• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jobie Dajka found dead

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Sad. The alcohol and drugs as coping mechanisms didn't work, beating up his coach didn't work either. He must have been in a very dark place.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Don't think it is really suitable for discussion.,

We made the mistake of releasing the terrible news of his passing on our twitter updates.

We were contacted by friends asking us to respect his passing.

it is possible that if it were not for the doping within cycling, Jobie's life might have taken a different path.

No one knows the full details and perhaps it is better for no speculation at this juncture.

I agree that we should not mark out any individual case, especially in
the sad time for his family and friends.
We wish condolence to his family and friends.

I hope jobie has found rest.
RIP

> myles
http://www.bikepure.org

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
bikepure said:
it is possible that if it were not for the doping within cycling, Jobie's life might have taken a different path.

No one knows the full details and perhaps it is better for no speculation at this juncture.

I
http://www.bikepure.org

Screw all these speculations and heart attack deaths/suicides/overdoses, etc. It no longer surprises me one bit to see teenagers doping, riders coming out of retirement to win the Tour at 40, whatever else.

Instead truly combat doping>>>>>

BikePure needs to promote total body hemoglobin testing and power profiling of top riders, I dont understand why not?!

Greg LeMond had a super-simple solution at Lance's coming out of retirement party in Las Vegas--Track his power files and total body hemolglobin test him. Why do sites like Matt Decanio's (which is now gone) and BikePure not advocate for this?

why not keep to yourselves and promote some ideas that testers like Michael Aschenden, and an anti-doping guy like LeMond would support?

I think its better to have a solution to the problem, protest until the solution is implemented instead of having a bunch of guys competing in a system where there is potential blood doping going on widespread. It makes NO SINCE to me why these REAL solutions have not been advertised and why the cycling community does not demand guys like Ivan Basso and Lance to have a governing body or agency like WADA take Lance's SRM files and post them, along with is total body hemoglobin volume from week to week.

Also, I'm not seeing the Garmin Team having their power values being tracked by an independent body. I would like to see how many watts some of those guys can hold for an hour, from week to week. Not just in races.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
blood on the hands of sport obsessed culture

Gotta feel sorry for the guy...
but...welll
I was happy when he got banned.... no good for the sport I thought.
He was either a cheat and a liar or just really stupid- stupid beyond belief.
2year bans aren't enough-

sport's only a game...our olympic culture might have us think otherwise...

this 'career' emphasis doesn't make the sport any better for anyone.

so he was a kid brainwashed by dreams of glory and a gov't that fuelled it...gave him bikes and coaching and pushed and pushed

and he got desperate and

he had no better ideas.

hmmm

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
bikepure said:
It is possible that if it were not for the doping within cycling, Jobie's life might have taken a different path.

It's possible that if cycling weren't a sport and bikes didn't exist his life would have taken a different path too.

Instead, I'd rather remember him for his contribution to our beloved sport and regret that another life has been lost at the hand of depression, while mourning the loss of a fellow human and leave it at that.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I guess we will know more in time and in my opinion out of respect to Jobie and his family, we really shouldn't speculate about why or how. They have lost their child, brother, friend.

It's a hard time for anyone in their position, I wouldn't want to make it worse for them.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Greg Johnson said:
Instead, I'd rather remember him for his contribution to our beloved sport and regret that another life has been lost at the hand of depression, while mourning the loss of a fellow human and leave it at that.

Cycling media purports that it is insensitive to dig fingers into wounds... for reasons of pious respect...

But do you think that the future of cycling might not benefit from examination of such distasteful legacy?...

Can cycling ever get well without these tragedies being seen for what they are?

It could well be argued that the plights of the Dajkas' and Pantanis' et al, are the only tangible reasons that might show the next generation that doping and lying are not a good idea.

Doping is clearly working well for many in the pro peleton... Basso is still publicised as if he is someone to be admired in CyclingNews profiles... if a 14y/o kid got into cycling today he might think Basso is good role model...
Wouldn't that be great!

Perhaps Basso might turn to alcohol to deal with depression if he had a conscience ...

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
let it fester or clean it up?

Greg Johnson said:

Cycling media purports that it is insensitive to dig fingers into wounds... for reasons of pious respect... more likely it's bad for business. Compare the number of adverts on the CN site to the CyclePure site- hell, they are advertising for advertisers

Anyone who cares about the 'cleanliness' of cycling must think that the future of cycling can only benefit from examination of such legacy...

Can cycling ever get well without these tragedies being seen for what they are?

It could well be argued that the plights of the Dajkas' and Pantanis' et al, are the only tangible reasons that might show the next generation that doping and lying are not a good idea.

Doping is clearly working well for many in the pro peleton...(most of the winners-see last years tour)
Basso is still publicised as if he is someone to be admired in CyclingNews profiles, news and whatnot...

if a 14y/o kid got into cycling today he might think Basso is good role model... Wouldn't that be great!

though unless he shared Basso's moral 'fortitude' he might end up turning to drugs to deal with depression

Do more Cycling News.

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
paddy1 said:
Cycling media purports that it is insensitive to dig fingers into wounds... for reasons of pious respect... more likely it's bad for business.

Paddy, I think your comments show that regardless of what we say or do there will always be someone willing to shape it how they like for a desired outcome.

I speak - and it is me speaking, as a human, not in a journalistic capacity nor as a representative of Cyclingnews - as someone who has been touched by depression. I know exactly what Jobie's family and close friends are going through at the moment.

With this experience and the fact it's within 24 hours of his death, I would rather simply leave my thoughts with those close to Jobie as they come to terms with this tragic news. Despite the fact that I agree with much of what has been said by both you and Bikepure on the anti-doping front, I don’t agree that it’s the most topical point at this very moment in time.

The point you’ve made about the 14 year old kid is absolutely right, Riccardo Ricco is proof of this as someone who followed his idol’s footsteps.

There are certainly larger issues at play, only a fool would deny that, but they’re not going to be eradicated overnight. That can only happen through evolution and constant pressure on the sport by fans like you demanding change – which is a very positive thing. But I therefore think it’s acceptable to take a moment away from that to offer our thoughts to those within the cycling community that are impacted by this tragic event.

I don’t care if you agree with my stance, and you’re welcome to label my approach whatever you want because it’s simply not going to sway my personal thoughts an inch. I’ve seen the impact tragic events like this can have on those close to the person involved and while we certainly do need to examine these issues to protect the next generation of young athletes, I also don’t want to take a phone call telling me someone close to Jobie hasn’t been able to cope with the grief of the situation. It’s a call I’ve had to take once before and as a result I don’t believe taking a moment to focus on those whose immediate reality is impacted by this event is the crime it’s been made out to be.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
How very sad that another young man has seen his life tragically cut short. Whatever the final outcome of the circumstances of his death, and latest is that police are treating it as not suspicious, by his own admission Jobie had been dealing with many issues in the past.

How much sadder then, that people within this forum choose to hijack it to pursue their own agenda and continue the 'did he, didn't he dope' bandwagon. This is not the thread for that discussion, go elsewhere, there are plenty to choose from.

Please show some respect for Jobie and his family, and pray that all of your friends and family are well supported whenever they have to deal with life's issues.

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
davidg said:
How very sad that another young man has seen his life tragically cut short. Whatever the final outcome of the circumstances of his death, and latest is that police are treating it as not suspicious, by his own admission Jobie had been dealing with many issues in the past.

How much sadder then, that people within this forum choose to hijack it to pursue their own agenda and continue the 'did he, didn't he dope' bandwagon. This is not the thread for that discussion, go elsewhere, there are plenty to choose from.

Please show some respect for Jobie and his family, and pray that all of your friends and family are well supported whenever they have to deal with life's issues.

Excellent post.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
davidg said:

Hijacked forum? pah
You read but don't comprehend...

I don't think his family care if he did or didn't... It must seem a little trivial now... aside from the fact that it marked the path that led here.

I was commenting on the personal tragedy and it's causes- Not the victim, but the system and circumstances....

Respect to a great rider.
Condolences to friends and family.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Extremely sad news, saw him ride so many times, typical elite sprinter- was a bit crazy on track ( have to be to be a World/Commonwealth champion) and due to bad luck? and bad decisions he struggled off the bike...

R.I.P

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
I think it is wrong to speculate. It is sad that he died whether it was overdose by accident or suicide. Drugs and alcohol abuse can lead to suicidal feelings, as well as arrests and jail time, and life-long addictions.
Taking drugs to 'enhance sport' is still taking drugs. There is not much difference in the eyes of most governments whether you abuse or sell heroin and crack, or epo and steroids. I think the media should insure that it does not treat drugs as different categories: dangerous, 'recreational', and 'performance-enhancing' drugs.
Isn't this why punishment was given to Boonen (cocaine) and Ullrich (ecstasy)?
Apparently, USA swimming and snowboarding feels differently.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
who the *uck is speculating?... can you even comprehend written messages?

this forum sux *rse.

You *uckers don't have the guts to address *hit.

You think Dajkes family give a *uck what people say here? They probably think cycling and it's commercial glory focus killed their kid... maybe they'd like his death to mean something more than ... that he couldn't cope.

Shut me down with your moralising hypersensitivity as if this is anything more than a forum for the squawks of bike nerds...
if you really don't want people to suffer and die from the cancer thats thriving on cycling - and perhaps save the life of a future young impressionable sprinter... then ADDRESS THE ISSUE....

truth- what is truth? great good friday quote eh?
the truth is you don't know and don't have the strength to examine

G J- "you know what the family and friends are going through!"
is that an exclusive insight?
of someone who has suffered depression??

join a priesthood mr

so long **** suckers

Apr 17, 2009
Visit site
Its time that cycling Australia give more support to ALL who are interested in cycling! It's sad to see that such a young life finished when he could of had a great future ahead of him. Coming from a family of cyclists I have seen how a potenially great teenage cyclist has gone from loving the sport to giving it away for not having the support and also seen another great cyclist try his luck in the USA cause here he cannot get support. I hope that the death of Jobie sends a clear message to the heirachy in cycling that things have to change and that if someone is in need of help THEY ARE THERE TO SUPPORT! Shame on you Cycling Australia!

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Greg Johnson said:
Paddy, I think your comments show that regardless of what we say or do there will always be someone willing to shape it how they like for a desired outcome.

I speak - and it is me speaking, as a human, not in a journalistic capacity nor as a representative of Cyclingnews - as someone who has been touched by depression. I know exactly what Jobie's family and close friends are going through at the moment.

With this experience and the fact it's within 24 hours of his death, I would rather simply leave my thoughts with those close to Jobie as they come to terms with this tragic news. Despite the fact that I agree with much of what has been said by both you and Bikepure on the anti-doping front, I don’t agree that it’s the most topical point at this very moment in time.

The point you’ve made about the 14 year old kid is absolutely right, Riccardo Ricco is proof of this as someone who followed his idol’s footsteps.

There are certainly larger issues at play, only a fool would deny that, but they’re not going to be eradicated overnight. That can only happen through evolution and constant pressure on the sport by fans like you demanding change – which is a very positive thing. But I therefore think it’s acceptable to take a moment away from that to offer our thoughts to those within the cycling community that are impacted by this tragic event.

I don’t care if you agree with my stance, and you’re welcome to label my approach whatever you want because it’s simply not going to sway my personal thoughts an inch. I’ve seen the impact tragic events like this can have on those close to the person involved and while we certainly do need to examine these issues to protect the next generation of young athletes, I also don’t want to take a phone call telling me someone close to Jobie hasn’t been able to cope with the grief of the situation. It’s a call I’ve had to take once before and as a result I don’t believe taking a moment to focus on those whose immediate reality is impacted by this event is the crime it’s been made out to be.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Well Said...My condolences to his family and friends

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Can it be talked about yet?

No... can not be discussed.... his family would still be suffering the pain of his loss.

The discussion of doping and cheating will never leave the sporting arena:That doping and cheating destroys people is secondary ??

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ferdinand Artichoke said:
No... can not be discussed.... his family would still be suffering the pain of his loss.

The discussion of doping and cheating will never leave the sporting arena:That doping and cheating destroys people is secondary ??

you revived a thread that had been dormant for over 6months to add that? :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS