• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think he's very strong but he doesn't ride with the confidence & efficiency of a serial winner yet.

He always seems on the limit of either making a tactical mistake in a small group, having some trouble descending or having some sort of mishap (not attacking at the right time either).

If both Rog & Vingego are in top shape in the Tour of course they can be tactically mutually beneficial, but some kinks need to be ironed out. I think JV should have done much better in Itzulia (& his TT seems to be a bit below par right now as well).

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
Jonas actually is something like the new Michael Rasmussen. Both were/are Danish climbers riding for Rabobank/Jumbo… :)

Yes, and they're both named Rasmussen, and they have similar height and build, and they both achieved a surprising Tour de France result, when they were expected to have worked for a taller leader from a former communist country, who achieved most of his GT success in the Vuelta.

But Vingegaard looks more like Menchov than MR in his interviews.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D80cpA4a1gw

Last edited:
Jumbu has to be cautious here and they should also play their cards right.

They have an extremely strong team. Sky like from those days.

But I don't believe that either Rog or Jonas can beat Pog without them utilizing the flat stages with perhaps echelons and crashes being a part of it.

As a team manager I would park WvA's ambitions for the green jersey and make him work solely for Rog and Jonas on the flats.

They need to attack at places that are not the mountains. Remember the tour with the echelons that totally broke - was it Contadors tour ? Or was it his competition?

They need to take chances where they are not expected. Ride strategically.

They have a team that Pog has. But in the mountains he is superior.

I hope Jonas will come out victorious. But the team has to adjust.

Reactions: Sandisfan
For some reason I was looking at the results of Vingegaard from his early days at a Danish conti team when I stumbled upon one of the (in hindsight) most weirdly interesting stage results I’ve seen in a long time, stage 3 of Sibiu Cycling Tour 2016.

I mountain ITT won by a rider from Azerbaijan who I cant say I remember at all. Tvetchov of course on the podium. Then Vingegaard, 20 years of age, in 9th place, 8 seconds faster than a 19 year old Bernal in 10th place, but just a bit slower than youngsters Rebellin (44 at the time) and Pelizotti (38 at the time).

Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
Vingegaard was clearly much better than Roglic today.
But that will probably be different during the Tour. Although I think Vingegaard is better on the longer climbs. Roglic is better if he can save himself, and then sprint away on the last. From next season, Vingegaard will be the leader of the team in the Tour.

I think he’ll be leader by the end of this year’s Tour, no disrespect to Roglic, who I’m rooting for.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
For some reason I was looking at the results of Vingegaard from his early days at a Danish conti team when I stumbled upon one of the (in hindsight) most weirdly interesting stage results I’ve seen in a long time, stage 3 of Sibiu Cycling Tour 2016.

I mountain ITT won by a rider from Azerbaijan who I cant say I remember at all. Tvetchov of course on the podium. Then Vingegaard, 20 years of age, in 9th place, 8 seconds faster than a 19 year old Bernal in 10th place, but just a bit slower than youngsters Rebellin (44 at the time) and Pelizotti (38 at the time).
LIES!
(I'm joking)

Vingegaard is only 1 month older than Bernal. So during that time they would both have been 19 years old.

Jonas is on the ascendancy. Primoz may be near his best. I don't see a leadership issue for the TDF. Jumbo's best chance of beating Pog, if there is a chance, will happen if Jonas is perceived as a real threat and if Jonas is strong enough to be a real threat. Jumbo would be best served to support the GC ambitions of both Primoz and Jonas as far into the TDF as possible. I don't think it's treason for Jonas to declare he has a shot to win the Tour. That's the perception the team should want. My best guess is that Roglic will still be the top guy, but I think the two riders are closer in ability this year than last year.

Jonas is on the ascendancy. Primoz may be near his best. I don't see a leadership issue for the TDF. Jumbo's best chance of beating Pog, if there is a chance, will happen if Jonas is perceived as a real threat and if Jonas is strong enough to be a real threat. Jumbo would be best served to support the GC ambitions of both Primoz and Jonas as far into the TDF as possible. I don't think it's treason for Jonas to declare he has a shot to win the Tour. That's the perception the team should want. My best guess is that Roglic will still be the top guy, but I think the two riders are closer in ability this year than last year.
Very true. The best chance they have to beat Pogacar is if they can gang up on him. They just have to hope they can follow him when he engages the afterburners, because else it doesn't really matter.

TRENDING THREADS