• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pogacar woke up for like 2 races in good form last year after he won the Tour.

The thing for GC riders is that if you don't race the Vuelta - there aren't many viable targets for you either. I've said plenty of times there needs to be a block of mountanious one day races in the fall season.

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan
But that was then, this is now. With Tadej, Wout, MvdP, Remco etc participating, the Tour winner just should be there! And I frowned upon Contador never considering Worlds seriously. I mean I'm not asking for Paris-Roubaix, but Worlds yes. And I don't like the mysterious big exit. Tadej won Lombardia last year, Roglic went to the Vuelta following big crashes, etc. I don't consider it a positive for the sport that the Tour champ just hangs up his wheels after July, especially after winning for the first time.

Says who? Does the route even fit him? Besides, what if it had been 2016 style route? "Should the tour winner just be there" too?
Nothing mysterious about his non-racing period. It's a well-known fact that he doesn't like all the attention, and needs time to rest, and recharge his batteries.

Says who? Does the route even fit him? Besides, what if it had been 2016 style route? "Should the tour winner just be there" too?
Nothing mysterious about his non-racing period. It's a well-known fact that he doesn't like all the attention, and needs time to rest, and recharge his batteries.
Don't be so patriotic. The route isn't flat. I can't approve of this "I don't like the attention and need the rest" nonesence. Change jobs then! Didn't he work at a fish market or something. No, cycling can't afford to have lily-livered Tour champs not showing up at Worlds when the other Bigs are there. It's disrespectful to fans and a grave affront to the history that made the sport Epic.

Pogacar woke up for like 2 races in good form last year after he won the Tour.

The thing for GC riders is that if you don't race the Vuelta - there aren't many viable targets for you either. I've said plenty of times there needs to be a block of mountanious one day races in the fall season.
But he won Lombardia! It's not anyone's fault they moved the Vuelta to late summer (which ruined all the romance!). And yet he did wake up, in fine fashion I might add.

Don't be so patriotic. The route isn't flat. I can't approve of this "I don't like the attention and need the rest" nonesence. Change jobs then! Didn't he work at a fish market or something. No, cycling can't afford to have lily-livered Tour champs not showing up at Worlds when the other Bigs are there. It's disrespectful to fans and a grave affront to the history that made the sport Epic.

You're right. I'm patriotic; I'd prefer the eight spots all go to riders who actually want to be there, rather than it being wasted on someone just because he's the Tour Winner.

But go back through the startlists for the Worlds RR; seems like it's not such a "traditional thing" that the Tour Winner rides... it's almost like they... decide whether or not to race based on a wide variety of factors.

I see nothing wrong with Vingegård skipping the World Championships although the Tour was long ago now he isn't a classics rider, Thomas in 2018 barely raced after his Tour win and even Bernal skipped the World Championships in 2019 but manage to return strong with a 3rd place in Lombardia.

Not all can be like Pogačar, Nibali or Remco winning Grand Tours and big classics in the same season.

You're right. I'm patriotic; I'd prefer the eight spots all go to riders who actually want to be there, rather than it being wasted on someone just because he's the Tour Winner.

But go back through the startlists for the Worlds RR; seems like it's not such a "traditional thing" that the Tour Winner rides... it's almost like they... decide whether or not to race based on a wide variety of factors.
Right after the 80s it all went downhill.

I see nothing wrong with Vingegård skipping the World Championships although the Tour was long ago now he isn't a classics rider, Thomas in 2018 barely raced after his Tour win and even Bernal skipped the World Championships in 2019 but manage to return strong with a 3rd place in Lombardia.

Not all can be like Pogačar, Nibali or Remco winning Grand Tours and big classics in the same season.
I disagree, the Rainbow Jersey is iconic and so the race should be respected. Plus it's the only time of the year riders race for the national team. All the more shameful, and Denmark's own DS would agree, that Johan isn't racing for Denmark.

I disagree, the Rainbow Jersey is iconic and so the race should be respected. Plus it's the only time of the year riders race for the national team. All the more shameful, and Demark's own DS would agree, that Johan isn't racing for Denmark.

How exactly is racing when you're not motivated "respecting" the race?
From what I understand, Anders Lund is completely fine with Jonas not riding (dunno why you're getting Price-Pejtersen mixed into things here, and I think his name is with two n's.)

Reactions: Sandisfan
How exactly is racing when you're not motivated "respecting" the race?
From what I understand, Anders Lund is completely fine with Jonas not riding (dunno why you're getting Price-Pejtersen mixed into things here, and I think his name is with two n's.)
Not being motivated is not respecting the race, but being a primadonna. I'm sorry, but I was weaned on cycling in a different era and precisely because there is a Pog and a Remco, a WvA and a MvdP in this generation I've regained enthusiasm.

Not being motivated is not respecting the race, but being a primadonna. I'm sorry, but I was weaned on cycling in a different era and precisely because there is a Pog and a Remco, a WvA and a MvdP in this generation I've regained enthusiasm.

Again, I think it's much more respecting the race to leave the spot to a guy who actually wants to be there, rather than going as filler just because some *** *** "tradition" says so!
Who gives a *** what happened in the 80es, or even 90es?
You're acting like the world of cycling is gonna detoriate just because one guy isn't riding, and his reason for not riding - simple lack of motivation - is by far better than all the riders who are not allowed to ride by their trade teams, because said teams need to chase points.
Why is not being motivated being a primadonna? Are riders required to always be motivated to certain races? Are riders not allowed to need time off, for however long?

Denmark team should select their best 8 riders on current form to give them the best chance of winning Worlds

Vinge is not among them at the moment. Simple as that.

Not everybody is a hyper motivated narcissistic guy that needs to be in the spotlight constantly.

Nibali was my favourite rider partly because he tried to win big classics as a GC rider. But he often skipped Worlds because either the team didn't select him, or he didn't want to go because he couldn't have a chance on the course, or he wasn't in form

Relax and enjoy the life. The world doesn't revolve around you.

Denmark team should select their best 8 riders on current form to give them the best chance of winning Worlds

Vinge is not among them at the moment. Simple as that.

Not everybody is a hyper motivated narcissistic guy that needs to be in the spotlight constantly.

Nibali was my favourite rider partly because he tried to win big classics as a GC rider. But he often skipped Worlds because either the team didn't select him, or he didn't want to go because he couldn't have a chance on the course, or he wasn't in form

Relax and enjoy the life. The world doesn't revolve around you.

Loool, now you're narcissistic for being on form for a lot of the year. Nice to see your strategy regarding how to cope with a potential world title for Van Aert :rolleyes:

Reactions: Extinction
Again, I think it's much more respecting the race to leave the spot to a guy who actually wants to be there, rather than going as filler just because some * * "tradition" says so!
Who gives a *** what happened in the 80es, or even 90es?
You're acting like the world of cycling is gonna detoriate just because one guy isn't riding, and his reason for not riding - simple lack of motivation - is by far better than all the riders who are not allowed to ride by their trade teams, because said teams need to chase points.
Why is not being motivated being a primadonna? Are riders required to always be motivated to certain races? Are riders not allowed to need time off, for however long?
I realize this is unpopular, and I'm no reactionary, but this is so typical coming from a generation that places no value in the history of the sport, but only calculated risk. And I can only respond to your who gives a *** about the 80s with I'm sorry you didn't know It. For it was the best cycling, when the science of training started yet the romance of old was not yet dead.

I realize this is unpopular, and I'm no reactionary, but this is so typical coming from a generation that places no value in the history of the sport, but only calculated risk. And I can only respond to your who gives a *** about the 80s with I'm sorry you didn't know It. For it was the best cycling, when the science of training started yet the romance of old was not yet dead.

Here's how I feel every time I read/hear about that "history of the sport" ***:

1f92e.png

Who gives a *** about the 80es?
Who gives a *** about the 90es?
Heck, I'm even running out of fucks to give about what happened in the 00es.

Reactions: stonerider

TRENDING THREADS