• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He really caught my eye when Pogacar appeared to have trouble following him on the Ventoux.

Well he could hardly have caught your eye any later than that ;)

But who is Chris Harper?

We know he's not Jonas Vingegaard, but he might be (a) Diego Rosa.

I don’t think that is right. There can still be significant variation amongst the elite and you still get outliers. I’d like to know more about Jonas’s physiology. VO2 max, FTP etc.

Having a high VO2 max obviously doesn't guarantee that a rider becomes a star because there are other factors at play, but I reckon that not having the right numbers more often than not will guarantee that the rider never becomes one.

Unless you followed him closely or maybe are Dutch few expected what we saw in 2020. General consensus was he was the revelation on that Tour. So my view would reflect the majority of fans.

I'm not denying he was the (GC) revelation of the Tour, but even if you hadn't heard of him before 2021, many people on here certainly noticed him getting some pretty good results prior to the Tour, starting with the stage win in the UAE Tour, which not only lead to this thread getting created, but also to the title it eventually got (because Carlton Kirby was sure it was Harper who sprinted past Lutsenko in the final metres).
Obviously the 2nd place is the biggest result of his career so far, and I wasn't sure he was ever going to achieve something like that and not so soon either, but it definitely didn't come as much out of the blue as Froome's 2011 Vuelta, for instance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
So we agree then. My comment was a fair one. I spend long enough here to know.

It was written tongue in cheek, cause I wasn't doubting your cycling knowdledge at all, but It just came across as a bit of a weird comment, at least to someone who has followed him closely for almost a year now and who as a Dane was also aware of his existence before his first minor breakthrough in 2019 (which I definitely don't expect many non-Danes would have been).

Reactions: noob and Cookster15
It was written tongue in cheek, cause I wasn't doubting your cycling knowdledge at all, but It just came across as a bit of a weird comment, at least to someone who has followed him closely for almost a year now and who as a Dane was also aware of his existence before his first minor breakthrough in 2019 (which I definitely don't expect many non-Danes would have been).
Got it :). My belated apologies for assuming him to be Dutch rather than a Dane ;). He is an interesting rider though I look forward to following him!

Got it :). My belated apologies for assuming him to be Dutch rather than a Dane;). He is an interesting rider though I look forward to following him!

First people try to claim Juul Jensen for the Irish, now you try to claim Vingegaard for the Dutch! :eek:
At least Juul Jensen was actually born in Ireland, and lived there for the first 16 years of his life.

TRENDING THREADS