• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I didn't like the new title either, so now we're almost back to the classic one.

I actually hope he won't win the Tour, so we'll be spared from yet another version of this.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwbqIMGxXX8&ab_channel=Capser272
Come on, Jonas fits so well in that song!

Btw, I can't believe it's been so long. The years between Riis-Sastre are fewer than between Sastre-(potentially)Jonas. As someone who was barely 3 when Riis won, this feels sorta weird.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
I didn't like the new title either, so now we're almost back to the classic one.

I actually hope he won't win the Tour, so we'll be spared from yet another version of this.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwbqIMGxXX8&ab_channel=Capser272

I remember two songs related to Riis Tour exploits, the one from 1996 was not very good, but I remember one from the year he finished 3rd but weirdly I can't find a trace of it anywhere online. But I do remember part of the lyrics:
"Han skal nok få ram på Zulle, Indurain han får at føle, og den stakkels Jalabert, ham går det stadig værre"

Are any one of you Danes able to remember it?

Jul 12, 2022
Visit site
I remember two songs related to Riis Tour exploits, the one from 1996 was not very good, but I remember one from the year he finished 3rd but weirdly I can't find a trace of it anywhere online. But I do remember part of the lyrics:
"Han skal nok få ram på Zulle, Indurain han får at føle, og den stakkels Jalabert, ham går det stadig værre"

Are any one of you Danes able to remember it?
Apropos Riis sange:

View: https://youtu.be/-O0nrv2dW3A

Point taken with those replies, I have personally never understood the extreme animosity towards Riis given the environment he raced in at the time.

Armstrong was the only one that really grated me considering the hypocrisy with Livestrong etc, and especially how he publicly bullied anyone who tried to question him. But even him I can't stay mad at, I even liked one of his tweets the other day. Life is too short to hate people in my opinion.

Back on topic, I'm surprised the Jumbo train is already getting so much hate for being boring in the stage thread, they had one day riding conservatively/boring after going all out yesterday. It's way too early to say they are anything like Team Sky in their heyday, so far they have been much more like Team CSC/Saxobank at their peak.

I think one cannot hate Jumbo for what they have been through. After all, in the race that counts most, the Tour GC, they always failed. It‘s called Rabofail. They have always been the likeable losers.

Imagine if they really win this TdF GC. The impossible would come true, then.

USPS, Sky and UAE are always considered the winners. JV are considered the losers.

And don‘t forget, JV has much less money than UAE or Ineos.

Point taken with those replies, I have personally never understood the extreme animosity towards Riis given the environment he raced in at the time.

Armstrong was the only one that really grated me considering the hypocrisy with Livestrong etc, and especially how he publicly bullied anyone who tried to question him. But even him I can't stay mad at, I even liked one of his tweets the other day. Life is too short to hate people in my opinion.
The extreme animosity stems from what arrived at the Tour in 1996. This was a new animal to the one who was cannon fodder to Indurain and Rominger in 1993. Why can't be discussed here. Then of course he went on to have a very successful career despite all we now know.

Lance was and is so over the top. No part of me hates Lance, and some part of me even likes him, but I do find it annoying how arrogant and unrepentant he is on The Move. Every year he seems a little more emboldened to the point he is back to peak Lance with zero absolutely sense of shame. Anything humble pie he ate was for a purpose, not reflective of regret ir newfound empathy. Calling Contador “a little creep,” Landis a “piece of s***,” being dismissive of Froome today, always running his mouth about his 7 Tours and how he “never got a bottle for a teammate” or worked for anyone else. Just annoying to see he found a profitable new market for his personality. Having said that, I still listen to The Move, so I guess I’m part of it.

Interesting that, per Cycling Graphs, that final climb in the Dauphine with Roglic was still far and away Vingegaard’s best performance in terms of w/kg. And it looked very easy. Has anyone ever gone so unexpectedly from no one to world beater so quickly? Aside, I guess, from Chris Froome?
I take it you mean that he was no one in the 2020 Vuelta and world beater in the 2021 Itzulia (or UAE Tour)? While he clearly stepped up quite a bit, I don't generally find it remarkable that a rider has a breakthrough season at 24 the year after their first GT.

Last edited:
Reactions: noob
Interesting that, per Cycling Graphs, that final climb in the Dauphine with Roglic was still far and away Vingegaard’s best performance in terms of w/kg. And it looked very easy. Has anyone ever gone so unexpectedly from no one to world beater so quickly? Aside, I guess, from Chris Froome?
In Itzulia 2019 he was 12th on the last stage, the hardest day in the hardest one week race in the calendar. That was his second race as a professional. Then he was in Tour de Romandie as support for Roglic, then broke a collarbone and started again in Tour de Pologne, where he won the hardest stage, then second overall in Tour of Denmark and 8th overall in Tour of Germany.

It was a very very promising first pro season.

The extreme animosity stems from what arrived at the Tour in 1996. This was a new animal to the one who was cannon fodder to Indurain and Rominger in 1993. Why can't be discussed here. Then of course he went on to have a very successful career despite all we now know.

He was 5th in 1993 and 3rd in 1995, so I don't really get your point. 1996 was the year Indurain collapsed and there was no obvious heir until the rise of Ullrich and Armstrong soon after.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS