• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 62 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ayuso is yet to win a race and in 12 months he is the leader at the Vuelta?
I’m seeing as possible because, Almeida will probably do Giro and then Domestique work for Poga at TDF so he’s out of the question for La Vuelta and probably Pogacar won’t do TDF and La Vuelta so…
Between McNulty (probably in the UAE team for TDF) and Ayuso I believe that’s possible yes.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I’m seeing as possible because, Almeida will probably do Giro and then Domestique work for Poga at TDF so he’s out of the question for La Vuelta and probably Pogacar won’t do TDF and La Vuelta so…
Between McNulty (probably in the UAE team for TDF) and Ayuso I believe that’s possible yes.
Do you think Ayuso needs to actually win a race and be decent in one or two one week stage races.

Do you think Ayuso needs to actually win a race and be decent in one or two one week stage races.

He finished 4th and 5th GC in Catalunya and Romandie this spring. It will still be a stretch to have him riding as leader at next year’s Vuelta, but I could see a scenario where if there isn’t Poga or Almeida, and if someone like McNulty hasn’t really step up GC wise until then, that Ayuso is UAE’s GC man, even if not wearing jersey no. 1.

Oh wow. I just saw in this thread he's riding alone vuelta GC. Or will Mcnulty be coleader? Who is confirmed for it? :)

I look forward to Almeida Remco showdown. But I guess Hindley wins. (Hoping for Rogla, but doubt he's fully recovered by then sadly).

I'd say McNulty will want to be a co-leader. He talked about having a leadership role after helping Pogacar in the Tour.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
He finished 4th and 5th GC in Catalunya and Romandie this spring. It will still be a stretch to have him riding as leader at next year’s Vuelta, but I could see a scenario where if there isn’t Poga or Almeida, and if someone like McNulty hasn’t really step up GC wise until then, that Ayuso is UAE’s GC man, even if not wearing jersey no. 1.
Exactly what comes to my mind regarding Ayuso. I think that he’s already the best bet for GC in UAE after Poga and Almeida. I don’t expect Ayuso to ride La Vuelta this year because UAE already said he won’t be doing GT. Next year is a different matter with the prospect of Almeida doing Giro as a leader and then working for Poga at TDF I really think that Ayuso will have a shot as a Leader or co-leader for La Vuelta

Last edited:
Yeah I expected that. I expect Majka probably wants a free role, at least to some extent. And Soler definitely would want freedom since it's Spain.

If those guys will actually all go there that is.
I'd say McNulty will want to be a co-leader. He talked about having a leadership role after helping Pogacar in the Tour.
I expect McNulty to be co-leader or in the worst case scenario a protected rider for La Vuelta. Soler will surely have some freedom for breakaways. I expect Majka to work for Almeida.

Reactions: noob
What happened with the crash? Anyone knows? He did DNF in the end.

PCS says he's doing Burgos as well.

I would also like to know. Already send a message to a friend who is close to him but still waiting for him to see it. My guess is that was nothing major but we’ll have to wait to know for sure. As soon as I have information regarding his condition I will share it here.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
I would also like to know. Already send a message to a friend who is close to him but still waiting for him to see it. My guess is that was nothing major but we’ll have to wait to know for sure. As soon as I have information regarding his condition I will share it here.
Thanks. I have hardly ever seen him crash. And absolutely not getting injured ever since I started watch him giro 2020. Which I would say it quite unusual.

I am starting to wonder about their bikes soon. Pog screaming "*** these tyres" and all mechanicals for so many UAE riders lately gotta be some clue about something.

Thanks. I have hardly ever seen him crash. And absolutely not getting injured ever since I started watch him giro 2020. Which I would say it quite unusual.

I am starting to wonder about their bikes soon. Pog screaming "*** these tyres" and all mechanicals for so many UAE riders lately gotta be some clue about something.
He had a crash in the baby giro when he had the victory within his grasp. Because of that crash he lost it to Vlasov ending 2nd in the GC. That’s the only crash of Almeida I can remember.

These are great places for a 19 yo. And in a year he can get significantly better, which is normal at his age. I wouldn't rule out him being a co-leader / protected rider comes the next year's Vuelta but this depends on his stage-race results next year OFC.

Now that Pogacar is not participating in the Vuelta, Almeida will get his chance. He should definitely be able to make it to the podium. It is therefore a real GT-rider. But I don't think he has the qualities to reach the absolute top in the GT work.

He should have stayed with Lefevere for two more years. To become a real leader in a (smaller) team without a candidate GT winner. It is quite possible that he will stay ahead of Evenepoel in the Vuelta. But that means nothing for his future as a GT rider. Because Evenepoel is not a real GT rider as Almeida is.
I fear that Almeida will just have to work in the Tour for Pogacar next season. Besides Majka and McNulty. While he could compete in another team for a top five place.

• Wow
Now that Pogacar is not participating in the Vuelta, Almeida will get his chance. He should definitely be able to make it to the podium. It is therefore a real GT-rider. But I don't think he has the qualities to reach the absolute top in the GT work.

He should have stayed with Lefevere for two more years. To become a real leader in a (smaller) team without a candidate GT winner. It is quite possible that he will stay ahead of Evenepoel in the Vuelta. But that means nothing for his future as a GT rider. Because Evenepoel is not a real GT rider as Almeida is.
I fear that Almeida will just have to work in the Tour for Pogacar next season. Besides Majka and McNulty. While he could compete in another team for a top five place.
How do we know Evenepoel isn’t a real GT rider yet exactly? Just curious.

TRENDING THREADS