• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm glad that you were not Nibali's DS, who won his first GT at 25, major stage race at 27 (T-A) and first monument podium at 26. Or Sastre, who didn't even podium a GT before turning 30. Just let the riders have their own path, some are slower picking up, and some are quicker. Almeida is 23 and can still get that GT victory in 2 years - and he wouldn't be exactly old. Carapaz might not win another GT with INEOS, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him leaving and winning again, as he is much better suited as an underdog (see ORR).
I don't think you understand my opinion. I think it's sad that good riders (with GT/climbing capacities) have to put away their ambitions so quickly, to end as "domestique". That's partly their own fault, as we can see at Almeida. He chose too soon to change teams. So he misses a piece of the necessary education/training in a team with less pressure. As a first helper or as an occasional leader.
I think it's better to be a leader in a smaller team, after a few years as apprentice (in a big team or a smaller team, doesn' matter). And to end in the top 5 or top 8 of a GT. Instead of ending as a domestique in a big team (Porte, Kwia and a few others). Almeida has made the same mistake. Unless he proves that he can win a grand tour in the short term (which he didn't prove), he"ll end as a domestique till the end of his career. The more Pogacar towers above it as the leader.

Really sad.

Wtf are you talking about?! He´s just 23 years old. Forget about pogacar. Who's better than him grand tours with less than 23 years?! He´s got already two top 10 at the giro.
The potential is high, give him time. And covid probably make difference in his perfomances.
He´s to well paid to just be pogacar´s domestique in the next 5 years.
Of course Almeida has qualities. But he will never get the chance to fully develop into a candidate winner. He should be able to grow up for at least three more years. But Emirates will never wait that long. If next year it is not possible to ride at least a podium in a GT, he will definitely be called in as a domestique. But a good domestique.

Of course Almeida has qualities. But he will never get the chance to fully develop into a candidate winner. He should be able to grow up for at least three more years. But Emirates will never wait that long. If next year it is not possible to ride at least a podium in a GT, he will definitely be called in as a domestique. But a good domestique.
Far too many of the top young riders does this. Almeida and Ayuso to UAE, Rodriguez to Ineos. And earlier; Hirschi, Pog and Bernal to one of those teams. They sweep the market for the top young riders. At least I hope that one of the Spaniards ends up in Movistar in the end.

Yes, but the "His last chance to win a GT" bit implies he has not yet won a GT, which we all know isn't true.
He did won one GT.... as Thomas did. But he hasn't been able to confirm since, as has Thomas. Bernal's loss after his terrible crash means INEOS has no one to win a GT this season. But from next season, both Carapaz and Thomas will be domestiques for Bernal and Pidcock. Carapaz might get a few more chances to ride the less famous Giro or Vuelta.... but not for the win. Because too tired by slavery in the Tour but also because of age.

I was able to read the rest of the interview in the portuguese newspaper. Some key points:
- during the 17th stage (his last stage), his power numbers were lower then usual;
- during the night he got a fever, cold sweats and pain all over his body. Did 3 covid tests, all of them positive;
- his parents were in Italy, so the team got them a car and they drove to Portugal. He was able to recover from covid in his home;
- was not surprised by Hindley's victory, he looked to be stronger then the others;
- happy with the team support, but talks about Formolo not being 100% because of a knee injury he sustained before the Giro;
- he will be a co-leader at the Vuelta with Pogacar, but he also said, and I quote: "I told him I would work for him and he told me he would work for me, so I think we're good".

I was able to read the rest of the interview in the portuguese newspaper. Some key points:
  • during the 17th stage (his last stage), his power numbers were lower then usual;
  • during the night he got a fever, cold sweats and pain all over his body. Did 3 covid tests, all of them positive;
  • his parents were in Italy, so the team got them a car and they drove to Portugal. He was able to recover from covid in his home;
  • was not surprised by Hindley's victory, he looked to be stronger then the others;
  • happy with the team support, but talks about Formolo not being 100% because of a knee injury he sustained before the Giro;
  • he will be a co-leader at the Vuelta with Pogacar, but he also said, and I quote: "I told him I would work for him and he told me he would work for me, so I think we're good".
That quote! :joycat::tearsofjoy: I am no Pog fan, but that quote was golden!:joycat::joycat::joycat:

Third in ITT nationals yesterday. Reis won and Oliveira second. I wonder how much was because of Almeida giro covid.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/nc-portugal/2022/result

No worries here, he just won the Portuguese national road Championship with a solo win. He seems to have overcome covid. As far as his performance at the national itt yesterday it starts to become obvious that he is worse than in the last 2 years. Probably because his training this year was more orientated for climbing and less for itt and because of the bike change. I don't see that he will be better this season at itt, we will have to wait for next season to see if it's a trend or not.

It seems that you don´t get tired of this continuous hammering of the nail on Almeida´s future prospect as a team leader. Let me tell you that imo you are talking absolute nonsense. He was hired to be a team leader, that's why UAE paid big money, not to be a domestique. Besides Pogacar won't be able to run 3 GT in a season and the only other rider in UAE with a team leader profile and potential is Ayuso which still as a lot to prove, more than Almeida btw. I don´t have any doubts that Almeida will have 1 GT per season as a team leader during his 5 year long contract, because he has what it takes to be one and secondly because there's a clause in his contract that ensures him that ;)
As a side note, in this Giro he already showed that he has improved in the high mountain stages and running that stage 17 with covid only to lose 1:10 to Carapaz and Hindley was something of a wonder performance! He may even rode with covid in stages 14, 15 and 16 so...
Despite what people may say, having a nasty virus in your body starts from day 1 to take a toll on your energy levels, because your body starts right away to fight agains it which consumes a lot of energy from you. If it's ok to have covid while working at a office, everything changes when we are at the highest competitive level, so if you ask me, without covid Almeida would probably ended top3 at this Giro edition. Just imagine having a nasty cold or a nasty flu while riding a GT and you get the picture!

It seems that you don´t get tired of this continuous hammering of the nail on Almeida´s future prospect as a team leader. Let me tell you that imo you are talking absolute nonsense. He was hired to be a team leader, that's why UAE paid big money, not to be a domestique. Besides Pogacar won't be able to run 3 GT in a season and the only other rider in UAE with a team leader profile and potential is Ayuso which still as a lot to prove, more than Almeida btw. I don´t have any doubts that Almeida will have 1 GT per season as a team leader during his 5 year long contract, because he has what it takes to be one and secondly because there's a clause in his contract that ensures him that ;)

He's an obvious belgian troll that keeps writing nonsense and wants praise as a cycling expert.

By the way, in Portuguese newspapers Almeida stated that his goals in the Vuelta will be fighting for GC.

No worries here, he just won the Portuguese national road Championship with a solo win. He seems to have overcome covid. As far as his performance at the national itt yesterday it starts to become obvious that he is worse than in the last 2 years. Probably because his training this year was more orientated for climbing and less for itt and because of the bike change. I don't see that he will be better this season at itt, we will have to wait for next season to see if it's a trend or not.
Yay! Now I will recognise him from afar in every single race he's in! :hearteyes::hearteyecat:

Happy to read this. I tried to find the info yesterday about if he would do the rr, but I couldn't even find the race on pcs. It was flooded with all the nationals of every other country. So he's back :)

Reactions: Sandisfan
So after the dust settled down on the Tour and Pogi not going to the Vuelta, how does the future look to Almeida?

In my view, he has a golden chance to prove himself as a GC contender in the context of UAE being a runner-up in this year's most prestigious race and one that was considered already in the bag. Well, we all saw what happened. Pogi lost because of a depleted team, his own mistakes in the first week and specially in stage 11 and very, very strong Jumbo team.

If Almeida can podium in La Vuelta, he has arguments for not being tasked with Super Domestique duties further in 2023. Otherwise, I can see how the tides will turn to cast him as a thorough strategy: UAE will for the 2023 Tour onslaught by bringing a better team.

Reactions: Extinction
So after the dust settled down on the Tour and Pogi not going to the Vuelta, how does the future look to Almeida?

In my view, he has a golden chance to prove himself as a GC contender in the context of UAE being a runner-up in this year's most prestigious race and one that was considered already in the bag. Well, we all saw what happened. Pogi lost because of a depleted team, his own mistakes in the first week and specially in stage 11 and very, very strong Jumbo team.

If Almeida can podium in La Vuelta, he has arguments for not being tasked with Super Domestique duties further in 2023. Otherwise, I can see how the tides will turn to cast him as a thorough strategy: UAE will for the 2023 Tour onslaught by bringing a better team.
The future for Almeida became more or less settled the day he signed his contract with UAE. He has a clause that guarantees that he will have 1 GT per season as a team Leader. It was the main condition that he and his manager made to the teams that wanted him. As far as playing a domestique role for Pogacar I’m sure that after what happened in TDF this year that UAE will attach him to Pogacar next year in TDF ( there isn’t any available good riders for domestique role at those mountain stages for signing) so Almeida will be the only available option for helping Pogacar. So next season he will probably ride the Giro as a team leader once again and then he will have to do the extra work for being in good form to work for Pogacar 5 weeks later. I’m also foreseeing Ayuso having a shot as a team leader next year at La Vuelta.
IMO the future for Almeida seems bright, he has that rare ability of being very consistent in terms of final GC results (always inside top10) since his debut as a professional. If it wasn’t for covid I’m convinced that he would be in the podium in this year Giro. I’m convinced that in that stage 29 he would probably in the worst scenario, arrive with Landa and would have nailed it in the final itt for the 3rd place.

Last edited:
I think Almeida is one of the favourites for La Vuelta. If neither of the big 3 GT riders (Pogačar, Roglič, Vingegård) races it as it seems to be likely I don't see anyone head and shoulders ahead of him. Someone like Carapaz will likely still be the slight favourite especially if Ineos brings riders like Martinez, Adam Yates or Kwiatkowski but unlike in the Giro, there will be a 'long' TT where Almeida can put 1 minute into him. Hindley is also a candidate but I don't think the route suits that him that well when compared to the Giro and Simon Yates is the inconsistent as we know. Then there is a strong Bahrein squad likely without a strong enough leader and Evenepoel, which is big question mark of the race, so I rate his chances pretty high.

I think Almeida is one of the favourites for La Vuelta. If neither of the big 3 GT riders (Pogačar, Roglič, Vingegård) races it as it seems to be likely I don't see anyone head and shoulders ahead of him. Someone like Carapaz will likely still be the slight favourite especially if Ineos brings riders like Martinez, Adam Yates or Kwiatkowski but unlike in the Giro, there will be a 'long' TT where Almeida can put 1 minute into him. Hindley is also a candidate but I don't think the route suits that him that well when compared to the Giro and Simon Yates is the inconsistent as we know. Then there is a strong Bahrein squad likely without a strong enough leader and Evenepoel, which is big question mark of the race, so I rate his chances pretty high.
It will depend if Almeida reaches La Vuelta at his peak form, if so, he surely has solid chances to reach podium and with some luck on his side maybe a shot of winning it. ATM i don't rate Carapaz ahead of Almeida in a profile like this years Vuelta. I'm waiting with big antecipation what Evenepoel and Hindley can do and besides Roglic i think that atm they are the main contenders for winning it. Still looking forward to see what kind of form Bernal can deliver, surely not for GC but to see if he will completely recover from his injuries!