• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Your opinion is fine. You're entitled to it.
Arguments, though, are unveiling ignorance.
No they aren't, whereas you making a comparison with Paris-Roubaix only evidences yours. I think this is another case in which the Tour has gotten too big at the expense of other races on the calendar, particularly Worlds. It started perhaps with Indurain, although became a matter of praxis under Armstrong, then Contador and Froome, whose repeated absences at Worlds diminished the race. I don't think that's disputabile compared to the Worlds up through the 80s and the spirit and prestige that surrounded the event at the time. Now one can find nothing wrong with it or think it a shame, and I've read articles in the past voicing complaints over Worlds not being what it used to be on the calendar. I don't think the criticism is baseless, let alone ignorant, but seen through lenses that have watched the sport over many decades.

Last edited:
That's not the point, but contributing to the status of the race, which has clearly been diminished over I'd say the last two decades. And cycling needs a Worlds that lives up to it's name, to give the sport a reason to be watched other than casually by many in July.
That's exactly what I'm asking... Would he wake up a significant amount of viewers?
You're obviously trolling.

That's not the point, but contributing to the status of the race, which has clearly been diminished over I'd say the last two decades. And cycling needs a Worlds that lives up to it's name, to give the sport a reason to be watched other than casually by many in July.

I sincerely doubt anyone would watch the Worlds only because the Tour winner participates or vice-versa for that matter.
Your main point is that "cycling needs a worlds that lives up to its name..." But Vingegaard wouldn't change the outcome of the race in any way..
I would understand your point if it was the supposed-to-be 2020 worlds route in Switzerland, where he might've been amongst the favorites, hence him not being there hinders the race.. But in this route..why would he go to Australia for a race he has no chance at?
Besides, Denmark has 8 riders better suited to this route than Vingegaard.

So, move on.

I sincerely doubt anyone would watch the Worlds only because the Tour winner participates or vice-versa for that matter.
Your main point is that "cycling needs a worlds that lives up to its name..." But Vingegaard wouldn't change the outcome of the race in any way..
I would understand your point if it was the supposed-to-be 2020 worlds route in Switzerland, where he might've been amongst the favorites, hence him not being there hinders the race.. But in this route..why would he go to Australia for a race he has no chance at?
Besides, Denmark has 8 riders better suited to this route than Vingegaard.

So, move on.
Move on? Where to? What about the Imola course of 2020, which had + 5000 meters of climbing on the course? Would that qualify for Vingegaard to show up? Why go to Australia? I don't know. Perhaps to race? What a revolution!

The point is that here Pog goes, Van Aert goes, Remco goes (with the exception of Van Aert, is the course any more suited to the others than Jonas and, if so, by how much? I mean it's not a 1980 Sallances or 1995 Diutama mountain goat's parcourse), while Johnas has been called up by Denmark, but refused to go. The Tour winner isn't going to represent his flag, but the runner up is, and the reason stated is lack of motivation (for Worlds?).
Pog and Evenepoel go because they are actually favorites on the course to win, when Vingegaard wouldn’t even be a dark horse. Yes, Pogacar has actually shown he is a favorite on this type of course while Vingegaard hasn’t.

I wouldn’t say he’s less motivated. Building/buying a home is an important part of one’s life for some people. He’d rather do that and spend time with his family then go on the opposite side of the world and time zone to end up not focused on the building for weeks potentially.

I wouldn’t say he’s less motivated. Building/buying a home is an important part of one’s life for some people. He’d rather do that and spend time with his family then go on the opposite side of the world and time zone to end up not focused on the building for weeks potentially.

"Than". He'd rather spent time with his family than go on the opposite of the World. Not then.

Obvious only to you. What don't you understand about playing one's part in the larger scheme of things? That this has not been the case over the last couple of decades has resulted in a Worlds that isn't what it used to be for cycling, which is a shame.
Perhaps it the end of September date that it's been over recent years, next year it moves back to its traditional early August date.

Reactions: Extinction
He is starting tomorrow, oh yeah.

- I have been able to relax and build again for the last races. I felt I needed to relax after the Tour de France, it has been a good time and it's not often you have two months without races but I was allowed to by the team and I'm happy about that. (from eb.dk)

TRENDING THREADS