• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 171 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's now 3 years in a row, that Pogacar has smashed everyone and everything in sight throughout spring - and people have been saying Vingegaard would have no chance in the Tour, because Pogacar is a level above everyone else (which he is in those races).

The previous 2 years Vingegaard then murdered Pogacar in week 3 of the Tour, especially on climbs above 2000 metres and in ITTs with gradients.

This year the Tour hits 2800 metres and has a climbers ITT in week 3.

I'm starting to think some people in here are quite stubborn ;)
Pog has upped his game, for which it is legitimate to wonder if Vingo can beat him in the Tour, given that Tadej has demonstrated he can win everything.

Reactions: Sandisfan
vingegaard have tried liege and lombardia several times..hes never even been top 10 so even if he did its irrelevant in the bigpicture stuff.

And he wont he will however from next year try lombardia again ive been told from visma ppl.

• Wow
Of course it's legitimate to wonder, we all do that.

It's not however legitimate to assert Pogacar will easily beat him, on the back of some spring results - especially when Pogacar is riding the Giro to win it ;)
I never said Pog could easily beat Vingo, but evidently Maxtin realized that the Tadej of the last two years wasn't good enough. And, so, they made him better and this version could be good enough to beat Vingegaard, but after the Giro might not be.

Why do you assume that Vingegaard won't continue to improve?

Vingegaard probably even have more room for progression.
I'm not assuming anything, but it will be harder for Vingegaard to improve upon the level of last year. So, the question is, would an improved Pogacar be able to beat last year's Vingegaard? Second question: can Vingegaard significantly up his game? If the answer to the first question is yes, the second no, then the Tour is up for grabs.

I never said Pog could easily beat Vingo, but evidently Maxtin realized that the Tadej of the last two years wasn't good enough. And, so, they made him better and this version could be good enough to beat Vingegaard, but after the Giro might not be.

It wasn't directed at you personally, but rather a general comment on some of the Pogacar fans trolling the Vingegaard forum ;)

Reactions: Extinction
Pogacar can easily win the Giro in one stage and then cruise to his victory though. I personally don't think the Giro will be that taxing to him, if he plays his cards right.

Pogacar can easily win the Giro in one stage and then cruise to his victory though. I personally don't think the Giro will be that taxing to him, if he plays his cards right.
But would the Giro be the best preparation for the Tour? Nowadays they go to altitude camp and essentially do a GT, but with much more climbing in a controlled environmnet, to maximize peak building, whilst minimizing the effects of mental stress and physical fatigue. So, in theory, one arrives at the big goal both crazy fit and fresh, with a super peak in the making. Consequently, even if the Giro is "light" and "easy", it paradoxically still might not give Tadej the arms necessary to beat Vingo at the Tour. But only time will tell.

Reactions: Krzysztof_O
But would the Giro be the best preparation for the Tour? Nowadays they go to altitude camp and essentially do a GT, but with much more climbing in a controlled environmnet, to maximize peak building, whilst minimizing the effects of mental stress and physical fatigue. So, in theory, one arrives at the big goal both crazy fit and fresh, with a super peak in the making. Consequently, even if the Giro is "light" and "easy", it paradoxically still might not give Tadej the arms necessary to beat Vingo at the Tour. But only time will tell.

Yup, plus a GT is never a controlled environment efforts-wise, especially for a guy who targets GC win. One can do a few intense efforts too many and instead of gradual buildup it changes into physical fatigue. And there's obviously no way to eliminate mental stress factor, every day one has to be alert and avoid any kind of troubles.

Reactions: Extinction