• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The first time i hear his name was at the begining of 2018 when he beat the KOM of Coll de Rates (was Tejay previous record holder) at the Coloquick camp, he did like 13 minutes at 6,7 w/kg or something like that, not bad at all for a no pro rider at that time, this "achievement" was recorded in a video by the director of Coloquick.
Then I saw that Feltet web (previously cyclingquotes) and in particular the dane Emil Axegaard was always writing about him, about his monstruous VO2 Max and other values, being that the reason of the contract with Jumbo Visma, they were searching for other young riders more known but the test of Jonas was just supossedly mindblowing, he just had a lot of health issues during his U23 days (like a leg fracture in 2017 and also a concusion in 2018 the day after he won the Uphill TT of Vall de Aosta).

In 2019 I expected a lot from him because all the directors of Jumbo Visma talked about his great potential, he did nothing until the last stage of the Basque Country and one of the Hammer Series where he was flying up the climbs, but it was that stage in Poland that he won after throwing many kms for Tolhoek when I really saw that potential that they said so much, it was quite an exhibition by a neopro, for example if Remco or another young talent with the name was doing this, all the fans would have noticed much more , he was also very strong for his small physique in the Tour or in the flat TT of Denmark and in the small climbs of the "hard stages", being the strongest cyclist of these stages, but he was a bit wrong with the tactics and toughness in the parcours was also lacking for him.

So for 2020 and 2021 I was watching him closely and waiting for his real breakthrough, for me he was the real talent of the Jumbo Visma stage racers and not kuss, Foss or even Wout (just talking about GC), also because Roglic , Zeeman, Kuss and Niermann were talking for years that in practice and testing he was only second to Roglic in Jumbo since his first year in 2019, they called him Danysh Dynamite or some shitty nickname :sweatsmile:
In fact, at the 2021 Tour, I was texting daily with a cycling commentator who had also taken a lot of notice of Jonas and from the beginning I said he could do top 5 or podium, but somehow I have to admit it was more a wishful prediction than a real prediction.

But I understand that for most cycling fans it was someone quite unknown, because if I hadn't come across the Coll de Rates video by chance and all the stories on that Danish website that I usually only read for race previews obviously not have followed him so closely.

Last edited:
The first time i hear his name was at the begining of 2018 when he beat the KOM of Coll de Rates (was Tejay previous record holder) at the Coloquick camp, he did like 13 minutes at 6,7 w/kg or something like that, not bad at all for a no pro rider at that time, this "achievement" was recorded in a video by the director of Coloquick.
Then I saw that Feltet web (previously cyclingquotes) and in particular the dane Emil Axegaard was always writing about him, about his monstruous VO2 Max and other values, being that the reason of the contract with Jumbo Visma, they were searching for other young riders more known but the test of Jonas was just supossedly mindblowing, he just had a lot of health issues during his U23 days (like a leg fracture in 2017 and also a concusion in 2018 the day after he won the Uphill TT of Vall de Aosta).

In 2019 I expected a lot from him because all the directors of Jumbo Visma talked about his great potential, he did nothing until the last stage of the Basque Country and one of the Hammer Series where he was flying up the climbs, but it was that stage in Poland that he won after throwing many kms for Tolhoek when I really saw that potential that they said so much, it was quite an exhibition by a neopro, for example if Remco or another young talent with the name was doing this, all the fans would have noticed much more , he was also very strong for his small physique in the Tour or in the flat TT of Denmark and in the small climbs of the "hard stages", being the strongest cyclist of these races, but he was a bit wrong with the tactics and toughness was also lacking for him.

So for 2020 and 2021 I was watching him closely and waiting for his real breakthrough, for me he was the real talent of the Jumbo Visma stage racers and not kuss, Foss or even Wout (just talking about GC), also because Roglic , Zeeman, Kuss and Niermann were talking for years that in practice and testing he was only second to Roglic in Jumbo since his first year in 2019, they called him Danysh Dynamite or some shitty nickname :sweatsmile:
In fact, at the 2021 Tour, I was texting daily with a cycling commentator who had also taken a lot of notice of Jonas and from the beginning I said I could do top 5 or podium, but somehow I have to admit it was more. a wishful prediction than a real prediction.

But I understand that for most fast cycling fans it was someone quite unknown, because if I hadn't come across the Coll de Rates video by chance and all the stories on that Danish website that I usually only read for race previews What does Axegaard obviously not have followed him so closely.

Cool to hear from one of those people who translate the Feltet.dk previews. One correction, though; Feltet was first (it became an adult last year with its 18th birthday), then they launched CyclingQuotes but that wasn't financially viable, so they had to close it after around three years. Emil had basically been running that site by himself and when it was closed, he was brought over to Feltet to do live updates and previews which meant there was only regular articles to do for the rest of the staff.

Last edited:
Weird to have a genuine potential TDF winner from Denmark. Michael Rasmussen was shortlived (and wasnt really viewed as one apart from a few weeks), so thats pretty good. Vingegaard is not a super peak GT-rider or a totally specialized GT rider either which his spring last year showed, so I have very high expectations for him in this spring. Also with how the leaders hierarchy is right now on Jumbo, he should be very motivated to show how good he is early and often.

Exciting!

Weird to have a genuine potential TDF winner from Denmark. Michael Rasmussen was shortlived (and wasnt really viewed as one apart from a few weeks), so thats pretty good. Vingegaard is not a super peak GT-rider or a totally specialized GT rider either which his spring last year showed, so I have very high expectations for him in this spring. Also with how the leaders hierarchy is right now on Jumbo, he should be very motivated to show how good he is early and often.

Exciting!

You haven't heard about Bjarne Riis? ;)

Who's that?
Began following cycling in the mid 00's, so I wouldnt remember him.. Funny thing is, Im quite sure if I watched racing during that era, I wouldnt have been one of his bigger fans. At least thats how I feel about him right now as the tactics/expert/know-it-all type of guy he is right now.

I watched the Tour he won but I was 4 years old so the extent of knowledge I had about it was that I was wondering how he didn't heat too much up given how he got a new yellow jersey on top of the one he already had on every day...

Reactions: Sandisfan
I watched the Tour he won but I was 4 years old so the extent of knowledge I had about it was that I was wondering how he didn't heat too much up given how he got a new yellow jersey on top of the one he already had on every day...
Can you honestly remember what you thought when you were 4, or is it something you have been told that you expressed at the time? I don't have any direct memories of what I watched before I was nearly six, I think.

• Haha
Can you honestly remember what you thought when you were 4, or is it something you have been told that you expressed at the time? I don't have any direct memories of what I watched before I was nearly six, I think.

Yes, I remember that particular thing quite vividly but otherwise, my recollections of the first Tours are very sparse. In 1997, I remember the Heppner/Voskamp incident and some random win by Didier Rous, in 1998 I know I memorised the entire start list from a newspaper but I didn't understand much of what was happening with the Festina scandal, and then I remember much more from 1999 onwards.

And then I have been told that when I began in kindergarten in 1995, I refused to introduce me by own name but instead called me Induráin but I certainly do not remember that :tearsofjoy:

Yeah, memories like that are always fun. The first TdF-memory I have was Armstrong destroying everyone in 2000 in Hautacam in horrible weather, almost winning the stage and catching the Kelme-rider that now completely has slipped my mind. 2001-2002 I have some images of Heras-Armstrong in the Pyrenees. 2003 and onwards, I remember a lot more than just these weird images of me watching the race and remembering only the smallest things. The Mayo-win on Alpe d Huez is still a great memory..

Then, in 2004 and 2005, I remember watching a lot of Vuelta a Espana with my dad and eating early dinner in front of the TV before going off to football. I have great memories of TV2 Zulu's Vuelta coverage back then. By 2006, I had become a full-fledged Valverde fanatic after reading Tour de France magazines (he looked so good in that white UCI leaders jersey), playing PCM 2006 and his win the year before on Courchevel against Lance and Rasmussen, so that Vuelta was pretty tragic, but nevertheless some great memories of the Vuelta. Tour and Vuelta is pretty much all I remember from these years until 2007 where I watched as many races as possible

Last edited:
200w.gif

Seriously, where is the TTer we saw last year? Any news?

• Wow
Jumbo Visma currently runs on two speeds. The ones that were in Tenerife during February... and the ones that were not. And even though Jonas managed to win last week (and let's face it, not a lot of top riders really took those races seriously), the difference between the two groups seems to be... substantial.

Just for reference, the list of riders that were part of the altitude camp: Roglič, van Aert, Laporte, Kruijswijk, Benoot, Van der Sande, Teunissen, Dennis and Van Hooydonck.

Jumbos generally raise their form for 2 or 3 levels during those training camps. As will be the case before the Tour in Tignes.

Jumbo Visma currently runs on two speeds. The ones that were in Tenerife during February... and the ones that were not. And even though Jonas managed to win last week (and let's face it, not a lot of top riders really took those races seriously), the difference between the two groups seems to be... substantial.

Just for reference, the list of riders that were part of the altitude camp: Roglič, van Aert, Laporte, Kruijswijk, Benoot, Van der Sande, Teunissen, Dennis and Van Hooydonck.

Jumbos generally raise their form for 2 or 3 levels during those training camps. As will be the case before the Tour in Tignes.
Jonas was there too

Cool to hear from one of those people who translate the Feltet.dk previews. One correction, though; Feltet was first (it became an adult last year with its 18th birthday), then they launched CyclingQuotes but that wasn't financially viable, so they had to close it after around three years. Emil had basically been running that site by himself and when it was closed, he was brought over to Feltet to do live updates and previews which meant there was only regular articles to do for the rest of the staff.

I've spent the last +10 years until now, believing the page was called "feltek". It feels like living in a lie!

TRENDING THREADS