• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard thread: Mountain Sprinter

Page 230 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think you are right. It's his ridingstyle. But I still don't think it runs smoothly at all. That's not possible after what happened. But he still has more than a week to get the right pedal stroke. He will be very close (not quite) to his top form in ten days.

Top form? Not sure if I missed anything as news changes every day but from everything I have read about the seriousness of Vingegaard's injuries I very much doubt ten days is enough.

Forget his riding style in a video, he suffered a punctured lung remember? Pretty sure he can train at altitude or whatever. But be at close to his incredible 2023 TdF level - eg Combloux TT? I think we need to be realistic. I won't be the only one stunned if we see anything like that.

Top form? Not sure if I missed anything as news changes every day but from everything I have read about the seriousness of Vingegaard's injuries I very much doubt ten days is enough.

Forget his riding style in a video, he suffered a punctured lung remember? Pretty sure he can train at altitude or whatever. But be at close to his incredible 2023 TdF level - eg Combloux TT? I think we need to be realistic. I won't be the only one stunned if we see anything like that.
Every rider recovers in a different way, but i am very optimistic after seeing the perfomance of Steff Cras at Tour of Slovenia.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Vingo (after stage 4): On paper I lost a lot time today but the race won't be decided by minutes.
YouKnowWho (during stage 21): Show the world who's the strongest!

You do realize that, if he's declared a non-starter now that Pogacar as last year's #2 at the Tour that UAE would move up to the #1 team. Along with that all of the positioning perks in the caravan and busses would change.
If I'm wrong; someone correct me.
There's no "surprise" other than if Jonas does roll in it will be to train. UAE is pretty much a lock on team depth.

I think the positioning rules for team vehicles based on prior winning or being the #1 team/rider, only really apply on the 1st stage, as after that its then all about GC of the current race.

I think the positioning rules for team vehicles based on prior winning or being the #1 team/rider, only really apply on the 1st stage, as after that its then all about GC of the current race.
Of course, I should have mentioned that that is in flux for the race caravan. It seems as though the assignments on team buses and related activities stayed constant. The #1 team generally had the closest, most convenient positioning. Not that that's a huge thing since UAE is #2.
The publicity element for JV is puzzling, though. There isn't any real strategic reason to suggest Jonas has a level of recovery to either start, race seriously or dominate that couldn't be confirmed in the very first stage. It's got to be more about publicity ala' Netflix or other marketing benefits. You can't blame them since the basis for those major sponsor exposures were set up long ago. Kind hard to tell those that have already sponsor-funded "Sorry. Half our support riders are injured and two stars may/may not finish....or start." They need hope to get that money.

Reactions: noob
The Dutch are trying to stir more controversy.

Jonas Vingegaard is a worthy servant for Matteo Jorgenson
"Vingegaard as a servant?
“Yes”, is Visma’s answer | Lease a Bike. Kuss has also shown a Grand Tour with his overall victory in the Vuelta a Espana last year to win a Grand Tour. The question now is whether Vingegaard can support both Americans in his condition as a helper."

“Yes”, is Visma’s answer | Lease a Bike. Kuss has also shown a Grand Tour with his overall victory in the Vuelta a Espana last year to win a Grand Tour. The question now is whether Vingegaard can support both Americans in his condition as a helper."

German Google Translate tells me that Visma are aiming for this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endsieg

What is also very interesting is that Zeeman is backpaddeling when it comes to Vingegaards possible form. Which is not so surprising given his injuries and what came out as news (the little there was) over the last month.
The argument made in the article is that Vingegaard could only still be of use in the Tour this season, because he will miss the Vuelta for personal reasons, so they could take him as a domestique (which the authors claim would be unproblematic because of his personality).

Makes me wonder if he'll show up at all.

What is also very interesting is that Zeeman is backpaddeling when it comes to Vingegaards possible form. Which is not so surprising given his injuries and what came out as news (the little there was) over the last month.
The argument made in the article is that Vingegaard could only still be of use in the Tour this season, because he will miss the Vuelta for personal reasons, so they could take him as a domestique (which the authors claim would be unproblematic because of his personality).

He will be a domestique until the third week, when they will finally get the God of Watts protocol going.

• Wow
Reactions: SHAD0W93

He could still target Worlds and Lombardia. I suspect Pogi will beat him in them as he has the better sprint and is better in one-day races but he would probably be third favourite after Pogi and Roglic for those races. I'd be interested to see him seriously target them

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I wonder whether he had very fast progress initially but since then he's not quite 'there' in terms of numbers, i.e. at least not where they want to be with ten days to go. It would explain some of the Mallorca hype & buzz when he went to Tignes, then now some of the backpaddling.

I mean trying to 'lower expectations' or go unnoticed & underhyped is completely impossible anyway because we're talking about Jonas Vingegaard. What do you think UAE is going to do on the first day? They're going to go hard as possible to test Vingegaard. Then they'll do the same on stage 4 as well.

There will be no hiding. Either he's at the right level & he'll show it immediately (& he'll be seen as the number one contender by everyone), or he's not & he'll get found out. But even then UAE will continue to 'punish' him whenever they can.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say there's only one rider Pog 'fears' in the Tour & that's Jonas Vingegaard.

Is that Remco after a few days off the bike (allegedly)?
Screenshot-20240619-130448-Chrome.jpg

At least now Remco weighs less because he doesn't have this hair, but logic is still complaining.

Vingegaard had a similar hair.