• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I guess I'm late, but PCS has removed Almeida from the Vuelta startlist. He's racing Poland and Bretagne Classic instead (and, afterwards, Lombardia). Any Portuguese cycling fans know why?

He was set to race the Vuelta for GC. In fact, it was one of the reasons given why Evenepoel wasn't selected.

Found this article (not from a Portuguese major outlet, but from his home region) where he says he would do either the Olympics or the Vuelta:

Sad that he threw away a podium chance at the Vuelta to be out of form at the Olympics in two races that definitely didn't suit him.

Yes and no. He'll probably only get one half decent shot at the Olympics in his career, so it's understandable. The problem is you really needed the Tour to compete in the road race. In fact he was one of the best riders in the road race who didn't do the Tour. And he wasn't really a contender in the ITT anyway.

I disagree the road race didn't suit him. It did. He just came into it without optimal prep + the Olympics tends to have a high lottery element.

I guess I'm late, but PCS has removed Almeida from the Vuelta startlist. He's racing Poland and Bretagne Classic instead (and, afterwards, Lombardia). Any Portuguese cycling fans know why?

He was set to race the Vuelta for GC. In fact, it was one of the reasons given why Evenepoel wasn't selected.

I never saw anything saying he was doing the Vuelta. It was all speculation from cycling fans.
With the Giro in his legs I doubt he would do much in terms of GC.

Since day one both Almeida and Correia said that the goal after the Giro was To be in the olympics. if DQ called him for riding in La Vuelta would be over the top for a young rider that is still growing. Two GT in a single season for such a young rider IMO would do more harm then good. Be in the Olympics is the achievment of a lifetime for any athlete and Almeida has many seasons left to do La vuelta

Killer instinct is largely a buzz word for overrated guys who don't win that much anyway
I kind of disagree, it’s important to know how to finish off a race unless you are Pogacar and just drop people casually. Today is a good example, Almeida found a way to win against a rider that is probably faster than him all things equal.

anyway, I’m just glad it’s working out for him! :)

Reactions: Sandisfan
This is like a 3rd tier field, but he is showing he is levels above everyone else.

This will be good for his confidence and for his status in the peloton.

With a TT still to go I don't see how he could lose the race
A win is always a win, even if the field is not great.
Remco won most of his races in WT against weak fields and almost nobody talked of that "weak field", they just talked that he is the next "eddy merckx".
He already proved is potential. With just 23 years, he's got two top tens in a grand tour, and emirates didn't give a contract of 2/3 millions per year for no reason.
Just pogacar is above joao almeida in terms of young riders in this moment.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Remco won most of his races in WT against weak fields and almost nobody talked of that "weak field", they just talked that he is the next "eddy merckx".
He already proved is potential. With just 23 years, he's got two top tens in a grand tour, and emirates didn't give a contract of 2/3 millions per year for no reason.

Bernal. Vingegaard. Maybe even Evenepoel when he's fit. Maybe even Padun...
;)
Almeida is amazing. But no need to forget about the others.

Bernal. Vingegaard. Maybe even Evenepoel when he's fit. Maybe even Padun...
;)
Almeida is amazing. But no need to forget about the others.
All of them except remco have more than 23 years, that's what i tried to say, i didn't expressed well, my bad. And of course, they are all talented riders.
If we talk about all young riders, i cannot deny thay bernal is better than joao almeida, he's got 2 grand tours.

Reactions: noob
All of them except remco have more than 23 years, that's what i tried to say, i didn't expressed well, my bad. And of course, they are all talented riders.
If we talk about all young riders, i cannot deny thay bernal is better than joao almeida, he's got 2 grand tours.

Almeida is probably already amongst the top 10 GC riders in the World Tour, but we have to wait and see if he continues to develop into the next season asmuch as it seems he did from the last season to this one.

We must not forget that there's a lot of young guns showing themselves in the last couple of years and the trending in Pro cycling shoulf continue in the next few seasons.

Still i'm a huge fan of Almeida and he probably will in the future win a GT. Need to wait and see what are the plans that UAE has for him as a leader, as it seems obvious that he will be in Pogacar shadow at least in the next season.

Not to take anything away from Almeida's win but there was actualy a lot of talk from objective cycling fans about how Remco's wins have come mostly in weakish fields.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Not to take anything away from Almeida's win but there was actualy a lot of talk from objective cycling fans about how Remco's wins have come mostly in weakish fields.

true but let’s not forget that both, Remco and Almeida are youngsters and only in theirs 2nd pro year. For Christ sake, 10 years ago with their ages they would be competing in the under23 races. There’s a lot to improve in both of them in the next few years, we didn’t see yet the maximum potential of both.

true but let’s not forget that both, Remco and Almeida are youngsters and only in theirs 2nd pro year. For Christ sake, 10 years ago with their ages they would be competing in the under23 races. There’s a lot to improve in both of them in the next few years, we didn’t see yet the maximum potential of both.
I think this new young riders will reach their peak sooner than the riders of the past. I don't think this new riders will improve until 28 years, the age when the past riders reached their peak.
Today's riders start to develop more soon, so i believe they will reach their peak at around 25 years.

Almeida is technically in his fourth pro season, though he mostly raced U23 races in the first one, and Remco is definitely in his third, but I do agree with the rest of your post.

Reactions: groogster
I think this new young riders will reach their peak sooner than the riders of the past. I don't think this new riders will improve until 28 years, the age when the past riders reached their peak.
Today's riders start to develop more soon, so i believe they will reach their peak at around 25 years.

also true… just common sense, if you start to develop earlier you will also reach peak sooner

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts