• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kashechkin needs €15 million for second Kazakh cycling team

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Kashechkin needs €15 million for second Kazakh cycling team

Second Kazakh team on the way?

This bodes well for cycling...

Oh dear :eek:
----------------------------------------------------------
http://en.tengrinews.kz/sport/Kashechkin-needs-15-million-for-second-Kazakh-cycling-team-256848/

famous Kazakh cyclist Andrey Kashechkin has declared that Kazakhstan needs one more cycling team and that it will cost 15 million euros, Tengrinews reports.
"I think that a second, alternative cycling team needs to be created in our country,” Kashechkin said. “A very important point is that my goal is not to just create a cycling team, I want to target the young people and their education. This is a normal practice when a country has two cycling teams. Today, there are two sponsors who are willing to support me, but this is not enough.”

“I believe it is no secret that a Pro Tour team costs 15 million euro. This includes the license. Everyone understands that this is a big structure that consists of 30 athletes and 30 staff members. Compared to other sports, one can say this is nothing at all," the cyclist said.

Kashechkin’s contract with Astana Pro Team ended in 2013. The team manager then advised the athlete to search for another cycling team since Kashechkin retired from Tour de France citing an illness. Giuseppe Martinelli said that all of the cyclist’s tests were normal. The sports director added that Andrey Kashechkin and Astana had never been able to reach an understanding.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Doubt this will happen.

Oil prices have been hammered lately. The two largest oil projects in the country are a mess. massive cost over runs and delays.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Doubt this will happen.

Oil prices have been hammered lately. The two largest oil projects in the country are a mess. massive cost over runs and delays.

Well..
Still only takes one Garch or a gassed up guy to bite the bait..
I'am sure Tinkov is a great inspiration to some wannabies...

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
mrhender said:
Well..
Still only takes one Garch to bite the bait..
I'am sure Tinkov is a great inspiration to some wannabies...

Tinkov is a unique guy. He is self made (beer, banking) Not many rich folk in Astana that are not connected to Natural Resources. With the Russian food embargo there are some cattle guys making money but few that can drop 15 million a year on a bike team

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Tinkov is a unique guy. He is self made (beer, banking) Not many rich folk in Astana that are not connected to Natural Resources. With the Russian food embargo there are some cattle guys making money but few that can drop 15 million a year on a bike team

Ahh -too much reason RR..
Here me was hoping for Astana "version two" unfolding ;)

Just kidding..

You are most likely right..
And I posted it more as an absurdity then a probability :)

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I had a vision last night...

Astana is going to fold, otherwise everybody will look stupid and powerless..
But the UCI needs the sport to grow, not shrink -right..?

So this may be the perfect solution.
All that is needed is the money behind Astana to channel through to this team.
(and some sweet-talking of the UCI of course...)

With rumors of Katusha folding after next year, and Astana on the down -they need to do something to keep up the eastern-european money-flow...
(Tinkoff is great, but his team is not that eastern-european, and why play only on one horse who can dissappear over night)...

So why not, Kash can go from Vino-light -to Vaughters-light...

Everybody wins....!

It is of course also possible that Kash will only serve as Vino's suckpuppet for a few years.. Until Vino's is forgiven again.. Medvedev style!!! :eek:

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
mrhender said:
With rumors of Katusha folding after next year,

I have heard these rumors but have not seen anything official. If anything Katusha has far more exposure to political and Oil price risk then Astana.

Kazakhstan's break even strike price for Oil is one of the lowest, about $65 per barrel. Russia's is one one of the highest, $107 for next year. With Oil currently at $66 Russia will be running a serious deficit. Financing a big cycling team might not make the cut.

In addition there are political/financial risks for some of Katusha's principles. Sergey Chemezov, Chairman of Russian Cycling Federation and on the board of the Katusha team, has been put on the sanctions list. Marakov is not on it for now but his company has had some challenges in the current environment.

In addition to Katusha and Astana's issues BMC also has been given notice but their sugar daddy. They are currently searching for a title sponsor as Andy Rihs has told them they need to be self sufficient after the 2015 season

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
I have heard these rumors but have not seen anything official. If anything Katusha has far more exposure to political and Oil price risk then Astana.

Kazakhstan's break even strike price for Oil is one of the lowest, about $65 per barrel. Russia's is one one of the highest, $107 for next year. With Oil currently at $66 Russia will be running a serious deficit. Financing a big cycling team might not make the cut.

In addition there are political/financial risks for some of Katusha's principles. Sergey Chemezov, Chairman of Russian Cycling Federation and on the board of the Katusha team, has been put on the sanctions list. Marakov is not on it for now but his company has had some challenges in the current environment.

In addition to Katusha and Astana's issues BMC also has been given notice but their sugar daddy. They are currently searching for a title sponsor as Andy Rihs has told them they need to be self sufficient after the 2015 season

http://rsport.ru/interview/20141202/792140485.html
http://www.procycling.no/2015-kan-vaere-katjusjas-siste-ar/ (procycling.no reads the rsport.ru article)

Google translate:
- In "Katyusha" license expires in 2015. In 2016 will need to get a new one. Whether or not within the plans and whether the "Katyusha" to apply for license renewal in the World Tour?

Makarov: - Team "Katyusha" six years old. According to human laws is not enough, for the team is a mature age. A lot depends on the season of 2015, and a decision on applying for license renewal in the World Tour will be made on the basis of the performance of "Katyusha" in the first half of 2015. The same answer I can give to "Rusvelo."

TRENDING THREADS