• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 63 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not sure about Pogačar, it's certainly not the preparation plan he had in mind before being forced so, but I've heard rumors about Jonas being in frighteningly great shape, expecting even considerably better shape than last tour, training numbers are said to be over nine thousand!
Right now, I would put my money on Jonas before Tadej, hoping to be proven wrong of course.

Reactions: Sandisfan
With this spring, and a better prep than last year, I'd expect nothing less than 9000 watts from Jonas. But what stages is he gonna strike on this year? Hopefully he will have more self-confidence and shoot a bit more loosely than the very controlled (and smart) race he rode last year.

With this spring, and a better prep than last year, I'd expect nothing less than 9000 watts from Jonas. But what stages is he gonna strike on this year? Hopefully he will have more self-confidence and shoot a bit more loosely than the very controlled (and smart) race he rode last year.
I just don't really think Vingegaard needs these specific conditions to beat Pogacar on a mountain stage. Just take a decently long climb, hard climb, drill the *** out of it, and go. Bonus points for having teammates in the break.

If I were Jumbo I'd just tell Van Aert he can want what he wants, but he is going in that breakaway over the Tourmalet so he can take a piss from the top of the climb again except this time Vingegaard is joining him solo

I'm not sure about Pogačar, it's certainly not the preparation plan he had in mind before being forced so, but I've heard rumors about Jonas being in frighteningly great shape, expecting even considerably better shape than last tour, training numbers are said to be over nine thousand!
Right now, I would put my money on Jonas before Tadej, hoping to be proven wrong of course.

Yup, cycling home and jogging upstairs is not an optimal preparation for Pogacar. Even at his best beating Vingegaard would be very hard but this doesn't look like the best preparation. We will see, I'm still hoping for a great spectacle but yeah, Vinge is in a better position to win the Tour.

I would say stages 9, 14 and 17 seem the most likely stages for Vingegård to drop Pogačar. Stage 9 because Puy de Dôme is super steep in the last 4/5 kilometers, stage 14 is a proper mountain stage and Joux Plane is steeper than Hautacam last year and stage 17 is the hardest one of the race and Col de Loze is a beast of a climb.

I am not to sure about stage 6 as Tourmalet is not that steep but if Pogačar comes undercooked due to his injury recovery (hopefully not), I can see him getting dropped there too but with the long descent before the final climb, tactics are going matter more than in other stages.

He just needs one stage, and that is the stage of col de la loze. But the stage of joux plane is also suitable for him. Long range attack from tourmalet can be a option.

I've heard in february that his training numbers were frightening, but then Paris-Nice came...

Reactions: Vudy and Sandisfan
I don't know if a better preparation really benefits Vingegaard, apparently the formula for success with him is not actually doing that much. A bit like it was with Geoghegan Hart: doing less got him in a better form. Vingegaard has had a shortened prep for the Tour twice now, and twice he was really strong in July. Maybe months of prep actually has the opposite effect.

I think he's going to lose the Tour this year, because so far Danes have only been able to win the Tour when it began in places starting with Den (Denmark/Den Bosch). They also both started with a time trial and Hautacam featured as well. But then Pogačar hasn't yet won a Tour that started outside of France, so maybe the winner will be a third guy?

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS