• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Johan Bruyneel Discussion thread.

So the past week Johan has said some pretty interesting and disturbing things about the Schlecks and makes one wonder if he has any real team manager leadership skills and talent left.

One of the latest statements was his comment that only Cancellara has a guaranteed spot on the TDF team at this time?!?! Huh? Really?

So let me get this right Mr. Brunyeel (or should I say, Mr. Done Nothing without Lance), right now, your plan and idea is to announce to the world the the only person who is guaranteed a spot on the TDF team is a person who had a serious injury not long ago and hasn't been seen/heard from in nearly 2 months? Surely Cancellera's form will not be anything above average. Is he going to be your climbing savior? Who exactly, besides Horner or possibly one other rider, could climb with the best guys in the World right now on your team besides the Schlecks after 2 weeks of racing?

So the 2010 TDF winner (due to Alberto doping), and the 2011 2nd/3rd place podium finishers, Andy and Frank, are not ensured spot on the team and might be sitting on the sideline?

Johan sounds like a brilliant motivator and team manager. I must say this is pure genius. Let's insult and verbally bash two of the best TDF riders over the past several years on our team publicly in the media, to "motivate" them.

Discuss.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Johan approves of this thread!

f296om.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I am interested in what suggestions you have if you were in Bruyneel's position. They have hardly finished a race all season.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
zigmeister said:
So the past week Johan has said some pretty interesting and disturbing things about the Schlecks and makes one wonder if he has any real team manager leadership skills and talent left.

One of the latest statements was his comment that only Cancellara has a guaranteed spot on the TDF team at this time?!?! Huh? Really?

So let me get this right Mr. Brunyeel (or should I say, Mr. Done Nothing without Lance), right now, your plan and idea is to announce to the world the the only person who is guaranteed a spot on the TDF team is a person who had a serious injury not long ago and hasn't been seen/heard from in nearly 2 months? Surely Cancellera's form will not be anything above average. Is he going to be your climbing savior? Who exactly, besides Horner or possibly one other rider, could climb with the best guys in the World right now on your team besides the Schlecks after 2 weeks of racing?

So the 2010 TDF winner (due to Alberto doping), and the 2011 2nd/3rd place podium finishers, Andy and Frank, are not ensured spot on the team and might be sitting on the sideline?

Johan sounds like a brilliant motivator and team manager. I must say this is pure genius. Let's insult and verbally bash two of the best TDF riders over the past several years on our team publicly in the media, to "motivate" them.

Discuss.

I sense that your belly is full of fire.

Ryo Hazuki said:
what the hell is stupid about saying cancellara is certain of a tour spot? even with one leg I would select him

Why Schlecks dont have a spot for tour???????????? Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, the only decent rider so far in this season in RSNT is Cancellara and he will race anywhere he wants for sure

pugdog said:
Is that your advice to Bruyneel then?

My advice is not to do it in public. My advice is not to change the preparation simply for the sake of changing. My advice is to start asking questions of himself as to why practically the whole team and not just those lazy undisciplined Schlecks are doing worse than last year.

I hope hog is doing something more than barking in the media. Wait, I mean motivating.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
pugdog said:
I am interested in what suggestions you have if you were in Bruyneel's position. They have hardly finished a race all season.

My advise is to stop acting like anyone believes in the myth of your "genius" anymore and STFU. He sucked Mig's wheel into infamy in the Tour, and he sucked the wheel of Armstrong and Contador to his "genius" Tour wins.

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
zigmeister said:

Discuss.

Contador says hi..

More seriously, as much as I hate Brunyeel, he did what he thought was the best for his team and he asked for result, something both Shlecks didn't deliver this year.

ChewbaccaD said:
My advise is to stop acting like anyone believes in the myth of your "genius" anymore and STFU. He sucked Mig's wheel into infamy in the Tour, and he sucked the wheel of Armstrong and Contador to his "genius" Tour wins.
I can't believe some people still believe Bruyneel was in the wrong in that Liege stage. A bit biased, aren't you.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
What is he meant to do in the situation? Mig is fighting for time, if he wants the stage win, it's up to him to drop Bruyneel.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, none of what you say changes the fact that he sucked Mig's wheel and sprinted past to take the win. That isn't bias, that is what happened. As for his DS "genius," I think we all know the real reason for that.

ChewbaccaD said:
Sorry, none of what you say changes the fact that he sucked Mig's wheel and sprinted past to take the win. That isn't bias, that is what happened. As for his DS "genius," I think we all know the real reason for that.
The bias is in implying he did anything wrong by not working with Mig to put time on his team leaders Zülle and Jalabert, or by not allowing Mig to win the stage (and weren't there time bonuses in that stage?).

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
The bias is in implying he did anything wrong by not working with Mig to put time on his team leaders Zülle and Jalabert, or by not allowing Mig to win the stage (and weren't there time bonuses in that stage?).

TFF is not saying that it was wrong of him to have "wheelsucked" Indurain just as much as he's not saying that it was wrong for him to have had Lance and Contador on his Tour team. He's just saying that he doesn't really deserve the infamy.

Anyway, I find it somewhat odd that he is complaining about the Schlecks not getting any wins yet, because it's not like Lance would have won anything at this point in the year either (except maybe the Tour de Georgia).

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
zigmeister said:

Discuss.

Don't forget his 2006 failure at le Tour with Hincapie as GC leader :D

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:

The King of Belgium was on the Podium that day. Maybe both of them even. To shake hands withthe winner. Can't blame Johan. Once in a lifetime to a young rider. Of course he has hobknobed with both kings since, but how would he know that then?

And you do NOT suck Big Mig's wheel when he is at full bore going for time. You hang on for dear life using extreme strength. Who else held his wheel that day? And having the power to sprint past Big Mig? Adrenaline rush like picking up a car to rescue someone. And tactical/strategic smarts even at that age. No radios IIRC

TRENDING THREADS