• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 59 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Again. A team doesn't pay a teamleader for the GT's, when that "teamleader" isn't able to win (or end at least on the podium). Having the qualities to win a stage in a GT, or to win a minor stage race, isn't enough to win a GT. To be at top three weeks long, to have the mental qualities. That's what counts. If good climbers and GT-riders don't proof to be able to win a GT, they become (good payed) domestiques. That's how it works in the cycling world. And Almeida is "a patient at risk". He
he will probably become Pogacar's lieutenant in the future. At Lefevere he might have become the first leader for the GT's, if Evenepoel couldn't. But not in the Pogacar-team.
You don't know how it works in the cycling world. Period. It always struck me that you had more coming than Almeida showed but now I can see how leaving Quickstep has a bearing on your whole interpretation of this particular rider. I'll thus proceed to ignore you because while you don't write sensible or clever arguments you constantly refuse to acknowledge what others keep writing you about 1) Almeida's contract in UAE; 2) his performance in this Giro and 3) other riders in other teams.
Well, as far as Almeida is concerned, we have already received an answer in the Giro.
In your wretched logic Carapaz will now be a domestique in INEOS.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Ver funny how people confuse riders performance with a physical quantity called watts. Sports is about the spirit.

If he'd stayed in the race he would certainly be in the podium. He's performace in stage 17 was already covid related. In my view you have no evidence whatsoever for such allegations besides personal prejudice.

Haha! Amazing.

Look man, I'm just watching bike races. I have no interest in Almeida beyond the fact he's a contender in some of the races I watch on TV.

But, I can also say without doubt Landa, Carapaz & of course Hindley are better climbers than Almeida... & we've just had a Giro with practically no TT whatsoever. It's not today's 17km TT (partly uphill as well) which would have changed anything either. And everyone has their excuses as well regarding their legs (or lack thereof). Maybe Carapaz had the same problem as Porte & wasn't feeling well? Or maybe he just couldn't live with Hindley's power output yesterday. Who knows, except the material point a hierarchy exists in this race & no, Almedia wasn't among the top 3.

So to throw around accusations of "personal prejudice" in a conversation about a sportsman's performance in a bike race... yeah, no.

Ver funny how people confuse riders performance with a physical quantity called watts. Sports is about the spirit.

If he'd stayed in the race he would certainly be in the podium. He's performace in stage 17 was already covid related. In my view you have no evidence whatsoever for such allegations besides personal prejudice.
I don't think Almeida could end on the podium. He had to let the top three ride on every last climb. On the last climb of the Giro he would probably have lost two minutes.

You don't know how it works in the cycling world. Period. It always struck me that you had more coming than Almeida showed but now I can see how leaving Quickstep has a bearing on your whole interpretation of this particular rider. I'll thus proceed to ignore you because while you don't write sensible or clever arguments you constantly refuse to acknowledge what others keep writing you about 1) Almeida's contract in UAE; 2) his performance in this Giro and 3) other riders in other teams.

In your wretched logic Carapaz will now be a domestique in INEOS.
In the future Carapaz will.... I think this was his last chance to win a GT. He is 29 already. From now on domestique ! Almeida is young and still has a (small) chance to perform in a GT. But you can't deny that Almeida would have been the leader at Lefevere in the upcoming Tour. A Tour de France that should suit him better than the Giro with much less steep climbs. Take off your colored Portuguese glasses and watch cycling in an independent way, based on facts and science.

Last edited:
Haha! Amazing.

Look man, I'm just watching bike races. I have no interest in Almeida beyond the fact he's a contender in some of the races I watch on TV.

But, I can also say without doubt Landa, Carapaz & of course Hindley are better climbers than Almeida... & we've just had a Giro with practically no TT whatsoever. It's not today's 17km TT (partly uphill as well) which would have changed anything either. And everyone has their excuses as well regarding their legs (or lack thereof). Maybe Carapaz had the same problem as Porte & wasn't feeling well? Or maybe he just couldn't live with Hindley's power output yesterday. Who knows, except the material point a hierarchy exists in this race & no, Almedia wasn't among the top 3.

So to throw around accusations of "personal prejudice" in a conversation about a sportsman's performance in a bike race... yeah, no.
Again, I'm pointing out with other interpretationshow predictions about the future are underdetermined and the burden of proof is on makes such clear predictions. Just look at polls!

To assert like you did this or that about Almeida or any other rider with so much certainty regarding his behavior seems to me to be botched. Almeida is a greater TTer than climber? Agreed. Would he loose time on stage 19 or stage 20? Perhaps. Monster time? Back it up.

Again, I'm pointing out with other interpretationshow predictions about the future are underdetermined and the burden of proof is on makes such clear predictions. Just look at polls!

To assert like you did this or that about Almeida or any other rider with so much certainty regarding his behavior seems to me to be botched. Almeida is a greater TTer than climber? Agreed. Would he loose time on stage 19 or stage 20? Perhaps. Monster time? Back it up.

Well, that was a sensible comment from Rackham. Your reaction, Elos Anjos, is as always cramped, chauvinistic and not showing cycling knowledge.

Well, open your eyes. Carapaz is 29. You will no doubt be able to tell me how many GTs he has already won.
Even this year, with mediocre opponents like Hindley, Landa and Almeida, he can't win yet. If Bardet hadn't given up, Carapaz would have only finished third .... and Almeida only fifth

Since when is 29y old for GC guy? Just becasue some younger guys in their early 20s are winning, doesn't mean "older" riders are out.

Well, as far as Almeida is concerned, we have already received an answer in the Giro.
And what answer did you get? The fact that he was infected with covid with his immune system working against a nasty virus for at least 48 prior to his positive test while he climbed 1st CAT mountains on Tuesday and Wednesday and even so losing only 1 minute?

In the future Carapaz will.... I think this was his last chance to win a GT. He is 29 already. From now on domestique ! Almeida is young and still has a (small) chance to perform in a GT. But you can't deny that Almeida would have been the leader at Lefevere in the upcoming Tour. A Tour de France that should suit him better than the Giro with much less steep climbs. Take off your colored Portuguese glasses and watch cycling in an independent way, based on facts and science.
I think Almeida already decided to leave Quickstep before the Tour's route was public.
And how could he not leave Quickstep?
A classic's team that sturbbornly made him work for an injured rider in last year's Giro gave him no safe ground to his growth as a rider and as an athlete.
Finnaly, facts and science have their place in cycling like in politics but ultimately individuals make decisions and take risks. Turning cycling into facts and sciences means to destroy it.

Last edited:
If he'd stayed in the race I don't think it's wildly speculative to suggest he would have shipped some monster time yesterday & seen the podium go completely beyond reach.

we could also say that at this moment of his development it isn’t also wildly speculative to say that without being infected with covid he could have stayed at least with Landa and Carapaz in that type of final climb, because we already saw him doing that in the past.

And what answer did you get? The fact that he was infected with covid with his immune system working against a nasty virus for at least 48 prior to his positive test while he climbed 1st CAT mountains on Tuesday and Wednesday and even so losing only 1 minute?

I think it is reasonable to assume the others are better climbers, but we don't know by how much.

IMO, Almeida would have lost time either way, but it wouldn't be much more than 30s and the 3rd place on the GC was absolutely possible.

I hope he manages a top 10 at the Vuelta while helping Pogacar. That seems very doable.

Reactions: noob and groogster
I think it is reasonable to assume the others are better climbers, but we don't know by how much.

IMO, Almeida would have lost time either way, but it wouldn't be much more than 30s and the 3rd place on the GC was absolutely possible.

I hope he manages a top 10 at the Vuelta while helping Pogacar. That seems very doable.
We can’t disagree with that, based only on performances from them in mountain stages yet I also see assumptions about the likelihood of Almeida loosing monster time on Fedaia when, also looking at his results since 2019, we can see that it barely happened and more often he lost a few seconds. There is a lot of speculation about Almeida’s chances of winning a GT in the future being to thin. What data and past record show us is that with the right type of a GT profile for his attributes he may have a real chance. But let’s just wait and see what future brings.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
I think Almeida already decided to leave Quickstep before the Tour's route was public.
And how could he not leave Quickstep?
A classic's team that sturbbornly made him work for an injured rider in last year's Giro gave him no safe ground to his growth as a rider and as an athlete.
Finnaly, facts and science have their place in cycling like in politics but ultimately individuals make decisions and take risks. Turning cycling into facts and sciences means to destroy it.
No problem leaving a team, Quickstep or another team. But I didn't understood his choice. Emirates ? The team of doping gurus Gianetti and Matxin. The team where Pogacar is/will be the only leader the next ten years.
if that was a conscious choice of Almeida as a first domestique, OK. But if he thinks/thought that he would be the second team leader in GT's or the first team leader in the future, well, then Almeida is extreme naive.
And concerning his level and results during the Giro. The Covid did affect his last two days. But the days before, Almeida was strong, but not strong enough versus Bardet, Carapaz, Hindley and Landa. This season, with one win in Catalonia, he proved making no progress since last season. Unless he gets a few more victories in the following months, and then finishes on the podium in the Vuelta, I don't think he will be a top rider.

Unless he gets a few more victories in the following months, and then finishes on the podium in the Vuelta, I don't think he will be a top rider.

I'm glad that you were not Nibali's DS, who won his first GT at 25, major stage race at 27 (T-A) and first monument podium at 26. Or Sastre, who didn't even podium a GT before turning 30. Just let the riders have their own path, some are slower picking up, and some are quicker. Almeida is 23 and can still get that GT victory in 2 years - and he wouldn't be exactly old. Carapaz might not win another GT with INEOS, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him leaving and winning again, as he is much better suited as an underdog (see ORR).

Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
I actually think Almeida would have paced himself really well on Fedaia, and it would probably depend on how bad Landa's pacing was.
But Landa paced Fedaia quite well, didn't he lose only 39 seconds to Hindley?
Having said that, even with an ITT where the climb basically made up 60% of the time, Landa once again did an absolute horrific time trial so I have no doubt he actually would've lost 2 minutes and potentially the podium to Almeida yesterday.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts