• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think he’ll be leader by the end of this year’s Tour, no disrespect to Roglic, who I’m rooting for.
I agree with that. But it will depend on the team management whether the better of the two will be allowed to duel with Pogacar. But I fear that they will frantically play Roglic as leader. I fear they will use Vingegaard as reserve leader and first
domestique until it's too late.

When Jonas will beat Rogla at trainings and on races then i am sure that he will become JV main GC rider. Until then i doubt they will make the switch. Such period being a year or three years. It doesn't really makes all that much difference. As you can't bluff all that much in cycling. Such things tend to happen by themselves.

Reactions: Sandisfan and acm
Jumbo has a chance against Poga. If they seize that opportunity and move away from their current "Roglic" system.

Both Roglic and Vingegaard are individually not strong enough to defeat Pogacar.
Although I think that Vingegaard will not have to be a lot inferior to Poga at best. Both have to attack again and again. Roglic on shorter climbs, Vingegaard on longer climbs. But then they both have to be able to accept that this can be at the expense of their own winning chances and even podium chances. But I don't think Roglic would want to do that. Roglic hardly ever works for a teammate. Or not thoroughly or for a longer period of time. Cfr the lack of support to Van Aert in different occasions. I don't think Roglic will give up his chances, however slim they may be, to see Vingegaard finish ahead of him. In addition the team management has never shown that they are not conservative and/or go against Roglic. So Pogacar remains the towering favourite, although Jumbo Visma has all the weapons to beat Pogacar

Reactions: Sandisfan
If anything now i do feel that Pogi and his team do need to ask themselves a few questions. Like what i JV does a numbers game on us. Should we worry and how should we respond? The idea of Pogi to just always put a minute or more into others when deciding that. And what if that fails on a couple of tries? What then?

They now at least need to think about that as a realistic possibility.

This thread title is shaping up to be one of the weirdest inside-jokes ever! Just imagine someone seeing this thread title, and wondering how the heck anyone could get the TdF runner-up confused with a - apologies to Chris Harper - rather random guy on Jumbo Visma.

Well it wasn't mentioned in the original title. Maybe I should change it again to something along the lines of "The cyclist formerly known as (not) Chris Harper".

I also have an update: He does have a German Wikipedia page now.

This sport can move so fast sometimes. I only realized that Vingegaard exists in Coppi&Bartali 2021, and the extent of his powers only at the Tour (like most I'd wager). People who follow all races and especially the junior ranks may have been aware of his potential, but to me he basically came out of nowhere and a short season later he now appears to have a shot at the Tour at least as good as freaking Roglic's - the most dominant GC rider not named Pog of the past few seasons.

I still cannot get over this fact, which I have to admit kind of annoys me considering I'm quite a big Rogla fan and know close to zero about Jonas other than he's aloof in interviews and has a tendency to crash uphill. Maybe he'll grow on me, but for now I'd rather see him in a super domestique/lesser leader role (unless he's truly better than Rogla both in TTs and climbs).

This sport can move so fast sometimes. I only realized that Vingegaard exists in Coppi&Bartali 2021, and the extent of his powers only at the Tour (like most I'd wager). People who follow all races and especially the junior ranks may have been aware of his potential, but to me he basically came out of nowhere and a short season later he now appears to have a shot at the Tour at least as good as freaking Roglic's - the most dominant GC rider not named Pog of the past few seasons.

I still cannot get over this fact, which I have to admit kind of annoys me considering I'm quite a big Rogla fan and know close to zero about Jonas other than he's aloof in interviews and has a tendency to crash uphill. Maybe he'll grow on me, but for now I'd rather see him in a super domestique/lesser leader role (unless he's truly better than Rogla both in TTs and climbs).
I heard he was working in a fish market and training at the same time a few years back, then produced amazing numbers on some famous climb (training) and was offered a contract based on that. So, correct, he literally came out of nowhere.

Last edited:
Well, thats just the best comparison I got since hes also a Danish GC-rider that has somewhat of a rep of being not too likable to some people. But I dont understand this Vingegaard bashing at all.
I guess that would be because in interviews he can come off as uninterested due to his (willful) ignorance.

Personally he rubbed me the wrong way in Itzulia by his negative way of riding.

• Haha
I agree entirely with the above posts.

I think the Vingegaard hype is completely out of control. The Danish lobby in particular is working overtime pushing the narrative & they're going to get very noisy during the TdF if it comes down to 3 man battles on the climbs between Pog, Rog & Vinge.

TRENDING THREADS