• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Hot Foss - The Tobias Foss Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Kruijsvikj best ITT result was losing to a pro conti rider
His best ITT is probavly Torrelavega against peak Dennis who would steamroll Innsbruck a few days later. Besides, Kruijswijk rode for an awful team for the majority of his career. Rabojumbo from 2010 - 2020 and Jumbo-Visma today are totally different, with the former being sheer incompetence.

Foss has a top notch organisation and structure behind him, with access to the best bikes and materials, food coaching, training schemes. Kruijswijk did not, yet their ITT results and especially rider profiles are awfully similar, other than today's result.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Betting on your friend/relative/whatever to win should never be a problem IMO.
You still have access to inside infomation and can even enable an athlete to bet on himself by proxy. You can get a pretty big edge just based on knowledge of form/injury.

It's a pretty basic ethical no go, and very similar to insider trading.

Doesn't mean this case is foul play, but I still find it pretty stupid to do.

You still have access to inside infomation and can even enable an athlete to bet on himself by proxy. You can get a pretty big edge just based on knowledge of form/injury.

It's a pretty basic ethical no go, and very similar to insider trading.

betting on yourself to win? you still have to go out there and perform. you cannot tank it, so not unethical. just optimistic, confident.

betting to finish below 5th or something means you can tank it.

betting on someone else to lose might be the result of insider info again, so no good.

don't see any problem at all with betting on yourself to do really well.

Honestly, in this case, even if the more expected result had occured - with Ganna winning - and it afterwards had been revealed that Foss' father had actually betted on Ganna, against his own son, I hardly think anyone would have claimed it was matchfixing.

betting on yourself to win? you still have to go out there and perform. you cannot tank it, so not unethical. just optimistic, confident.

betting to finish below 5th or something means you can tank it.

betting on someone else to lose might be the result of insider info again, so no good.

don't see any problem at all with betting on yourself to do really well.
You can tank your own odds by tanking events beforehand. You can bet your own odds when the market thinks you're injured but you know you're completely healthy. You can fake sickness, injury. It is stupid easy to scam people.

I was very impressed by Foss's ride to win the WC ITT.

I think many of us saw how strong he was in the Canadian WT races, but never expected this. Kudos to him and his team. I wish him well in the future.

New year, new thread title.

Tobias Foss will start his season in Algarve tomorrow. The route should suit him if he's in decent shape. He finished 6th last year, despite the crash he had with Higuíta on Alto da Fóia. Hopefully he'll avoid that this time around.

It seems certain that he will be leaving JV at the end of the year, so results will matter if he wants to get a big contract somewhere else. Uno-X is of course a likely option, but other teams might also be interested.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS