• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't get the impression he is particularly well-liked in this forum, despite the overabundance of Danes on here.

Personally, I've never found him especially charismatic, but he does have a nice rags to riches stories.

Peaking just for the Tour and being several notches below that level for the rest of the season is probably playing its part in it. Nothing he did prior to the last couple of stages of the Dauphine suggested he could become the best climber in the world in July. That used to be the reason why Contador was so much more popular than Andy Schleck here during their rivalry some dozen or so years ago.

Even Nibali, a major fan favourite here, got significant criticism in the forum when he stuck with the single superpeak strategy after getting his Tour win. Its not easy to become a fan of a rider if you see his real abilities only for couple of days per year. Today was a fantastic performance, worth every plaudit it gets, but if he keeps only showing that ability in few selected days in July, then among cycling fans he remains respected rather than loved.

Peaking just for the Tour and being several notches below that level for the rest of the season is probably playing its part in it. Nothing he did prior to the last couple of stages of the Dauphine suggested he could become the best climber in the world in July. That used to be the reason why Contador was so much more popular than Andy Schleck here during their rivalry some dozen or so years ago.

Even Nibali, a major fan favourite here, got significant criticism in the forum when he stuck with the single superpeak strategy after getting his Tour win. Its not easy to become a fan of a rider if you see his real abilities only for couple of days per year. Today was a fantastic performance, worth every plaudit it gets, but if he keeps only showing that ability in few selected days in July, then among cycling fans he remains respected rather than loved.
Good point. I suspect that if he ends up beating Pogacar, we'll see a more conservative Pogi next year.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't get the impression he is particularly well-liked in this forum, despite the overabundance of Danes on here.

Personally, I've never found him especially charismatic, but he does have a nice rags to riches stories.
He probably didn't make himself too many friends with his doltish crashes at Basque Country.

That said it was mainly doltish, no viciousness.

The fact Vingegaard worked in a fish factory to fill his time and stay down-to-earth actually sounds like a likable pal!

Vingegaard rode a decent spring apart from the Ardennes. He will never dominate the spring because thats not the rider that he is, but he should definitely be able to win some races here and there. Certainly much better throughout the year than fx. Nibali was in that 14-19 where he almost never did anything outside of his few races.

Its a lot easier for Rogic, Pogacar etc. to dominate the spring simply because they are much more all-round. Jonas is a GT-rider first and foremost, and doesn't have the same ability to dominate cat 1 climbs in Paris-Nice or Tirreno-Adriatico. Roglic and Pogacar can win 1 weeks with their eyes closed since they are explosive, excellent in time trials etc.

Vingegaard rode a decent spring apart from the Ardennes. He will never dominate the spring because thats not the rider that he is, but he should definitely be able to win some races here and there. Certainly much better throughout the year than fx. Nibali was in that 14-19 where he almost never did anything outside of his few races.

Its a lot easier for Rogic, Pogacar etc. to dominate the spring simply because they are much more all-round. Jonas is a GT-rider first and foremost, and doesn't have the same ability to dominate cat 1 climbs in Paris-Nice or Tirreno-Adriatico. Roglic and Pogacar can win 1 weeks with their eyes closed since they are explosive, excellent in time trials etc.

He is certainly best suited for GT-s, in that there's no doubt. But the same applied to Quintana during his peak years, when climbing in high mountains and exceptional recovery were his biggest weapons . Despite that he amassed an excellent palmares in shorter stage races, his supreme climbing ability manifesting itself throughout the season.

Vingegaard, like Quintana before him will likely never be a factor in one day races, but given the abilities he is showing in climbing and TT-ing for the second Tour running, many of the lesser stage races are well within his abilities. As such, being a solid but unspectacular placement rider in those seems to me more a matter of choice rather than of a lack of ability.

