• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard thread: Mountain Sprinter

Page 159 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If they had a DS with balls, he could have said: We've agreed to work for Primoz today, so that's the plan. I'm sure he'll want to honour Nathan as well. You had your chance the other day. You're of course allowed to follow attacks to close them down, but if that ultimately puts you into a position where you can win, and Primoz is behind, then that's racing.

And they should probably have done a better job of talking that situation over with the riders afterwards and decided to neutralise the internal GC fight. Then they could have ridden for Roglič on Angliru, instead of having him throw a hissy fit.
Yeah, well, in a perfect world everyone is happy. For a few hours they actually thought Van Hooydonck had died, and shortly before the final climb they heard that he was still alive. I don't think the DSes were too concerned at that point with whomever went off the front and if everything went exactly as they had planned beforehand (which it never does anyway).

Yeah, well, in a perfect world everyone is happy. For a few hours they actually thought Van Hooydonck had died, and shortly before the final climb they heard that he was still alive. I don't think the DSes were too concerned at that point with whomever went off the front and if everything went exactly as they had planned beforehand (which it never does anyway).
Nah it's still super bad rider managment.

Especially if they get news it's gonna be relatively okay before they even hit the final climb, and then suddenly Vingegaard wants to win for his buddy?

Reactions: acm

Especially if they get news it's gonna be relatively okay before they even hit the final climb, and then suddenly Vingegaard wants to win for his buddy?

I don't think it's unlikely that Vingegaard was bummed out and that the news helped re-energise him before the final. He seems to be an emotional guy. So far he's only dedicated victories to the living.

Reactions: theyoungest

Somehow this forum desperately wants Vingegaard's emotions to be dishonest. Meanwhile a guy who hardly shows any emotion at all gets all kinds of emotions ascribed to him by his fans. Fascinating stuff.

"Oh, he's alive? Great. Now let's move on to the order of the day like nothing has happened". That's how you would argue in such a situation?

Somehow this forum desperately wants Vingegaard's emotions to be dishonest. Meanwhile a guy who hardly shows any emotion at all gets all kinds of emotions ascribed to him by his fans. Fascinating stuff.

"Oh, he's alive? Great. Now let's move on to the order of the day like nothing has happened". That's how you would argue in such a situation?
I don't doubt he was emotional. I just say it's a poor excuse for *** team cohesion. Similarly, the DSs bungled up by not flat out telling him no when he asked on the radio if he could attack.

Reactions: acm and Blanco
If we remove all the emotional stuff, and looks at it from a purely tactical perspective, wasn't it a fairly common move?

One rider - Vingegaard - attacks, while the other rider(s) of the team - Roglic and Kuss - stays with the group, forcing the other teams to chase.
Either the attacking rider stays away, and wins. Or, if he's caught, the next rider can counter-attack, or sprint from the group.

Reactions: Sandisfan
If we remove all the emotional stuff, and looks at it from a purely tactical perspective, wasn't it a fairly common move?

One rider - Vingegaard - attacks, while the other rider(s) of the team - Roglic and Kuss - stays with the group, forcing the other teams to chase.
Either the attacking rider stays away, and wins. Or, if he's caught, the next rider can counter-attack, or sprint from the group.
I think the problem comes exactly from the fact that Vingegaard was the first rider to attack because he was allowed to do so 2 stages earlier.

Now, I'm not sure if Roglic was strong enough on that stage (I think he wasn't), but if he was the attacking rider and, say, UAE caught him then Vingegaard attacks and stays clear, nobody would say a thing because it would've been clear that Roglic wasn't strong enough.

Reactions: Sandisfan

I don't understand the issue. There was no more domestiques to work for Roglic, so the initial plan was over when Vallter was on the limit.

Visma used very well the numbers in the end to win the stage.

I don't doubt he was emotional. I just say it's a poor excuse for *** team cohesion. Similarly, the DSs bungled up by not flat out telling him no when he asked on the radio if he could attack.
Because it was tactically a good move! It's UAE who messed up. You expect them to chase, Roglic and Kuss sitting comfortably on the wheel. If anyone should have been told not to go solo, it was Fisher-Black. Completely pointless move.

Yes, and no one would complain if that had been the team plan that everyone agreed to.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
Yes, and no one would complain if that had been the team plan that everyone agreed to.
The plan may have changed during the race when things don't work well.

Vallter was on the limit, they didn't had more domestiques to do the work, so they changed the plan like and things worked very well. They used the numbers and won the stage. The only team who failed was UAE because they should try with almeida or ayuso respond to vingegaard's attack, or at least putting fisher black working in the peloton.

Visma finally learned after the Tour that sometimes things don't work like expected and it's necessary sometimes to change the plan during the race.

In the Tour de France on the stage of cambasque they didn’t change the plan and then in the end of the stage, they were punished for that.
When Vingegaard attacked on Tourmalet, he should had stopped his attack after 500 m, after seeing that he couldn't drop Pogacar. He pushed until the end of the Tourmalet and attacked again in cambasque when was evident that he didn't had the legs to drop pogacar on that day. It was a mistake specially when he had a good advantage of 1 minute after the previous stage. If Visma changed the plan and vingegaard stopped his attack after 500 m, he would conserve energy and probably wouldn't had lost 22 seconds to pogacar in cambasque.

Sometimes the teams need some flexibility and change the plan during the stages when things don't work like expected.

Reactions: RedheadDane
On the rest day, they knew they had the GC locked up. Kuss had a nice buffer, and only 7" separated Vingegaard and Rogla. They agreed to race for the overall.

Had they already decided then to hand Kuss the overall victory, it would matter less that Vingegaard attacked for the stage win. But when it happened, it was an attack on the GC. It ended the possibility of a fair fight to the end right there.

But at the end of the day, Roglič's exit might have been unavoidable. but it could have been handled in a more graceful way.
Maybe it has the advantage that (as his fans believe) Roglic has huge feelings of revenge against Visma, so he'll maybe attack a little more when we don't expect it. There were missed opportunities in the Tour he lost against Pogacar. If Vingegaard and Pogi have last year's form it won't suffice to sprint for bonus seconds, he'll need a different plan.

Maybe it has the advantage that (as his fans believe) Roglic has huge feelings of revenge against Visma, so he'll maybe attack a little more when we don't expect it. There were missed opportunities in the Tour he lost against Pogacar. If Vingegaard and Pogi have last year's form it won't suffice to sprint for bonus seconds, he'll need a different plan.
Wheelsuck someone who does take initiative, eh?

Haha, the Evenepoel fans are getting involved as well.
y2ln4i9s.gif

Seriously though, i hope Evenepoel keeps a low profile, so Roglic will need to find someone else to wheelsuck.

I don't understand the issue. There was no more domestiques to work for Roglic, so the initial plan was over when Vallter was on the limit.

Visma used very well the numbers in the end to win the stage.
Valter was on the limit precisely because the plan was changed, no one would expect from him to drill the climb all the way to the last km. They wanted to make it hard earlier and then Valter went full gas from the bottom, and lasted as long as he could.
Vingegaard ask for permition way before the climb, Niermann agreed and that's why they rode it like that.

Reactions: acm