• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
His agent also did a distasteful tweet today, considering all that went on since yesterday. No need for this type of communication today, even if we all know that he is leaving Deceuninck and probably going to Bora.

I'm starting to side with Lefevere on this one.

View: https://twitter.com/joaoisme/status/1395286927734190080

This kind of bullcrap is inexcusable. João would do good to get rid of this so-called 'agent' as soon as possible.

There is clearly a big conflict in the team. In Portuguese media, Almeida said he wanted to compete in stage 11, and the team made him wait and help Remco. He had to bite his lip in order not to say he was disappointed.
It's clear that Almeida's ambitions don't go well with the team orders. And I fear by the interviews of the DQS (Klaas Lodewyck) that he is too soft and unexperienced to manage this situation.
Compete for what? Top 15 in GC? Stage was gone.

While it's possible communications didn't work, he should always have stayed with Evenepoel, he shouldn't need to be told when his teammate is in 2nd place at 15 seconds from the leader in GC.

Good luck at Bora.

There’s no indication that he refused to follow orders. The team’s party-line is thank you, Joao, for your work rescuing Remco.
Right, hehe. Team orders were, since one week ago: everybody help Remco.

It’s childish. Then again Lefevere did go public about Almeida leaving much earlier than would be expected, which was presumably intended as a bit of an up yours to Almeida’s agent and new team.

Yeah, but that sort of thing is pretty common in cycling, riders switch back and forth between teams frequently as long as they are useful; that alone shouldn't cause any bad blood. There must have been more to the story.

His agent also did a distasteful tweet today, considering all that went on since yesterday. No need for this type of communication today, even if we all know that he is leaving Deceuninck and probably going to Bora.

I'm starting to side with Lefevere on this one.

View: https://twitter.com/joaoisme/status/1395286927734190080

this was as unnecessary as it was Lefevere’s statement about João leaving Deceunick in 2022.
It seems that Lefevere is harvesting what he sowed! Bad timing but probably related with eventual problems on Deceunick team bus yesterday after the stage events

As translated in the race topic:

"I felt good and had good sensations. I had the legs to battle with the best, but I had to follow the orders from the car to wait for Remco. If I feel disappointed? I rather shut my mouth then speak my mind. I'm learning everyday and today I learned a lot, in a fantastic stage where I could have gone far. Cycling is a colective sport and the DS are the ones in charge and we have to obey."

Basically, he thought "fvck Evenepoel, i don't care he's 2nd in GC". But he would rather not say it.

"I felt good and had good sensations. I had the legs to battle with the best, but I had to follow the orders from the car to wait for Remco. If I feel disappointed? I rather shut my mouth then speak my mind. I'm learning everyday and today I learned a lot, in a fantastic stage where I could have gone far. Cycling is a colective sport and the DS are the ones in charge and we have to obey."

Basically, he thought "fvck Evenepoel, i don't care he's 2nd in GC". But he would rather not say it.

You're forgetting that the team was not fair with him. First, they said he would be the leader then they give the number 1 to Remco. In the stage 4, he felt bad and the team didn't help him!

Although I can understand his feelings to a degree, I wouldn't have expected him to behave like this. Not very professional and what does he get from it?
Of course he's a bit in a bad place, there is no Portuguese WT team that would support him like a Belgian team treats a Belgian. But hey, he will leave the team next year anyway, he can choose a new team that supports him the way he wants it. I'm certain when he signed for DQS nobody promised him "you will be our GT leader".
DQS don't look great in handling this, but still I would have thought better of Almeida than to rebell (which it looks now he actually did yesterday) and make public statements like that during the race.

You're forgetting that the team was not fair with him. First, they said he would be the leader then they give the number 1 to Remco. In the stage 4, he felt bad and the team didn't help him!
If you want to twist facts, sure.
They went in with 2 leaders. Almeida and Evenepoel. Almeida got dropped, Evenepoel didn't. It's only normal that the only teammates still present, at that time, first try to help the teammate who did not get dropped. Furthermore, Masnada tried to stay with Remco, but only Serry (who got caught from the break) was able to help Remco for 1 or 2 minutes. Then both got dropped from the group of favorites and Almeida had support of 2 or 3 teammates when he crossed the line. Also Knox was there.

wonder how they (Almeida & Evenepoel) got on before. I remember Evenepoel attacking when Almeida almost made it back to the front group in Algarve. There was no need for that.

Were they still cool at that point and did things only turn sour when Almedia decided that he wanted to leave the team? Does anyone know?
That was Burgos, and Evenepoel did say that was a mistake of him.

the conditions were already there to form the perfect storm!! Saying that João would be the team leader, the public statement about João’s leaving Deceunick, then and after all Remco and João would be both leaders, the Jersey leader number for Remco, Deceunick convoy for the intermediate sprint for Remco and not João when João was 2 seconds ahead of Remco, the lack of immediate support for João at stage 4 (as far as I recall we was left alone when he cracked) and last yesterday’s stage!

Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
the conditions were already there to form the perfect storm!! Saying that João would be the team leader, the public statement about João’s leaving Deceunick, then and after all Remco and João would be both leaders, the Jersey leader number for Remco, Deceunick convoy for the intermediate sprint for Remco and not João when João was 2 seconds ahead of Remco, the lack of immediate support for João at stage 4 (as far as I recall we was left alone when he cracked) and last yesterday’s stage!
There seems to be some misunderstanding as to which of the two riders has the bigger status within the team, and within the peloton. It seems some people here are thinking that it is João who has the bigger status, because he got the opportunity to ride for himself last year, when Evenepoel got injured, and he finished 4th in the weakest Giro of all time. As if it has somehow put him on the same level as Evenepoel. He did good last year, but he was a stand-in. Evenepoel's situation was unclear to everyone since they could not know for long if he would get in good shape or not. But in case Evenepoel got in shape, it should always have been clear who #1 was. Evenepoel has 14 career wins at 21 and has been unable to race for 9 months. Almeida has 0 wins and turns 23.

Remco took 2 free seconds that were lying there to be taken. He doesn't need João's permission to take them.

I like a bit of speaking your mind. It's good to have the gentleman riders like Froome, or Roglic, but it's also good to have riders who tell it like it is, and add some spice. They are human after all.
Sure, and now we know what he was thinking. And it doesn't speak in his favor.

There seems to be some misunderstanding as to which of the two riders has the bigger status within the team, and within the peloton. It seems some people here are thinking that it is João who has the bigger status, because he got the opportunity to ride for himself last year, when Evenepoel got injured, and he finished 4th in the weakest Giro of all time. As if it has somehow put him on the same level as Evenepoel. He did good last year, but he was a stand-in. Evenepoel's situation was unclear to everyone since they could not know for long if he would get in good shape or not. But in case Evenepoel got in shape, it should always have been clear who #1 was. Evenepoel has 14 career wins at 21 and has been unable to race for 9 months. Almeida has 0 wins and turns 23.

Remco took 2 free seconds that were lying there to be taken. He doesn't need João's permission to take them.

The problem is that DCQ claimed they were coleaders. So when Remco struggled so early, what do you do? He could very easily have lost 10 min like Martin. Whatever Almeida’s mindset, he eventually pulled Remco for 30 km or so.

The problem is that DCQ claimed they were coleaders. So when Remco struggled so early, what do you do? He could very easily have lost 10 min like Martin. Whatever Almeida’s mindset, he eventually pulled Remco for 30 km or so.
He did. Way too late. Both he and Remco might have lost a lot less time had he not let Remco dangle at the back for 5km.
And they were co-leaders up to the point he himself got dropped and lost 5 minutes. The only thing he can be mad about, is that the team was not strong enough, and that he himself was not strong enough.

• Haha
Reactions: noob and ExperienPT

Status in the peloton means nothing, team arrangements are all that matter. If a rider is told he will be the leader, even if Coppi or Kelly is on the team, he will quite reasonably expect to be able to act in line with this arrangement. From quite early on it’s been clear that while DQS told the world and Almeida himself that he was the main leader for this race, they have in fact been treating him as the secondary option right from the start. That is a recipe for creating resentments.

They seem to have compounded the man management problem by then not making it clear prior to yesterday that Almeida was on pure Remco-rescuing duties. It seems very likely that he was not given a domestiques orders at the start but then was ordered to drop back after Evenepoel cracked - he did go back and the team’s public line is to thank him for his work, so there doesn’t appear to be any question of him defying orders (as opposed to resenting them, which he obviously does).

Evenepoel may be a much bigger talent. Certainly his results are incredibly impressive. But you can’t expect other talents to just automatically slot into their own role in your vision of the cosmic order. They aren’t going to be grateful for the mere opportunity to wash Remco’s feet. Particularly not when Evenepoel is coming back from a nine month lay off and appeared to be in the process of dying on the bike.

Status in the peloton means nothing, team arrangements are all that matter. If a rider is told he will be the leader, even if Coppi or Kelly is on the team, he will quite reasonably expect to be able to act in line with this arrangement. From quite early on it’s been clear that while DQS told the world and Almeida himself that he was the main leader for this race, they have in fact been treating him as the secondary option right from the start. That is a recipe for creating resentments.

They seem to have compounded the man management problem by then not making it clear prior to yesterday that Almeida was on pure Remco-rescuing duties. It seems very likely that he was not given a domestiques orders at the start but then was ordered to drop back after Evenepoel cracked - he did go back and the team’s public line is to thank him for his work, so there doesn’t appear to be any question of him defying orders (as opposed to resenting them, which he obviously does).

Evenepoel may be a much bigger talent. Certainly his results are incredibly impressive. But you can’t expect other talents to just automatically slot into their own role in your vision of the cosmic order. They aren’t going to be grateful for the mere opportunity to wash Remco’s feet. Particularly not when Evenepoel is coming back from a nine month lay off and appeared to be in the process of dying on the bike.
I was speaking as to the misunderstanding here, on the forum, not within the team.
Last week (after the stage Almeida lost 5 minutes) the team sat together and it was supposedly made clear, everybody was going to help Evenepoel.
And let's not pretend like the team did not give Almeida a chance of a lifetime last year. He wouldn't have got that chance riding for any other team, with what he had shown till then. Him being a #2 behind Evenepoel gave him the opportunity to show himself in Evenepoel's absence. Had he gone to Jumbo or Ineos, he would never have had that chance.

• Haha
Reactions: ExperienPT
On Remco's interview on the main CN page, he says it was a radio problem and Almeida didn't listen. There was also no TV signal in the car for a while.

I don't know if it's true or not, but one thing is certain: if Almeida had said the same thing as Remco this whole mess would be a non-issue. He was childish in his replies to the portuguese media, his agent is an idiot and even his father is posting some stupid stuff on social media.

I get that he's unhappy with the situation he's in, but at the end of the day, if you want respect you need to show respect. He better compose himself and stop with this nonsense, this type of behaviour will only hurt him in the future.

I was speaking as to the misunderstanding here, on the forum, not within the team.
Last week (after the stage Almeida lost 5 minutes) the team sat together and it was supposedly made clear, everybody was going to help Evenepoel.
And let's not pretend like the team did not give Almeida a chance of a lifetime last year. He wouldn't have got that chance riding for any other team, with what he had shown till then. Him being a #2 behind Evenepoel gave him the opportunity to show himself in Evenepoel's absence. Had he gone to Jumbo or Ineos, he would never have had that chance.

What does last year have to do with anything?

The team aren’t complaining about Almeida. They are thanking him. He was ordered to go back and rescue Remco and he did go back and rescue Remco, single handedly keeping Evenepoel in the running for some kind of GC result. If he’d refused to go back to help resuscitate the dying Remco, the team would not be making grateful/conciliatory statements. I don’t see what Evenepoel fans have to complain about except the consequences of ill advised team management.

My strong suspicion is that they did not expect the whole of what is on paper a very strong support squad to go AWOL early on the stage and they didn’t anticipate Remco needing the degree of help from Almeida that he did in fact need

As for Almeida not liking his orders, well that’s a consequence of DQS telling him he was option number one, then very obviously treating him as option number 2 right from the start. That kind of man management will typically produce that kind of issue.

• Sad
Reactions: noob
What does last year have to do with anything?

The team aren’t complaining about Almeida. They are thanking him. He was ordered to go back and rescue Remco and he did go back and rescue Remco, single handedly keeping Evenepoel in the running for some kind of GC result. If he’d refused to go back to help resuscitate the dying Remco, the team would not be making grateful/conciliatory statements. I don’t see what Evenepoel fans have to complain about except the consequences of ill advised team management.

My strong suspicion is that they did not expect the whole of what is on paper a very strong support squad to go AWOL early on the stage and they didn’t anticipate Remco needing the degree of help from Almeida that he did in fact need

As for Almeida not liking his orders, well that’s a consequence of DQS telling him he was option number one, then very obviously treating him as option number 2 right from the start. That kind of man management will typically produce that kind of issue.
Last year, in Evenepoel's absence, gave him the status he has now. Without last year, Almeida would be nothing more than a domestique and nobody, not his fans, not himself, would feel wronged by having to work for Evenepoel.

Again, team orders were: "everybody for Remco". He neglected his duties by clearly riding for his own account while Evenepoel was suffering in the back. There shouldn't have been an order coming from the team car, he should never have left Evenepoel's side to begin with.

TRENDING THREADS