He is certainly best suited for GT-s, in that there's no doubt. But the same applied to Quintana during his peak years, when climbing in high mountains and exceptional recovery were his biggest weapons . Despite that he amassed an excellent palmares in shorter stage races, his supreme climbing ability manifesting itself throughout the season.

Vingegaard, like Quintana before him will likely never be a factor in one day races, but given the abilities he is showing in climbing and TT-ing for the second Tour running, many of the lesser stage races are well within his abilities. As such, being a solid but unspectacular placement rider in those seems to me more a matter of choice rather than of a lack of ability.
Agree, Quintana is a great comparison. But lets not forget that he finished 2nd in Pais Vasco, 2nd in Tirreno, 2nd in Dauphine etc. and hes still young. Basically his first season as a co-captain. Theres plenty of time, but my point just is that its not as natural for Jonas as some other types to win in the spring.

Poor guy doesn't have any action in his thread, after winning a tour stage and taking yellow. Let's show him some love!
His legs were speaking all the words today:p

I actually read this thread the other day and were a bit surprised over the discussion about Jumbo and who is the Captain. I'm a Dane - so for me it has been pretty clear, they said it was as Co-captains and Roglic almost told Jonas was the best at the team presentation.

Like I said before in another thread, Roglic is not as good as Jonas at least in a 3 week GC and he never will be again. I think we can establish that fact looking at last year's TDF and this year's, so far.

But Roglic should get a lot of respect for laying himself flat down and give the captain's role to Jonas. And smashing in the door with his vicious attacks. Very big respect.
Big big big applause to Roglic for his effort to help Jonas win the stage and get the yellow jersey. He did everything he could and knew he would blow his own chances on the way. It was excellent work from a big rider.

AND for helping him to learn to be a captain in the team. Jonas really neaded help to learn how to act and have believe in himself - thats a part where he have mentioned Roglic as a big help.

I like him a lot - he is so down to earth and his girlfriend seems to be a big help for him to realice his dreams according to cycling. I also like him being human and keep focus on the family. The other day a journalist asked what he dreamed of = being the best father to his daughter and the best husbond. Of course the journalist excepted another answer - but that just shows something about Jonas and the way he is thinking.

Even though he got second place last year it just seemed a bit mad, to truly believe he would be a contender before we got in the high mountains. Jonas was sick in spring, but looked excellent in the race Roglic won before the tour. In the stage where he towed Roglic to the top, he looked like nothing happened when the crossed the line and in the same instance, Roglic where bent over and gasping for breath. That could either be beacuse he was in good shape og because his form topped to early = that was my thougt.

Healthy Jonas against injured Roglič. This will still have to be settled in the future. Healthy Jonas against (hopefully) healthy Pogačar. This is still to be determined.

Lets not forget TDF 2020.
Nothing is settled yet and everything can change in the days to come. For now Roglic gave up his chances in the tour of 2022, but he is still a good racer and will come back in another race. For me it seemed like Roglic already before the tour and at the teampresentation acknowleged Jonas as the strongest rider - but that doesn't have to be enough to win, you also need to have the mindset to do it and Roglic have the mindset to do these things.

I don't think Pogacar is done yet - he will come out and attack and will have the possibility to take time back in the mountains. And later there is the ITT where he can take back more time.

This was simply an epic stage - thanks to Jumbo-Visma for attacking long range and to give us a stage like that. Courage like this have often lacked, because too many teams are willing to settle for less. It could have failed big time - just read the stage-thread and see how people are talking about JV's bad tactics, just until the time Pogacar cracked. I just read it - and it is hilariuous:p

He probably didn't make himself too many friends with his doltish crashes at Basque Country.

That said it was mainly doltish, no viciousness.

The fact Vingegaard worked in a fish factory to fill his time and stay down-to-earth actually sounds like a likable pal!
When I saw th video of him apologizing to Vlasov after the stage for causing the crash it was not a big deal for me.
He comes off a down to earth, but at the same time he kinda seems to have his head in the clouds half off the time, that makes him really likable for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts