• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The footage of Roglic barely getting off his bike was there for everyone to see. Also if you're Pogacar are you really afraid of Roglic at 90%? Not to mention that Roglic dropped after Pogacars first attack once the Galibier really started. At that moment he should have already stopped.

I don't doubt Vingegaard was the best rider in the race. But I also don't think Hautacam and Granon are super representative of the actual gap between them. Pogacar also crashed on the Spandelles descent and it may have affected him on Hautacam and in the ITT. I think the fact that Vingegaard couldn't beat Pogacar on PdbF and Peyragudes should indicate it was at least somewhat close.

With a good strategy the 2v1 attacks should not play that much of a role, and Vingegaard just has to attack Pogacar 1v1 after a much less crazy Galibier, and I don't think Vingegaard immediately takes yellow on the Granon. Also a chance Vingegaard attacks even later than he did.
Vingegaard also crashed at some point, I don't know if you remember. Benoot wasn't quite the same after that crash. La Planche suits Pogacar way more than Vingegaard, the fact that Jonas almost beat him was actually already a sign that we had a real fight on our hands. Peyragudes also turned into a Pogacar type of climb thanks to McNulty, who had the best day he has ever had on a bike and who made it one long leadout for the final sprint. That sprint was always going to be won by Pogi.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Vingegaard also crashed at some point, I don't know if you remember. Benoot wasn't quite the same after that crash. La Planche suits Pogacar way more than Vingegaard, the fact that Jonas almost beat him was actually already a sign that we had a real fight on our hands. Peyragudes also turned into a Pogacar type of climb thanks to McNulty, who had the best day he has ever had on a bike and who made it one long leadout for the final sprint. That sprint was always going to be won by Pogi.
I think being nearly completely equal on 22 minute climbs normally would not really compute a >1minute gap on a 36 minute climb, even if one of those guys was normally better on the big climbs.

Crashes are basically never 1:1 equatable.

Reactions: Poursuivant
That's the February .1 race in the pocket.

Time for hibernation until Dauphine
I take the opposite perspective, if I am Jay Hindley I am licking the lips right now, seeing Pogacar and Vinegaard going thermonuclear in february and peaking too early.

Pog and Vineg will surely be fighting like maniacs at Paris Nice, meanwhile Hindley does his clever slow build for le tour

I think Vingegaard had a slightly underwhelming spring last year because either something went somewhat wrong or because Jumbo simply didn't need him to fly during the spring.

I wouldn't be surprised that this year they simply decided to just go a bit harder in the spring with Vingegaard because they're now more confident in him flying in July anyway.

I think Vingegaard had a slightly underwhelming spring last year because either something went somewhat wrong or because Jumbo simply didn't need him to fly during the spring.

I wouldn't be surprised that this year they simply decided to just go a bit harder in the spring with Vingegaard because they're now more confident in him flying in July anyway.
To be fair, in his first race of the season last year he was also really strong. Rode Ayuso straight off his wheel, IIRC. The classics are a different story, somehow they don't really suit him. I don't know why because he thrives in hard races... but not in hard one day races.

and Vinegaard going thermonuclear in february

Ah, I think Vingegaard‘s victory of today was not „sensationally“ impressive. He clearly did a very good race, and probably could’ve gone even harder, but results ranking and numbers were not extremely impressive, IMHO. The race startlist is also not too strong.

Well, he beat the very strong Guerreiro, who clearly is in very good shape, with a nice time gap. But we probably expected this from Vingegaard, who takes his job seriously, and apparently did not have a winter like Ullrich did have in the winter of 1997 to 1998, after TdF victory.

Paris-Nice with Pog vs Jonas might be interesting, looking forward to that.

Nice to see that champions return to France. 20 years ago, champions rode Roubaix, Dauphine and TdF, and no other races in France. Nowadays, Pog and Jonas do Paris-Nice, Drome/Ardeche has a strong startlist, and even Ineos rides Besseges. Nice to watch…

We just need to see all those super riders in the same races together. Each of them can completely dominate a race, but it's mathematically impossible that they all dominate a race where they are all present. In so far it is really annoying that they are all doing different races and if they are in one race there's a tendency that they are at very different stages of their preparation or not even there as a leader.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
I think there was 0 reason to extrapolate from Dumoulin onto Vingegaard. If anyone you're a bit worried for an Andy Schleck scenario, but Vingegaard never appeared unmotivated in general outside of the Tour.
Vingegaard is like Dumoulin in the sense that he doesn't like to be the center of attention, which is pretty unavoidable if you win the Tour (or in Dumoulin's case, the Giro). There was definitely the sense that he needed some time out of the spotlight after all the Tour madness. Other than that I don't see a lot of similarity between the two either, Dumoulin was almost a willy-nilly cyclist, Vingegaard really seems to like what he's doing.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
Good to see. There is zero risk now of Pog making the same mistakes he made on Granon in 2022 TdF. This is shaping up to be quite a battle in July - and it's still only February. :)
Pogi would lose the tour anyways. He would never be able at his best to follow Vingegaard at granon. Probably at his best, without mistakes he would lose 45 s/1 min.
But then, on hautacam and the ITT, Vingegaard proved that he was the strongest. The strongest team and the strongest rider won. I don't buy that narrative of "pogi lost the tour because of his mistakes", and i am a big fan of pogacar.

Last edited:
Reactions: noob
Pogi would lose the tour anyways. He would never be able at his best to follow Vingegaard at granon. Probably at his best, without mistakes he would lose 45 s/1 min.
But then, on hautacam and the ITT, Vingegaard proved that he was the strongest. The strongest team and the strongest rider won. I don't but that narrative of "pogi lost the tour because of his mistakes", and i am a big fan of pogacar.
Vingegaard beat Pog by 8” in the TT after he was going full out before he almost crashed for fear Pog beats WVA’s time. There’s a difference between someone attacking all the time and the other just having to follow. Pogacar had to recover of his own mistake responding to and attacking two riders with doing a lot of the work on a hard stage, plus his whole team falling apart and the Covid rumors.

Vingegaard is like Dumoulin in the sense that he doesn't like to be the center of attention, which is pretty unavoidable if you win the Tour (or in Dumoulin's case, the Giro). There was definitely the sense that he needed some time out of the spotlight after all the Tour madness. Other than that I don't see a lot of similarity between the two either, Dumoulin was almost a willy-nilly cyclist, Vingegaard really seems to like what he's doing.
That's a fairly common personality trait lol, that's not enough reason to worry about Vingegaard. If anything it also makes it more likely he'll just go back to training after some time off.

But then, on hautacam and the ITT, Vingegaard proved that he was the strongest. The strongest team and the strongest rider won. I don't but that narrative of "pogi lost the tour because of his mistakes", and i am a big fan of pogacar.
Jesus Christ, when you will you take a minute to think things over a bit?

Vingegaard beat Pog by 8” in the TT after he was going full out before he almost crashed for fear Pog beats WVA’s time. There’s a difference between someone attacking all the time and the other just having to follow. Pogacar had to recover of his own mistake responding to and attacking two riders with doing a lot of the work on a hard stage, plus his whole team falling apart and the Covid rumors.
Vingegaard stopped riding at the end and celebrated instead. He was winning before that. Probably could have finished 30 seconds faster if he had gone all the way to line.

Reactions: Andy schleck
Vingegaard stopped riding at the end and celebrated instead. He was winning before that. Probably could have finished 30 seconds faster if he had gone all the way to line.
Yes, after he almost crashed and Pog wasn’t going to pass WVA. Could Vingegaard have made up the time without the collapse, yes. But it would have been harder if he had to be the one attacking and Pog just rides his wheel and punches away.

Reactions: Cookster15
And Pog likely would have been at least 30 seconds faster if not for his errors on stage 11 and then his team falling apart as mentioned. We know from stage 20 of the 2020 TdF what Pog is capable of. Vingo's cupboard of career wins is bare by comparison to Pog - and he is nearly two years older. Of course, lets hope they both stay healthy so we have a good fight in July.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93

TRENDING THREADS