• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not feeling that good as he said which doesn’t surprise me giving the fact that today’s weather conditions aren’t of his liking. As for the positioning he was riding with DQ and not Portugal NT and as we all know DQ are a winning machine and they always put their leaders in the right spot at all times

Ok so... we now back to where I started this in my head: he's really dependant on lots of domestique work to win. I mean he's not like say Vingegaard that sits on the wheels on other teams. Or Pog or Rog or Bernal, or for that matter Remco, that can go on longer attacks on their own. He's more of a finisher?

So it will be interesting to see if UAE will be as good at giving the kind of support he clearly needs. (I cannot deny that sometimes I see why QS calls themselves the wolf pack lol. And I am not convinced leaving QS will end up being the best decision)

Last edited:
Surprised he's skipping the TT. Saving up to be domestique for Evenepoel in Lombardia? :D

@yaco I keep being skeptic until I see it. For sure he has done some decent results in rain, but better in heat.
We’ll his bad day at the Giro this year was in the rain.

And to the point about needing domestiques, yes, it looks like he did need to have domestiques around him that day, to remind him to keep eating/drinking in the rain, and to keep him close to the front where the splits would be.

And to the point about needing domestiques, yes, it looks like he did need to have domestiques around him that day, to remind him to keep eating/drinking in the rain, and to keep him close to the front where the splits would be.
Yes. Although he did go in the breakaway in heavy rain on stage 16, and ended up 6. But that's maybe the only time he has done well in rain. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Also since he said he was following Hirshi wheel today, so I guess that would be a good sign for next year :D

Yes. Although he did go in the breakaway in heavy rain on stage 16, and ended up 6. But that's maybe the only time he has done well in rain. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Also since he said he was following Hirshi wheel today, so I guess that would be a good sign for next year :D
He had a bad bay because of bad alimentation in the giro. It wasn't because of the rain.

He had a bad bay because of bad alimentation in the giro. It wasn't because of the rain.

We are both right in a way. In this podcast he did speak about it a lot. The rain complicates eating since one if you open up your jacket you get very cold very fast. Voigt suggest he stick a bar in his pants instead. It's a fun conversation. He also talks about Remco and how he wants to improve as a rider. It's a good podcast. (Yesterday I fell asleep listening to the Sepp Kuss podcast lol.)

Ancient discussion…
At the time I posted my thoughts about it and today I think the same…
It’s not a domestique role to remind Almeida to feed himself properly, he’s not a child…
However he should have someone beside him at all times in that day

Ancient discussion…
At the time I posted my thoughts about it and today I think the same…
It’s not a domestique role to remind Almeida to feed himself properly, he’s not a child…
However he should have someone beside him at all times in that day
Actually I've heard a ds or cosch say it's part of ds job to remind riders to feed. That she couldn't stress enough just how important that is to do. And it was not about Almeida, it was about women's peleton. It was the first thing she mentioned even. It was this summer during a women's race. I can't remember which one. (Looking at the names I would guess it was Dani Rowe as she seems to be coaching as well as well as being a eurosport commentator)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
I think they are not related to him, it's likely some fan made page. Please stay away from those comment sections.

João's success has attracted a lot of new viewers to cycling in Portugal, but they are full of hatred and make the most stupid comments on social media. It's very cringe and embarassing reading those and it really gives a bad idea of how we are at supporting our athletes. For instance, when the european ITT finished DQS made a post congratulating Remco. The comment section was full of portuguese people complaining, because they didn't mention João's 10th place... they also didn't mention Cavagna or Asgreen, who finished above João, and there weren't any french or norwegian fans complaining... just petty portuguese fans.

When Rui Costa won the WC back in 2013 it was the same thing. The following year Lampre was bullied on social media if Rui didn't have the whole team at his disposal whenever he wished for.

I think they are not related to him, it's likely some fan made page. Please stay away from those comment sections.

João's success has attracted a lot of new viewers to cycling in Portugal, but they are full of hatred and make the most stupid comments on social media. It's very cringe and embarassing reading those and it really gives a bad idea of how we are at supporting our athletes. For instance, when the european ITT finished DQS made a post congratulating Remco. The comment section was full of portuguese people complaining, because they didn't mention João's 10th place... they also didn't mention Cavagna or Asgreen, who finished above João, and there weren't any french or norwegian fans complaining... just petty portuguese fans.

When Rui Costa won the WC back in 2013 it was the same thing. The following year Lampre was bullied on social media if Rui didn't have the whole team at his disposal whenever he wished for.
The go-to reply to such Portugese fans should just be Messi>Ronaldo

The reason I am asking is because they seem to have access to so many pics. Just wondered where on earth they would get them if they didn't have an insider following him around, or at least know someone that does. There's also a documentary on YouTube from his home that seems to be made of a journalist or something.

It's not too uncommon for fansites to become official in other fields, hence the question.

I am even nowhere near a comment section in cycling outside this forum :D

Reactions: Sandisfan

Triggered.

FBBjGGdUUAwMgMj

My weird sense of humour find this image hilarious and frustrating.

So freakin true, and it gets worse when someone talks something bad about almeida.
We, portuguese people act like the real wolfpack :tearsofjoy:
It's time. @Froome I have to ask. This image. It's tagged on his official Facebook account. It puzzles me as I tend to think Portugal has a macho culture, but I find Almeida to be protrayed very innocent, childlike, almost bordering on angelic. I don't think many riders would be portrayed cuddling their mascots in their beds. I have looked at other young riders and I don't find anything remotely similar this far. It's actually why I tend to like him. He doesn't fit the masculine macho man role. But how does it go with Portugal?
122202022_4064245386922858_5361361469334320896_n.jpg

TRENDING THREADS