• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can you give a couple of examples of this? I haven't seen this at all. Not even here in Denmark, where the general consensus seems to be that it was a shame that Roglic lost time.

Edit: By "general consensus" I mean the few articles I've read, and the few people I've talked to. Obviously I don't know what most people are thinking, but I haven't seen any rejoicing anywhere.
Thats the general consensus everywhere, yeah. Only people with no knowledge of cycling goes "thats good for Vingegaard, I love it" after such a crash by one of the favorites. Everybody would prefer a fair fight. These accusations are stupid.

Aint no one happy about this at all, even though it might be a positive for Vingegaard since Roglic will have to go long at some point and he can benefit from that - potentially.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blobs
Yeah, whatever fits your narrative, Rackham. Of course there's some Vingegaard fans delighted about yesterdays outcome, but to call it a "lobby all over the internet" is quite a stretch. Personally I think the race would benefit from having two Jumbo guys fit and close to Pogacar, so yesterdays result didn't feel like a win in any way (it never does, when it's bad luck and not bad legs deciding races).
Not sure I’d class Vingegaard as a winner from yesterday. He is likely stronger than Roglic in the very high mountains in any event where the road always dictated the leader.

He’s lost further time to Pogacar who stomped his authority. Thought Vingegaard would finish second and still think he will but his best shot of actually winning (a long shot in any event) would have been to have kept Roglic as close as possible in GC.

We have to be realistic here. In the current situation there is no chance they have Vingegaard offer or risk his chances for Roglic. While had they finished together, that might still have been a possibility in a certain scenario. With losing only 13 seconds and, unlike Pogacar, getting a free ride, he personally really did "win" yesterday.

That has little to do with cheering for Roglic' bad luck.

Reactions: Lui98
We of course have to see how affected Roglič is by the crash, but he's still only 2 minutes behind Pogačar. Pogačar might not have to respond immediately to every Roglič attack, but if he doesn't and isn't able to crack Vingegaard afterwards, then Roglič might be able to crawl back time. Or If Vingegaard is flying, he might be able to make it across to Roglič in that scenario. If Pogačar is simply too strong, the misfortunes yesterday won't matter much anyway.

And Roglič is also still so close, that there would be no reason to sacrifice him, if Vingegaard is in suffering on la Planche des Belles Filles, for instance.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
It's quite disingenuous to pretend there isn't a sizeable chunk of comments on social media from people who believe yesterday was (at least) a good result because Vinge became clear leader.

What do you want me to do? Repost comments from youtube, Twitter & online forums? Or how about former pros like Rasmussen (the infamous chicken) who was militating for Jonas to have leadership just last week.

It's all there.

It depends on how you exaggerate the 'internet wide lobby' comment just to minimize my point.

If you want to compare cycling comments to more important stuff going on in the world, then yes, it could be said it's incongruous to post 'internet wide lobby' when we're merely talking about the TdF. But within context of the cycling world bubble, sure, there's loads of people who wanted Vinge as sole leader & Rog to work for him.

I don't see why a debate over semantics should exist in this instance.

I think it may also be a case of people wanting to see someone seriously challenge Pogacar this year, or even beat him, and they have more faith in Vingegaard being able to do that.

I think it may also be a case of people wanting to see someone seriously challenge Pogacar this year, or even beat him, and they have more faith in Vingegaard being able to do that.
It seems you are part of the problem too, jumping on the fashion bandwagon of social media trends.
Vingo is too clumsy and nervous to be a real threat, while Roglic has actually proven himself in GTs multiple times and against Pogacar.

It seems you are part of the problem too, jumping on the fashion bandwagon of social media trends.
Vingo is too clumsy and nervous to be a real threat, while Roglic has actually proven himself in GTs multiple times and against Pogacar.
I'm speculating about what other people's motivations might be, I didn't say they were my own (they are not). I'd prefer both Pogacar and Roglic over Vingegaard. And this stuff about social media trends is bollocks, I don't care about those. But hey, you're upset, I get it. It's understandable.

I'm speculating about what other people's motivations might be, I didn't say they were my own (they are not). I'd prefer both Pogacar and Roglic over Vingegaard. And this stuff about social media trends is bollocks, I don't care about those. But hey, you're upset, I get it. It's understandable.
Fair point. I don't think Jumbo are to blame entirely on what happened to Roglic and how he was not that well supported during his chase back to the peloton (he was hurting), but clearly people are both finding a culprit (Jumbo) and a reason for it (favouring Vingo).

Reactions: kingjr
We don't talk about the tall bike incident

FXJSVdhWQAIBiGy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts