• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
seagull3.jpg

0_Curious-Seagull.jpg

His plan for the immediate future:
Tuesday: Celebration in the Netherlands.
Wednesday: Celebration in Copenhagen.
Thursday: Celebration in Glyngøre.
Friday: The coach!

He's on the startlist for San Sebastian accordion to PCS, but I'd be surprised if he actually starts.

He's doing the coach on Friday?

And he just confirmed, that he won't ride San Sebastian.

I don't buy it. I don't think they were that naive and that unprepared. Anyone who took into consideration all the factors of last years race, could see that they were much closer in level than what the time differences indicated. Vingegaard had crashed hard on the stage where Pog did his raid, but basically matched him 1 to 1 after that, and dropped him on Ventoux. I think they knew Vingegaard could be trouble this year, and that's why Pog went for every single second for the first 10 days.

I'm so happy I'm not the only one seeing this. I became more and more frustrated with commentators going after pogacar for doing everything where ever he could. He has two stages where they know he is at a disadvantage. Conserving energi where he is strong is not winning him the tour. Was it at times a little too much, yes, but he was frustrated, nothing was working.

I don't buy it. I don't think they were that naive and that unprepared. Anyone who took into consideration all the factors of last years race, could see that they were much closer in level than what the time differences indicated. Vingegaard had crashed hard on the stage where Pog did his raid, but basically matched him 1 to 1 after that, and dropped him on Ventoux. I think they knew Vingegaard could be trouble this year, and that's why Pog went for every single second for the first 10 days.

It can't have been many who considered that because less than 5% in the poll predicted him to win the race, and even during the race he didn't get any respect from most people until stage 11

The Cyclingnews stages of Jonas Vingegaard:
  1. He has no chance
  2. He missed his chance by not gaining time in the first week and on the cobbles
  3. Pogacar has covid
  4. He will regret not attacking on stage 12 because Pogacar will crush him in the Pyrenees
Etc, etc

It can't have been many who considered that because less than 5% in the poll predicted him to win the race, and even during the race he didn't get any respect from most people until stage 11

The Cyclingnews stages of Jonas Vingegaard:
  1. He has no chance
  2. He missed his chance by not gaining time in the first week and on the cobbles
  3. Pogacar has covid
  4. He will regret not attacking on stage 12 because Pogacar will crush him in the Pyrenees
Etc, etc
Obviously Pogacar was the pre-race favourite, but if UAE didn't see Vingegaard as any kind of threat, then that is an idiotic level of arrogance and unprofessionalism. Sure, a lot of "ordinary" people might have thought Vingegaard had no chance, but that's because they only look at the time differences from last year, and not what actually happened. Both Patrick from Lanterne Rouge and Emil Axelgaard from feltet.dk talked about Vingegaards very real chances before the race. LR predicted that Vingegaard would drop Pogacar on consecutive days in the alps, and Emil said he considered Vingegaard the overall favourite after stage 7. I value their opinions a lot more than random posters on here, who had never heard of Vingegaard before last years Tour, and apparently still didn't understand what he's capable of before this year. Obviously it's fair enough that the casual cycling fan doesn't have all the insight, but if UAE completely forgot what happened last year, that's totally unforgivable.

It's also worth noting his pre-race odds were about 4, which translates into around a 20% chance of winning, so that should have given them a clue, even if their memory had let them down. But like I said, I don't buy it. They must have known there was a real danger. At least there's no excuse not to.

Last edited:
I think Vingo comes across as cocky, arrogant and disrespectful. We know Roglic was coming back from a knee injury so I hope he can be at a much higher level for July to pressure Pogacar. But in the TdF I’ll be rooting for anyone but Jonas.

I think the Vingegaard hype is completely out of control. The Danish lobby in particular is working overtime pushing the narrative & they're going to get very noisy during the TdF if it comes down to 3 man battles on the climbs between Pog, Rog & Vinge.

Remember these gems

I said it from the get go Jonas had the hunger and the ability and given Pogacar attacking every day and the Pog media love he did a marvelous job to stay cool focused and win his first Tour

I say his first as I expect there will be many more...his climbing is second to none

Obviously Pogacar was the pre-race favourite, but if UAE didn't see Vingegaard as any kind of threat, then that is an idiotic level of arrogance and unprofessionalism. Sure, a lot of "ordinary" people might have thought Vingegaard had no chance, but that's because they only look at the time differences from last year, and not what actually happened. Both Patrick from Lanterne Rouge and Emil Axelgaard from feltet.dk talked about Vingegaards very real chances before the race. LR predicted that Vingegaard would drop Pogacar on consecutive days in the alps, and said he considered Vingegaard the overall favourite after stage 7. I value their opinions a lot more than random posters on here, who had never heard of Vingegaard before last years Tour, and apparently still didn't understand what he's capable of before this year. Obviously it's fair enough that the casual cycling fan doesn't have all the insight, but if UAE completely forgot what happened last year, that's totally unforgivable.

It's also worth noting his pre-race odds were about 4, which translates into around a 20% chance of winning, so that should have given them a clue, even if their memory had let them down. But like I said, I don't buy it. They must have know there was a real danger. At least there's no excuse not to.

I think this is a good point that I had not really considered. I had lazily been making the assumption that UAE had underestimated him. Yet they were in the best possible position to observe what was obvious to many viewing form afar, i.e. that Vingegaard was going to be very very difficult for Pogacar to beat on this parcours.

Obviously Pogacar was the pre-race favourite, but if UAE didn't see Vingegaard as any kind of threat, then that is an idiotic level of arrogance and unprofessionalism. Sure, a lot of "ordinary" people might have thought Vingegaard had no chance, but that's because they only look at the time differences from last year, and not what actually happened. Both Patrick from Lanterne Rouge and Emil Axelgaard from feltet.dk talked about Vingegaards very real chances before the race. LR predicted that Vingegaard would drop Pogacar on consecutive days in the alps, and Emil said he considered Vingegaard the overall favourite after stage 7. I value their opinions a lot more than random posters on here, who had never heard of Vingegaard before last years Tour, and apparently still didn't understand what he's capable of before this year. Obviously it's fair enough that the casual cycling fan doesn't have all the insight, but if UAE completely forgot what happened last year, that's totally unforgivable.

It's also worth noting his pre-race odds were about 4, which translates into around a 20% chance of winning, so that should have given them a clue, even if their memory had let them down. But like I said, I don't buy it. They must have known there was a real danger. At least there's no excuse not to.

Thank you for writing my post for me. And doing a better job at that.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Remember these gems

I said it from the get go Jonas had the hunger and the ability and given Pogacar attacking every day and the Pog media love he did a marvelous job to stay cool focused and win his first Tour

I say his first as I expect there will be many more...his climbing is second to none
Its hardly surprising given youre quoting a post from Rackham. Thats how all his posts are looking like

Reactions: gregrowlerson

TRENDING THREADS