Jonathan Breyne suicide attempt

Jan 20, 2013
238
0
0
It's been a while since I last heard of a rider taking such drastic action. I didn't see this on the clinic so here's a sloppy translation of the story as reported in Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet:

"Tinkoff-Saxo rider Michael Rogers has been much in focus after it was made public wednesday that he tested positive for clenbuterol.

Simultaneously, UCI sent out a press release stating that the 22 year old Belgian Jonathan Breyne also tested positive at Tour of Lake Taihu in China early November.

Michael Rogers reacted by sending out a press release while things almost went horribly wrong for the Belgian who was hospitalised in Gent on Thursday following an overdose.

The young Belgian, who signed with small Belgian team To Win-Josan, took the news badly. A few hours prior to his suicide attemt he spoke to Belgian newspaper Sudinfo:

-It seems like the world collapsed when I got the news. What have I done to deserve this? Nothing, absolutely nothing. I've never taken anything but how am I to prove this since it happened in China?

Breyne's dad Philippe told the paper that the 22 year old has not eaten since the UCI email appeared in his inbox.

His team for the coming season To Win-Josan is sad about recent events:

-Thursday evening I spoke to Jonathan Breyne's girlfriend on the phone. She told me the terrible news. Luckily, quick action was taken and Jonathan's life was saved. He had taken a large amount of pills but was found in time. I've heard that he will recover and be allowed to leave the hospital this weekend, says ds Willy Teirlinck to paper Het Nieuwsblad.

He strongly doubts Breyne took clenbuterol to enhance his performance, rather believing, as is the case with Michael Rogers, that chinese food is to blame.

-He was caught in a UCI event. Everyone knows there is doping testing and you don't gamble with your career like that. I hope he can recover mentally but I also believe that UCI needs to look into this case. Perhaps the positive sample really is down to eating clen-meat.
 
Tragic.

I genuinely believe this was a case of contamination (and think Rogers is as well).

But the warnings were in place. he may be able to argue and mitigate, but I think he is looking at 2 years myself.

And thats a horrible thing to be facing if genuinely innocent.
 
Dec 14, 2012
99
0
0
This absolutely sucks. I think both him and Rogers are contamination cases. But we have a case were we can finally catch a huge POS doper like Rogers and remove another toxic element from the sport.

Unfortunately, the UCI can't say, 'Ok Breyne, we believe you ate a contaminated food source but Rogers will get two years'. Wish that they could tough.

It will be interesting to see what happens.
 
Feb 15, 2011
1,306
0
0
Sad to hear about this.
Good to see that Rodgers might get taken down, but hopefully not at the expense of this young man's life. ****s depressing!
 
sideshadow said:
This absolutely sucks. I think both him and Rogers are contamination cases. But we have a case were we can finally catch a huge POS doper like Rogers and remove another toxic element from the sport.

Unfortunately, the UCI can't say, 'Ok Breyne, we believe you ate a contaminated food source but Rogers will get two years'. Wish that they could tough.

It will be interesting to see what happens.
The UCI won't do anything.

It's up to the in-country anti-doping bodies.

See F.Shleck.
 
Puts unrepentant doper Ryder Hesjedal in perspective. Doped for better half of a decade. Had JV put up the force field for two weeks and now it's business as usual.

Meanwhile a near neopro is battling to save his career.
 
Aug 7, 2010
1,247
0
0
Dazed and Confused said:
Sorry, this is a bit hysterical imo.

The positive test drove Breyne to attempt suicide.
At the risk of an unpopular comment, I would think that it is quite plausible that his positive was food related....and that a young kid could easily be traumatized by the posts he might read about himself....
 
Fortyninefourteen said:
At the risk of an unpopular comment, I would think that it is quite plausible that his positive was food related....and that a young kid could easily be traumatized by the posts he might read about himself....
Still the positive test which is the real trigger. The realization process?, Well, thats part of life imo.
 
Dec 13, 2012
1,859
0
0
If I was in the publice eye (in sports/music/enterntainment - whatever) last thing I would be doing is reading internet forums about myself - in good times and bad.
 
LaFlorecita said:
Benotti that's not cool :(
He obviously doesn't mean people should take their own lives.

For me, Breyne can "blame" lots of institutions if he wants, including WADA, race organizers, UCI, his boss and the people responsible for running the pending doping case. Arguing a bunch of internet users are partly responsible for the suicide attempt makes little sense imo.

Again, close people around him needs to discuss the issue and put things into perspective.
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
LaFlorecita said:
Benotti that's not cool :(
Dazed and Confused said:
He obviously doesn't mean people should take their own lives.

For me, Breyne can "blame" lots of institutions if he wants, including WADA, race organizers, UCI, his boss and the people responsible for running the pending doping case. Arguing a bunch of internet users are partly responsible for the suicide attempt makes little sense imo.

Again, close people around him needs to discuss the issue and put things into perspective.
D&C, bang on.

I dont want to influence anyone to commit suicide, but to blame the internet is very much missing the problem that Breyne is trying to apportion to others when in reality he should be looking at himself.
 
Jan 20, 2013
238
0
0
I did not even see him mentioned at all because Rogers totally stole the negative limelight.

But it clearly broke him to get a positive.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS