• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I still believe they will add another climber to the tour de france team. Kuss and Kruijswijk are the only pure climbers in the team list for the tour

Vingegaard
Kuss
Kruijswijk
Van aert
van hooydonck
Van baarle
Bennot
Laporte

This is the team listed for the tour, if procyclingstats is right.
I think they are missing another good climber instead of van hooydonck. I think roglic could be on that spot.
Kelderman could be other option for domestique at the tour, and then roglic to the vuelta like he is listed.
Tour of Flanders + a few climbers, classic Jumbo

He is better at the beginning of this season compared to the beginning of last season. If his shape at the tour 2023 is better than at the tour 2022, it will be incredible.

I don't think the fact that Jonas is stronger this season so far gives us a great indication that he will be stronger in the Tour. Pogačar is also looking stronger than ever this spring. I think that its just that these GC leaders want to be in the sort of shape that allows them to score wins during several months and for Vingegård that makes perfect sense as he is no longer in the shadow of Roglič and its a way to answer his critics that wrongly accused him of being in shape just for the Tour.

He is better at the beginning of this season compared to the beginning of last season. If his shape at the tour 2023 is better than at the tour 2022, it will be incredible.
We already knew Vingegaard was better this year than early last season - but he still got smacked in PN. But as PN and RVV shows so is Pogačar and he won't make the same error as he did on the Granon.

Today's climb was only 1.2km. Short punchy climbs are Pogačar territory. This year's tour also doesn't have much high altitude >2,000 metre passes which blunts Vingegaard's hopes (Granon which cracked Pogi was 2,800 metres). Then, we also know Pogačar can hold a long peak. Vingegaard has yet to prove this.

The X factor in Vingegaard's favor is Roglic. But the anticipation for the Tour is certainly mouthwatering.

We already knew Vingegaard was better this year than early last season - but he still got smacked in PN. But as PN and RVV shows so is Pogačar and he won't make the same error as he did on the Granon.

Today's climb was only 1.2km. Short punchy climbs are Pogačar territory. This year's tour also doesn't have much high altitude >2,000 metre passes which blunts Vingegaard's hopes (Granon which cracked Pogi was 2,800 metres). Then, we also know Pogačar can hold a long peak. Vingegaard has yet to prove this.

The X factor in Vingegaard's favor is Roglic. But the anticipation for the Tour is certainly mouthwatering.

Granon is at 2400 m, the only passable paved road at 2800 m in Europe is Cime de la Bonette loop. Only a 3-week peak is needed for the Tour and Jonas is pretty good at preparing it. As for Roglic, yes he would be an x-factor but it's too early to say if he will race the Tour. Giro comes first.

So much altitude talk.

It's like Hautacam never happened.
The damage was done on Granon. I know you don't subscribe to the altitude theory, but Pog showed weakness at altitude in 2020 TdF (stage 17) then again on Granon. As I recall, Pog attacked constantly after his losses on stage 11 to try to claw back lost time. By Hautacam he was empty and he also had to contend with WvA's antics. These are matters he can learn from.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Granon is at 2400 m, the only passable paved road at 2800 m in Europe is Cime de la Bonette loop. Only a 3-week peak is needed for the Tour and Jonas is pretty good at preparing it. As for Roglic, yes he would be an x-factor but it's too early to say if he will race the Tour. Giro comes first.
2,400 m - yes. On Roglic, good point on the Giro. That means Pog would be best advised to ignore any attacks from Roglic in the TdF and just worry about Vingegaard. On stage 11 he blew up trying to respond to attacks by Roglic then Vingegaard pounced. Thanks for your balanced comments.

I don't think the fact that Jonas is stronger this season so far gives us a great indication that he will be stronger in the Tour. Pogačar is also looking stronger than ever this spring. I think that its just that these GC leaders want to be in the sort of shape that allows them to score wins during several months and for Vingegård that makes perfect sense as he is no longer in the shadow of Roglič and its a way to answer his critics that wrongly accused him of being in shape just for the Tour.
He should just focus on what he is good, and that is grand tours and try to win a lot of grand tours. He is not pogacar or roglic that can ride really well all season in all type of races. He needs to do what froome and armstrong did in the past. Just focus in grand tours.
He shouldn’t get concern about accuse him of just be in peak shape at the tour.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

He was smacked on PN like he was smacked last season at TA.

I think pogacar is in the same shape of last year's spring honestly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Doopie
He was smacked on PN like he was smacked last season at TA.

I think pogacar is in the same shape of last year's spring honestly.

At least in his main spring goal, Pogačar was in better shape this year otherwise he would not have dropped Van der Poel. Not that it matters for the Tour but it matters a lot to him and cycling in general. I would also argue that he was better this February when compared to the UAE Tour last year.

Reactions: Cookster15

TRENDING THREADS