• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kolobnev positive

Hydrochlorothiazide, abbreviated HCTZ, HCT, or HZT, is a first-line diuretic drug of the thiazide class that acts by inhibiting the kidneys' ability to retain water. This reduces the volume of the blood, decreasing blood return to the heart and thus cardiac output and, by other mechanisms, is believed to lower peripheral vascular resistance. Hydrochlorothiazide is a calcium-sparing diuretic, meaning it can help the body get rid of excess water while still keeping calcium.

so how does it help the doper?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
The UCI have put out a strange press release:

Earlier today, the UCI advised the Russian rider Alexandr Kolobnev of an Adverse Analytical Finding (presence of Hydrochlorothiazide based on the report from the WADA accredited laboratory in Châtenay-Malabry) in the urine sample collected from him at an in competition test at the Tour de France on 6 July 2011. Mr. Kolobnev has the right to request and attend the analysis of his B sample.

The UCI Anti-Doping Rules do not provide for a provisional suspension given the nature of the substance, which is a specified substance.

However the UCI is confident that his team will take the necessary steps to enable the Tour de France to continue in serenity and to ensure that their rider has the opportunity to properly prepare his defense in particular within the legal timeline, which allows four days for him to have his B sample analyzed.

Under the World Anti-Doping Code and the UCI Anti-Doping Rules, the UCI is unable to provide any additional information at this time.

UCI Communications Services

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
TourOfSardinia said:
Hydrochlorothiazide, abbreviated HCTZ, HCT, or HZT, is a first-line diuretic drug of the thiazide class that acts by inhibiting the kidneys' ability to retain water. This reduces the volume of the blood, decreasing blood return to the heart and thus cardiac output and, by other mechanisms, is believed to lower peripheral vascular resistance. Hydrochlorothiazide is a calcium-sparing diuretic, meaning it can help the body get rid of excess water while still keeping calcium.

so how does it help the doper?

From this website:
The use of a diuretic can mask the use of anabolic steroids, stimulants, cannabis or other banned substances. The use of masking agents is "nothing new - it has been used for many years by sportsmen wishing to conceal their steroid use."

"It inhibits the excretion of waste material that indicates steroid use."
Thus, for a while after diuretic use, no anabolic steroid will be found in the urine of the steroid user.

Diuretics are also misused for quick weight loss, particularly in sports with weight categories like boxing.

It does have a legitimate medical use, but because of its misuse by many sportsmen and women, it has been listed as a banned substance, according to Dr Erasmus.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
According to the CN article L'Equipe reported the news before the rider was even informed. Typical BS from AFLD, that lab is a disgrace.

There is nothing in the l"Equipe article that indicates this.

classicomano said:
I see my post didnt ooze enough sarcasm, sorry for that.
Haha, sorry. Your post did have enough sarcasm and I'm the one to blame here, but you're new and it's July, you understand :p

edit: by the way, is the UCI saying they can't kick Kolobnev out? Is this going to be similar to Mosquera's case?

Race Radio said:

The first version of the article posted said the rider will be informed in minutes. From this and then the CN translation I assumed he was not notified. It has since been updated. In fact I believe it now says he has been dismissed from the tour.

Katusha has the 5x salary fine for a positive I believe, sounds like a big fine is in order.

Hrotha, it seem from whats being reported the UCI can't kick him from the tour. They have asked the team to respect the sport and tour and retire him voluntarily. The updated L'Equipe article suggests he's left the tour. Seems they find out first with their ASO connection.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
That's a tough drug to use as a masking agent! I'm sure it performs that duty well. However, I took HCT for quite some time for mild hypertension and the diuretic impacts were significant. I was taking the smallest possible dose (10mg?) and it limited my performance on the bike noticeably.

Now, if I'd offset that with some EPO? I'm sure I'd come out ahead. But I'd sure prefer a masking agent that wasn't so darn performance-diminishing.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Race your wrong on this one. Originally the article read like and even said the rider was going to be notified in minutes meaning the article was written and the rider did not know yet. Somehow the article does not read that way now,,,,it was changed.

TRENDING THREADS