• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Just when you think that it could not get more farcical

Mar 3, 2009
377
0
0
Visit site
Uncertain

G'day BroDeal,

Reading your post title I was starting to think you'd created a post about your post titles :)

I know you're all about grabbing attention, but perhaps you could include something that indicates what the hell you're referring to in future?

Cheers
Greg Johnson
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Greg Johnson said:
G'day BroDeal,

Reading your post title I was starting to think you'd created a post about your post titles :)

I know you're all about grabbing attention, but perhaps you could include something that indicates what the hell you're referring to in future?

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Hey Greg, what the hell are you talking about? Just because the title was over your head does not mean you gotta go all postal about it.
 
Mar 10, 2009
6,158
1
0
Visit site
Greg Johnson said:
G'day BroDeal,

Reading your post title I was starting to think you'd created a post about your post titles :)

I know you're all about grabbing attention, but perhaps you could include something that indicates what the hell you're referring to in future?

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Yea, Greg. Maybe he could use titles like CN does: American peloton bids adieu to Armstrong at Nature Valley Grand Prix

That is not leading people to think its about Lance right? :rolleyes:

His titles are fine as is, or at least they are on par with CN story titles, so he's learning from CN and keeping with the site's M.O., at least he uses proper grammar :D
 
Mar 10, 2009
6,158
1
0
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The professional riders association is planning on suing Kohl for saying that the whole top ten of the TdF could have tested positive.

Way to build that trust with the fans, Vasseur.

Back to the original thread and proper title.

I want Vasseur to sue Kohl! I just want Kohl to then list out why he knows his information of the top 10. Humm... who else was borrowing the centrifuge :D. That case won't ever hit a real court unless its the Omerta court.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Kennf1 said:
No, it gets better. Kohl is now saying he was misquoted, and is going to sue L'Equipe.

Death threats will do that to a guy......
 
Mar 16, 2009
176
0
0
Visit site
Greg Johnson said:
G'day BroDeal,

Reading your post title I was starting to think you'd created a post about your post titles :)

I know you're all about grabbing attention, but perhaps you could include something that indicates what the hell you're referring to in future?

Cheers
Greg Johnson

I agree. You knobs are getting old. Post a link so we can have a discussion about whatever it is you are talking about. The rest of you are like flies to poo on this stuff.
 
Mar 19, 2009
1,311
0
0
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Yea, Greg. Maybe he could use titles like CN does: American peloton bids adieu to Armstrong at Nature Valley Grand Prix

That is not leading people to think its about Lance right? :rolleyes:

His titles are fine as is, or at least they are on par with CN story titles, so he's learning from CN and keeping with the site's M.O., at least he uses proper grammar :D

LOL good point. :)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Snake8 said:
I agree. You knobs are getting old. Post a link so we can have a discussion about whatever it is you are talking about. The rest of you are like flies to poo on this stuff.

What, is Google a new thing to you or something?
 
Snake8 said:
I agree. You knobs are getting old. Post a link so we can have a discussion about whatever it is you are talking about.

The first sentence pretty much said it all.

Greg Johnson has a point about titles, but not for the reason he stated. Not having clear titles makes it more likely that there will be multiple threads on the same topic.
 
Mar 3, 2009
377
0
0
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Hey Greg, what the hell are you talking about? Just because the title was over your head does not mean you gotta go all postal about it.

Thoughtforfood - it didn't go over my head at all, I'm just suggesting if you indicate what the farcical thing you're planning on addressing is it might appeal to more readers. Believe it or not, there's a large number of people on these forums who aren't 'part of the furniture' when it comes to using forums like y'all are.

We'd like to make it as easy as possible for said section of readership to get involved. Given cycling's a team sport and it's all about getting out there and amongst it, we'd like people to feel the same in here.

Cheers
Greg Johnson
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Greg Johnson said:
Thoughtforfood - it didn't go over my head at all, I'm just suggesting if you indicate what the farcical thing you're planning on addressing is it might appeal to more readers. Believe it or not, there's a large number of people on these forums who aren't 'part of the furniture' when it comes to using forums like y'all are.

We'd like to make it as easy as possible for said section of readership to get involved. Given cycling's a team sport and it's all about getting out there and amongst it, we'd like people to feel the same in here.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Mixed metaphors.....I am going to have to think of how I can combine being a piece of furniture and part of a cycling team at the same time.......

Maybe this is me:
furniture%2Bon%2Bbike.jpg


Better watch out team, I'm gonna get out of control on the downhills.....

I do understand now what you are saying. It was the "hell" that gave me that twinge to respond like a smart ***.
 
Mar 10, 2009
6,158
1
0
Visit site
Greg Johnson said:
Believe it or not, there's a large number of people on these forums who aren't 'part of the furniture' when it comes to using forums like y'all are.

We'd like to make it as easy as possible for said section of readership to get involved. Given cycling's a team sport and it's all about getting out there and amongst it, we'd like people to feel the same in here.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Well maybe you guys (mods) should do like Versus does in its coverage every single year and write up a cheat sheet on what it is we're writing about so the section of readership needing the help gets it. You know like where they get a bike and point at the wheel and say "this is the wheel", then they show the pack and say "they call this the peleton", point at the countless ex-pro's still young enough to race and say "this is the OP fallout, OP referrers to a Spanish investigation on organized doping which stands for Operacion Puerto", etc.

At it is this forum has gone from its kindergarten beginning to PhD in a matter of months, I do feel for any noobie because its a steep learning curve, but I'm not going to write up basically the years of reading this site (main site) and countless magazines and foreign websites to gather the needed info.

Good luck with that! :)
 
Mar 3, 2009
377
0
0
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
It was the "hell" that gave me that twinge to respond like a smart ***.

That's a cracker of a photo! That makes sense - probably a difference in language usage, so my mistake there. Substitute it with 'heck', 'on earth' etc. as required.

BroDeal said:
That is another good argument.

Despite turning out that way, it wasn't supposed to be an argument! :D It really was just a nudge.

ElChingon - It's not a bad idea, actually, but one that will require an investment of a fair bit of time. I'll keep in in mind for a post-Tour de France, post-new website launch task.

Cheers
Greg Johnson
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
BroDeal said:
The professional riders association is planning on suing Kohl for saying that the whole top ten of the TdF could have tested positive.

Way to build that trust with the fans, Vasseur.

well to get the thread back on topic, after it was blatently derailed by a member of the editorial staff.. ;) lol...

As far as the PRA go, youve got to assume they have no choice. if kohl has said the top ten of the tdf could have been positive that is basically accusing all top ten riders personally of doping, which in there eyes is slanderous, so the PRA actually has no choice but to defend the rights of its members (and therefore in a court it would be up to kohl to prove those ten where doping)

as for the thread.. i think the words Proffesional riders assoc. or even Kohl in the title would maybe have been a good idea.. :) that said, no reason why this couldnt have just been discussed in the existing khol thread.. i think some people just like seeing their name as topic starter..
 
Mar 3, 2009
377
0
0
Visit site
dimspace said:
well to get the thread back on topic, after it was blatently derailed by a member of the editorial staff.. ;) lol...

Yeah...I noted I was in violation of forum rules too, but was hoping nobody else would :)


dimspace said:
As far as the PRA go, youve got to assume they have no choice. if kohl has said the top ten of the tdf could have been positive that is basically accusing all top ten riders personally of doping, which in there eyes is slanderous, so the PRA actually has no choice but to defend the rights of its members (and therefore in a court it would be up to kohl to prove those ten where doping)

Sounds fair to me. It's an unfortunate situation and one wishes it wasn't so, but it is. The PRA probably needs to do things like this to assert itself and gain some power of its own as well. Currently organisers and the governing bodies hold all the cards - it's not like in Formula One where if Mark Webber comes to Max Mosley and says 'the athletes want this to change', they are taken seriously and it more often than not will change.

dimspace said:
i think some people just like seeing their name as topic starter..

Not saying this is an example of that - as there's several different aspects to a story as it develops and each can deserve its own area - but certainly in general terms I have seen users who do enjoy starting a thread for no other reason than having started a thread. I remember one person had something like 40 posts to their user name - 39 of which were new threads.

Cheers
Greg Johnson
 
Mar 10, 2009
6,158
1
0
Visit site
Greg Johnson said:
Not saying this is an example of that - as there's several different aspects to a story as it develops and each can deserve its own area - but certainly in general terms I have seen users who do enjoy starting a thread for no other reason than having started a thread. I remember one person had something like 40 posts to their user name - 39 of which were new threads.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Isn't that where moderators come in and merge threads, delete threads and do moderator type tasks like that? Maybe?
 
I'm still completely baffled by this. If the UCI were serious, here is what they would do:

Call out Kohl.

Make a statement saying "If what you say is true Bernard, then answer these questions: Where did you get the doping products? Who supplied them? Who knew you were doping? Did your team know? Other riders? Which doctors treated you? Who else do you know is doping? How do you know? What methods were used to cheat doping? How did you learn about these methods?"

Instead, they have no interest. No interest at all in using this information to actually stop doping. They'd rather Kohl just go away, banish him into oblivion, and allow the charade to continue. It is a farce, an absolute farce. Theater of the absurd, and we're in the front row.

Yes, the thread could have used a better title. Next time.
 
dimspace said:
as for the thread.. i think the words Proffesional riders assoc. or even Kohl in the title would maybe have been a good idea.. :) that said, no reason why this couldnt have just been discussed in the existing khol thread.. i think some people just like seeing their name as topic starter..

I think that is a matter of style. I personally prefer shorter threads on specific, small subjects. The Kohl thread has nearly three hundred posts. WIth the forum default settings that is almost thirty pages. I have never liked forums that have a convention of keeping threads around for months or even years. Eventually they have a thousand plus posts, they are intimidating to anyone who wants to jump into the middle of a conversation, and they often go off on tangents or get mired in tiffs between members.
 
Mar 10, 2009
6,158
1
0
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I'm still completely baffled by this. If the UCI were serious, here is what they would do:

Call out Kohl.

Make a statement saying "If what you say is true Bernard, then answer these questions: Where did you get the doping products? Who supplied them? Who knew you were doping? Did your team know? Other riders? Which doctors treated you? Who else do you know is doping? How do you know? What methods were used to cheat doping? How did you learn about these methods?"

Instead, they have no interest. No interest at all in using this information to actually stop doping. They'd rather Kohl just go away, banish him into oblivion, and allow the charade to continue. It is a farce, an absolute farce. Theater of the absurd, and we're in the front row.

Yes, the thread could have used a better title. Next time.

Not only Kohl but hell can't anyone rough up Fuentes and get the lookup table for the blood bags while we're at it? If Fuentes uses his medical card then why not his sister or another worker in the lab that isn't a doctor. The info is out there and it falls flat on the floor :mad: