• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
When someone tests positive during a race where do they go? Do they stay alone in their hotel room until testing negative? It would be such a bad idea to move them when they are ill.

I wondered about this with Bardet as well. Where he went. And I felt sorry for all the drivers and DS in the cars that had to help him while he threw up.

Bardet had to stay in the DS car, because the soigneur car was in another location.

I guess João will stay at the hotel for a few days. I don't know the protocol in Italy if you have covid.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
Right. After 5 days he will be tested, if still positive, then every few days afterward (but doubtless for him each day), until he is negative. Normally it takes 10 days.
  • Individuals who test positive in Italy will need to self-isolate between 7-21 days, depending on the specifics of the case. The self-isolation will occur at the traveler’s own expense.

From US Italian embassy.

So it seems right. I'd definitely stay at the hotel if I was ill but filthy rich.

Reactions: Sandisfan
  • Individuals who test positive in Italy will need to self-isolate between 7-21 days, depending on the specifics of the case. The self-isolation will occur at the traveler’s own expense.
From US Italian embassy.

So it seems right. I'd definitely stay at the hotel if I was ill but filthy rich.
Right, sorry, it was after 7 days not 5. You are tested after a week and that determines your status. At any rate, it's 7 days. If you test negative then you are free to resume normal life. Although my son (7 years) was placed in quarantine for 5 days and, testing negative, went back to school.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
I got more confident with is performance this Giro after his abandon. Dispite the controversy here, it's clear by the days after that he was the man to beat and top climbers always joined forces to eliminate him. They changed completely their climbing behavior. He needs to sort this for the future as it will be a recurrent situation because of his climb style (not going to the shock ever).

Almeida needs more watts.

He's the perfect profile of a potential GT winner (all rounder climber/time trialist), but as things stand neither his climbing is good enough nor his ITT is strong enough to make a huge difference & compensate for the climbing deficiency. He needs more consistency as well.

If he'd stayed in the race I don't think it's wildly speculative to suggest he would have shipped some monster time yesterday & seen the podium go completely beyond reach.

He's the perfect profile of a potential GT winner (all rounder climber/time trialist), but as things stand neither his climbing is good enough nor his ITT is strong enough to make a huge difference & compensate for the climbing deficiency. He needs more consistency as well.

If he'd stayed in the race I don't think it's wildly speculative to suggest he would have shipped some monster time yesterday & seen the podium go completely beyond reach.
Yes he needs to improve a bit his climbing power. But consistency is one his main qualities. We'll never know what would happen if he hadn't covid, but I belive he would be third at the end.

Big mouth strikes again.
If you want to make predictions about the future, you have to at least back it up and provide solid evidence. Instead, you bully others with your "knowledge".
As for the list of GC riders that have not won a GC, here it goes: Uran, Yates, Mas, Hindley, Lopez, Kruijwik, etc...not winning a GT YET doesn't mean they are not able to win a GT.
Again. A team doesn't pay a teamleader for the GT's, when that "teamleader" isn't able to win (or end at least on the podium). Having the qualities to win a stage in a GT, or to win a minor stage race, isn't enough to win a GT. To be at top three weeks long, to have the mental qualities. That's what counts. If good climbers and GT-riders don't proof to be able to win a GT, they become (good payed) domestiques. That's how it works in the cycling world. And Almeida is "a patient at risk". He
he will probably become Pogacar's lieutenant in the future. At Lefevere he might have become the first leader for the GT's, if Evenepoel couldn't. But not in the Pogacar-team.

Again. A team doesn't pay a teamleader for the GT's, when that "teamleader" isn't able to win (or end at least on the podium). Having the qualities to win a stage in a GT, or to win a minor stage race, isn't enough to win a GT. To be at top three weeks long, to have the mental qualities. That's what counts. If good climbers and GT-riders don't proof to be able to win a GT, they become (good payed) domestiques. That's how it works in the cycling world. And Almeida is "a patient at risk". He
he will probably become Pogacar's lieutenant in the future. At Lefevere he might have become the first leader for the GT's, if Evenepoel couldn't. But not in the Pogacar-team.
Maybe will have already some answers this Vuelta. Looking forward for it.

I got more confident with is performance this Giro after his abandon. Dispite the controversy here, it's clear by the days after that he was the man to beat and top climbers always joined forces to eliminate him. They changed completely their climbing behavior. He needs to sort this for the future as it will be a recurrent situation because of his climb style (not going to the shock ever).
Wrong. They didn't join forces on purpose, it just turned out that when there was an acceleration they couldn't drop Almeida or each other. That doesn't mean joining forces was deliberate.

Ver funny how people confuse riders performance with a physical quantity called watts. Sports is about the spirit.

If he'd stayed in the race he would certainly be in the podium. He's performace in stage 17 was already covid related. In my view you have no evidence whatsoever for such allegations besides personal prejudice.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS