• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 169 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No chance today scares Vingegaard.

No I don't think so either, going on feel only Tirreno seemed more impressive. I do think Pogacar looks a touch better than last year though, but his main goals come earlier so you would expect him to be in better shape.

Would be more interesting if he wasn't doing the Giro, I can't ever remember someone looking better in the TDF after winning it, even a fully juiced Pantani had to rely on a legendary blowup from Ulle in the rain when he won it.

No I don't think so either, going on feel only Tirreno seemed more impressive. I do think Pogacar looks a touch better than last year though, but his main goals come earlier so you would expect him to be in better shape.

Would be more interesting if he wasn't doing the Giro, I can't ever remember someone looking better in the TDF after winning it, even a fully juiced Pantani had to rely on a legendary blowup from Ulle in the rain when he won it.
Pogacar was winning at will last year as well.

If he did this schedule last year he would've put 30s into Roglic on Lo Port and everyone wouuld be frigging screaming about the 6.9W/kg+ for 23 minutes on Lo Port

Pogacar was winning at will last year as well.

If he did this schedule last year he would've put 30s into Roglic on Lo Port and everyone wouuld be frigging screaming about the 6.9W/kg+ for 23 minutes on Lo Port
He was winning at will before LBL. Hopefully Pogacar stays uninjured and healthy this year.

Last year Pogacar crashed and broke his wrist in LBL on April 23. The circumstances of that crash and his rush to get back into shape is also related to why I think he cracked in the TdF on stage 17. I don't think he can beat Vingegaard in July because he is aiming for the double. But I will be cheering for a far more likable and entertaining rider.

Last edited:

The possible caveat is this years Giro is lighter on climbing and has a less competitive field. But then, if Pog was confident he could beat Vingegaard healthy then why risk this by going for the double?

Footnote: That 1998 TdF stage is the best I've ever watched. RIP Marco.

That's just unfiltered knee jerk before they saw Vingegaards power data of that day.
It was weird when zeermann said Vingegaard did his best numbers/best performance ever on puy de dome. There are so many other impressive perfomances than what he did on that day, difficult to believe that marie blanque wasn't better.

Well, it was at least supposedly "his best perfomance ever" until the ITT.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Once you won the Tour you likely aren't scared of many things any more. Still i doubt Jonas would jump in Planica.

66070810.jpg

Was trying to find modern-day riders who've done better in the TdF than in the Giro having ridden both for GC, I'd forgotten how many race days Carlos Sastre used to do, guy seemed to be routinely going for results in 2/3 GTs every season.

Not only that but how much did Frank Schleck tank on that 2008 TT, dropping 4 places in GC but also being comically humbled by a mammoth 2 minutes 30 to future Tour of Poland 85th place finisher The Dawg, ending an impressive 14th on the day, a young, impressionable Taxus probably watching on the roadside.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Was trying to find modern-day riders who've done better in the TdF than in the Giro having ridden both for GC, I'd forgotten how many race days Carlos Sastre used to do, guy seemed to be routinely going for results in 2/3 GTs every season.

Not only that but how much did Frank Schleck tank on that 2008 TT, dropping 4 places in GC but also being comically humbled by a mammoth 2 minutes 30 to future Tour of Poland 85th place finisher The Dawg, ending an impressive 14th on the day, a young, impressionable Taxus probably watching on the roadside.
Lance Armstrong, 2009. 12th & 3rd
Maybe Levi if he hadn't crashed

Basso 2005, 25th and 2nd
Menchov 2008, 5th and 3rd(4th)
Froome and Dumoulin in 2018 is the closest to winning both races.