• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 65 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The trouble starts with these ridiculous thread names that have come up. I don't know who first started it but the simple, banal thread names were fine as it was.
There are only 3-4 posters who care and decide for everyone else about these things anyway. Let them have their fun, I guess. Usually the same ones who have complaints about everything and what they say that is how it is.

• Haha
Reactions: wheresmybrakes
In terms of pursuit of performance, Vingegaard reached insane levels last year & probably will again in the 2023 TdF. I expect him to show signs of that in the Dauphiné next week (although he probably won't have to go deep at all, so we'll just get a few glimpses of the true power he has in his legs).

Not gonna lie, even though I support Pog I'm curious what kind of power they installed in the latest Skeleton version. Scary stuff. Maybe we will see some epic scenes at the Dauphine already :p

Last edited:
Look I'm serious here. I'm with my new favorite poster above. People that want to hate & clown can go straight to the clinic discussion with Rackham & Rackham's buddies. The title should be non-judgmental and to mention someone with ****** **** in the same sentence is the worst most insulting thing I can think of.
If I had made called "Jakob Fuglsang is the new Bjarne Riis" back in the day, I would have done so because they were both GC riders, were both from the same greater Danish region, and because they sounded quite a lot alike in the views. Plus Riis was of course also an important figure in Fuglsang's career at the time.

Vingegaard also has a lot of things in common with Riis and Rasmussen. First of all he's a lightweight climber, like Rasmussen, and he even rides for the same team as he did. They also both had a bit of a team leader battle going on with another rider.

Just like Riis he too was going to war against a guy who seemed unbeatable, but despite the odds he proved to be the best in both the mountains and in the time trial. He also won a crushing victory on Hautacam along the way like Riis had done before him.

I could have named the thread "Jonas Vingegaard is the love child of Leif Mortensen and Ole Ritter", but that would have been less accurate.

Anyway at the end of the day you need to create your own threads if you want to be in control of their titles (well unless you're Logic I guess).

Reactions: Sandisfan
They're already celebrating a certain TDF victory. With Pog weakened there is no stopping them.

Fw_Dy7ZWYAAz6vh

I am by no mean fan of Vingegaard, but why do people think that Pogacar, Roglic, or Thomas may pose a threat to him if he is 100 % ?
The man did 6,25w/kg for 30 min on Spandelles then continued with 6,32w.kg for 36'37" on Hautacam.

In GT only :
Thomas' record on such lenght is 6,08 for 38 min on Huez 2022.
Roglic's would be Angliru 2020 with 6,17, or 6,1 on Alto de Velefique 2021.
Pogacar's is Hautacam 2020 (on such length), with 6,1 where he was obliterated.

Only Remco has stats that could match Vingegaard, with 6,5 on Pico Jano, but only 30min, low altitude, almost unipuerto, and early on the GT, and 6,19 on Penas Blancas for 45 min, also a unipuerto, low altitude.

Remco and Pog could take time to Vingegaard in other place : Cobbles, punchy finishes, strategic moves on the flat, or of course if Vingegaard makes an error (not enough food or something).
But on high and long climb, unless they stepped up (Remco could have already but we didn't get to see this sadly), Vingegaard should smoke them.
Also, in his team he has WVA. That man can get you back to the front in no time, close gaps on all terrains, good luck getting rid of Vingegaard if WVA is still there.

I hope Remco or Pog are now better on long climbs than before, so we can have a match.

I am by no mean fan of Vingegaard, but why do people think that Pogacar, Roglic, or Thomas may pose a threat to him if he is 100 % ?
The man did 6,25w/kg for 30 min on Spandelles then continued with 6,32w.kg for 36'37" on Hautacam.

In GT only :

Only Remco has stats that could match Vingegaard, with 6,5 on Pico Jano, but only 30min, low altitude, almost unipuerto, and early on the GT, and 6,19 on Penas Blancas for 45 min, also a unipuerto, low altitude.

Remco and Pog could take time to Vingegaard in other place : Cobbles, punchy finishes, strategic moves on the flat, or of course if Vingegaard makes an error (not enough food or something).
But on high and long climb, unless they stepped up (Remco could have already but we didn't get to see this sadly), Vingegaard should smoke them.
Also, in his team he has WVA. That man can get you back to the front in no time, close gaps on all terrains, good luck getting rid of Vingegaard if WVA is still there.

I hope Remco or Pog are now better on long climbs than before, so we can have a match.
W/kg estimates comparisons between very different races are relatively pointless parcours, fatigue, tactics and weather are so different. The fastest MTF of the last few years was Piancavallo 2020 but don't tell me that Kelderman is better than Pogacar.

In GT only :

Vingegaard did that in the last week of the tour, after very hard stages and in the most fastest tour ever.

In GT only :

Watts per kilo has its flaws, for example Pogačar best climbing GT performance, in my opinion at least, was in the Tour 2021 stage 8 where the watts weren't crazy high but the weather was very bad.

Still, the disrespect that many cycling fans give Vingegård is crazy, he had already dropped Pogačar on Mont Ventoux in 2021 and last season, he beat him by a wide margin yet people seem to believe it was all due to Jumbo/Roglič/Van Aert. I blame people like Chris Horner for that, as the guy still seems to think Roglič is a better GT rider than Vingegård, despite the latter coming second and first in the last Tours.

Watts per kilo has its flaws, for example Pogačar best climbing GT performance, in my opinion at least, was in the Tour 2021 stage 8 where the watts weren't crazy high but the weather was very bad.

Still, the disrespect that many cycling fans give Vingegård is crazy, he had already dropped Pogačar on Mont Ventoux in 2021 and last season, he beat him by a wide margin yet people seem to believe it was all due to Jumbo/Roglič/Van Aert. I blame people like Chris Horner for that, as the guy still seems to think Roglič is a better GT rider than Vingegård, despite the latter coming second and first in the last Tours.
On the Granon without Roglic/Jumbo, Pogacar probably finishes only 45 sec behind Vingegaard.
On the cobbles, without WVA, Pogacar probably gains one minute to Vingegaard.

But with more deficit, maybe Vingegaard could have gone faster on Huez and on Mende.
Anyway, with Hautacam + Granon he would have had enough to win, even if Pogacar did not forget to eat.

On the Granon without Roglic/Jumbo, Pogacar probably finishes only 45 sec behind Vingegaard.
On the cobbles, without WVA, Pogacar probably gains one minute to Vingegaard.

But with more deficit, maybe Vingegaard could have gone faster on Huez and on Mende.
Anyway, with Hautacam + Granon he would have had enough to win, even if Pogacar did not forget to eat.
Pogacar probably would win one minute if Vingegaard didn't have pogacar, but Vingegaard also had bad luck. He had a puncture, different from being dropped.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS