• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It will be interesting to see who they'll bring. Roglic, Vingegaard, van Aert and Kuss seem certainties. Likely Dennis instead of Martin. Some Dutch riders needed as well. I'm thinking Teunissen and Gesink. Only leaves 1 spot for several candidates.
Vinegaard deserves a protected role at a GT, probably the Giro or maybe Vuelta unless Roglic has a problem and can't do the Tour. I don't think à co-leader strategy is a great idea either. So do Jumbo leave him off the Tour team in favor of sole leadership at the Giro? I might do that. One big wildcard is Dumoulin. I doubt he will ever be a GC leader again but in top form he is a formidable super dom and TT threat...but if he's motivated to ride the Tour in a support role I'd think hard about what's best for Vingegaard. He seems to be a rare talent and it would be a shame to mismanage him or leave him open to temptation at Ineos, for example...

Reactions: Sandisfan
Vinegaard deserves a protected role at a GT, probably the Giro or maybe Vuelta unless Roglic has a problem and can't do the Tour. I don't think à co-leader strategy is a great idea either. So do Jumbo leave him off the Tour team in favor of sole leadership at the Giro? I might do that. One big wildcard is Dumoulin. I doubt he will ever be a GC leader again but in top form he is a formidable super dom and TT threat...but if he's motivated to ride the Tour in a support role I'd think hard about what's best for Vingegaard. He seems to be a rare talent and it would be a shame to mismanage him or leave him open to temptation at Ineos, for example...
I think the co-leader strategy is likely the only way they're going to have a shot at beating the beast.

Roglic predicted Vingegaard as a potential TdF winner back in June. Zeeman... told him to calm down.

Roglic kom med vild Vingegaard-forudsigelse – chefen bad ham slappe af - TV 2

Google translated version below.

Roglic came up with wild Vingegaard prediction - the boss asked him to relax

Primoz Roglic was quick to tell Vingegaard that one day he could win the Tour de France. But it was not popular with the Jumbo-Visma management.

Jonas Vingegaard can win the Tour de France.

Those words have been said many times after the Dane's incredible performance in the world's biggest cycling race.

Not so many said so before, but Primoz Roglic did. This is what Merjiin Zeeman, sports director at Jumbo-Visma, tells TV 2 SPORT.

The team was at altitude training camp in the Sierra Nevada in early June. It was here that Primoz Roglic looked at Vingegaard and said the big words:

- You can win the Tour.

But then Merijn Zeeman interrupted.

- No, no, no, Primoz, just relax. Do not put pressure on him, Merjin Zeeman said.

Jumbo-Visma has tried to avoid the pressure on Vingegaard, says the sports director, who has almost no words for the Dane's second place.

There's more stuff in the article, but this is the bit that's relevant to Roglic's prediction abilities.

I can't see Vingegaard being a sole GT leader before the 2022 Vuelta, if Roglic isn't riding it, unless Roglic isn't avilable for the Tour. Kruijswijk should get Giro leadership, if they still believe he can reach a high level and he avoids accidents beforehand. He can share the duties with Foss.

Gesink might be too old next year, too, but they obviously also need to have some experience in the Tour team, otherwise Oomen could be his replacement. It will of course also depend on the route and on possible new signings.

If he ever were to win a GT I would want it be the Giro. The 2016 one would be the most desirable, of course, but that ship has probably sailed. He got his breaktrough as a pro in the Giro, so it would come full circle if gets his last hurrah there as well.

I too find it very unlikely that Kruijswijk will - in 2022, or later - win the 2016 Giro.
Vingegaard isn't gonna win the 2016 Giro either.
Neither is Harper!

But he doesn't have a snowballs chance.

I want him to win a Giro stage at this point.

I don't think he wille ever come close to winning the Giro again. A stage win could be hard enough, considering he's never been good at stage hunting. A random Russian will probably beat him at the line again.

I too find it very unlikely that Kruijswijk will - in 2022, or later - win the 2016 Giro.
Vingegaard isn't gonna win the 2016 Giro either.
Neither is Harper!

Kruijswijk at least still has a chance to be awarded the win. Not that I hope he will be.

Solid end of season from Vingegaard even if the results don't really reflect it. Pretty much as good as can be reasonably expected from a top climber without much specific one day ability in my opinion. Made the final selection despite being on the offensive earlier.

Descending seems to be a weakness though

Reactions: noob
Solid end of season from Vingegaard even if the results don't really reflect it. Pretty much as good as can be reasonably expected from a top climber without much specific one day ability in my opinion. Made the final selection despite being on the offensive earlier.

Descending seems to be a weakness though
Yeah, but I think Ventoux was a better example of that. When you're knackered, you tend to descend worse as well.

It would have been so fun having him up against Almeida next giro, but I know that sadly won't be now that the tour is in Denmark. I think they could both podium, possibly with Yates (depending on which GT Carapaz is targeting next year)

FI_UP7uVIAIW6Q4

I do feel that up to and including season 2021 Roglič was a bit better overall. Said that Vingegaard did finish second on the Tour. Not having the best team support. Imagine van Aert waiting for him on that stage. Is currently one of a few cyclists that can cope with or put Pogačar in difficulty. On top of that he can TT.

Hence i feel he is legit. Especially if he will be able to keep the level from the past or to on top of that improve each season.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
I do feel that up to and including season 2021 Roglič was a bit better overall. Said that Vingegaard did finish second on the Tour. Not having the best team support. Imagine van Aert waiting for him on that stage. Is currently one of a few cyclists that can cope with or put Pogačar in difficulty. On top of that he can TT.

Hence i feel he is legit. Especially if he will be able to keep the level from the past or to on top of that improve each season.
Also if he had been fully committed in riding for GC when pog went ballistic, I think he loses about 1 minutes max instead of what he lost.

Pogs dominance last year over over field was impressive, but realistically I would say he was only about 90s better than Vinegaard in the right circumstances.

TRENDING THREADS