• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
@carolina

Yes he needs to starts looking for a better position on the pack

"I told Ayuso to go..." seems like BS because then Ayuso came and said "Oh sorry radio problems..." So it seems Joao just wanted to excuse Ayuso behavior!

Ayuso has been given a free role in this race, that's for sure, but then Joao got the leadership and Ayuso didn't change the chip

Reactions: Sandisfan
From the interview on cyclingnews he says he was at the back of the peloton when Higuita and Carapaz attacked. He's always badly positioned, he really needs to work on this.

During the descent he said his wheels were slipping, because the tyre pressure was to high and he told Ayuso to go. This part I don't understand and it really shows lack of leadership skills. Why is he trying to be nice to his teammate when he's the leader and the teammate is there to help him?! Ridiculous to say the least.

A very disappointing day. It shows he still has much to learn in order to be a proper leader for the team. Let's see what happens tomorrow.
Like i said before sometimes in this forum, the 2 biggest issues of Almeida are his positioning inside the peloton and his descent capabilities. Can he solve both and we will have for sure a contender for wins at GT in years to come

thats HAOYANG ZHAO

Chinese, Italian and English speaker, he lives in Italy, where he began his career as a cycling press officer.
Thank you. I've rarely seen a press officier put themselves into the filming like that. Like he should be the exact person to know to stay low key in the background. Least his precsence is really there on purpose to make a point to someone. (It looks really bad from my journalist PR experience pov.)

I am so done with team management hanging riders out to dry. Whether it's Lefevre with Bennett, Movistar documentary, the Belgian boss with Remco after worlds or UAE having Almeida take the blame.

The two latter in particular. Imnsho responsibility is always a top down issue. So it's DS first, leader second and everyone else third.

Bad management from a state company in a dictatorship is even worse.

Almeida taking responsibility for his mistakes publicly all good, better than Wout after worlds vs Remco imo. But as a team management if you don't take responsibility, if you hang your own riders out to dry or throw them under the bus it shows you don't give a crap about your riders.

UAE is ruining cycling for me in so many ways. This is just yet another confirmation :(The rest not for this part of the forum.)

:imp::rage:

• Wow
I have looked forward to the giro since last season as it's the only GT without Pog (and Rog) and hence the GT that for me would be the most exciting. I have never expected Almeida to win it anyway. It's Carapaz for me. But I did look forward to see how Almeida would do if he had a solid leadership.

I personally had wished Vingegaard and Remco there as well, but still I have really really looked forward to it.

Now I don't know even more. UAE being crap management they might just *** Almeida over once again and then Yates having been ill now might make him less in form and I worry it might be all in all anticlimactic. Not that I would mind Lopez to be in contention either, but I just want it to be the best it can be before every GT is won by Pog for years to come.

• Wow
LR saying Almeida, Ayuso, McNulty, Maijka, Formolo on the provisional startlist for Itzulia.

Please tell me it won't happen :(

I don't think that Almeida would do Itzulia, and he hasn't been scheduled to do it so far.

PCS shows Ayuso, Bennett, Fischer, Formolo, Majka, McNulty and Soler doing Itzulia - which is going to be an interesting one to see from UAE's team management perspective. Will everyone work for MnNulty's GC or just go solo? My money is that the team will use Itzulia as a way of compensating guys like Formolo, Majka and Soler for the domestique duties, and let the leash out of them.

Regarding Almeida - I really can't seem him doing it as he will most likely be preparing for the Giro, and he always said that he wanted to have less race days this year, when compared to 2021.

As a non Portuguese I feel like I finally understand much better why he picked UAE; it's about connections. Apart from knowing Matxin he has many Portuguese riders there and Rui Costa in particular.

Looking back at the spring Costa and the twins seems loyal to him.

And also I believe it's the reason his positioning is worse. It's the same as the EC and World's. In QS it didn't happen.

Let's hope for the giro it's better.

Recommending this interview one's again. Also great ASMR content if you like soothing voices.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5e9rzaP_IUw&t=449s

Last edited:
As a non Portuguese I feel like I finally understand much better why he picked UAE; it's about connections. Apart from knowing Matxin he has many Portuguese riders there and Rui Costa in particular.

Looking back at the spring Costa and the twins seems loyal to him.

And also I believe it's the reason his positioning is worse. It's the same as the EC and World's. In QS it didn't happen.

Let's hope for the giro it's better.

Recommending this interview one's again. Also great ASMR content if you like soothing voices.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5e9rzaP_IUw&t=449s

It certainly played a role in his decision, and it's surely not a coincidence that both Rui Costa and Rui Oliveira will be riding the Giro with him. I would also not be surprised if Costa extended his contract with UAE this past Winter with a principle view of acting as an experienced road captain to Almeida, the same way as Majka has been acting to Pogacar.

• Love
Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
iTT worse then expected. I'm starting to see a trend here, since the end of last season and the start of this one, weaker on itt but stronger on mountain stages.

Almeida stated after todays iTT result "It was a nice parcours, quite technical, so I didn't take any big risks. I felt good and I'm quite happy with my time. These first few days are about not losing any big time on my rivals, so it's going well so far."

He also stated a few days ago to a Portuguese cycling podcast that his aim for this Years Giro is being in the podium and not winning it. He said that he still needs 1 more year of development before being ready to win the Giro.

TRENDING THREADS