• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Hot Foss - The Tobias Foss Thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don' have any particular reason to not wish him all the best in whatever he decides next. He likely wants to (try) to move forward but likely feels opportunities for that at JV are sparse. If it's a good thing or not. Career vise. Without trying it out i guess you would never know for sure. And he wants to know for sure. And sometimes that is reason enough.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It's the ITT, not the road race champion, they won't be getting him with the rainbow jersey, and he's unlikely to win it again to boot.

It is on his resumé (palmares) and a fairly recent result that can be used as a negotiation tool to drive up his salary. It is how it works in any profession.

You will naturally want to be compensated, if you have performed well.

It is on his resumé (palmares) and a fairly recent result that can be used as a negotiation tool to drive up his salary. It is how it works in any profession.

You will naturally want to be compensated, if you have performed well.
When negotiating for a new contract you get paid not for past performance but future expectations. If your top results aren't expected to be repeated, why would they drive up your price? Foss hasn't just been inconsistent, he's extremely consistently been not good enough for the team role he actually wants.

You may argue that there's a marketing value to having a former champion in your team independent of the results they achieve with your team, but I think Foss is nowhere close to the calibre of rider where that starts playing a role.

When negotiating for a new contract you get paid not for past performance but future expectations. If your top results aren't expected to be repeated, why would they drive up your price? Foss hasn't just been inconsistent, he's extremely consistently been not good enough for the team role he actually wants.

You may argue that there's a marketing value to having a former champion in your team independent of the results they achieve with your team, but I think Foss is nowhere close to the calibre of rider where that starts playing a role.

I think it is a mix of both when negotiating for a salary. Past performances and future expectations. Of course it matters what you have done in the past! Experience and results to show for it.

Why would they drive up the price? Of course the rider and agent will drive it up as far as they can. Why would they lowball themselves? Do you do that when you are negotiating for your salary?

If many teams are interested in contracting him, the better it is. Being in high demand is positive and will drive up the price. A team who is really interested may even overbid, if they really want to sign him. If that is a mistake on their part only the future will tell.

• Wow
GLNZ6OxWwAAyXrz

I think it was really well ridden today from Foss eventhough he lost the lead. Probably the best climbing he has done at least in the past 2 seasons if not even since the 2021 Giro.
I'd say much better than the 2021 Giro.
Back then he was struggling to follow and only got a top 10 because nobody else cared about that.
Today he was setting the pace on the last climbs and still finished 3rd.

Probably the weather conditions helped him, but he surprised me today.

Why would it be cool if he finished 19th? Just genuinely curious here if I missed something.
Well, first of all you have to consider how starved of success in GT GCs that Norway and Sweden have been historically except for certain exceptions like Sweden in the 70s and early 80s and also recently for Norway with some sporadic top 10s like Hagen, Foss and Leknesund.

Of course I would prefer if he could come top 10 and 12th would be a lot better than 19th but if his main role will be as a domestique then that seems less likely. So if he could be top 20 then that would still show that he has the capacity to be up there if he got the chance to ride more freely and also it shows a willingness to fight for GC and learn for the future rather than being someone who is happy to fall back into the gruppetto when they are done for the day.

This is what I don't like with Uno-Xs approach for the Tour which I hear they will repeat this year as well. They will deliberately lose time on certain stages just to be given room to go into breaks in order to fight for stage wins. Surely there is room for that while still having a captain that tries to ride for GC as well, if for nothing else that the team and best riders need to learn how to ride as GC riders if they ever want to have a chance of cracking the top 10 in the Tour for example.