• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

LA-MSS Team Doc given ten years

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
If he is a real doctor, they should have withdrawn his medical license.

+1

Along with banning him from working in cycling again, taking his medical license seems like an appropriate punishment. Since he's violating all kind of medical ethics, he shouldn't be practicing in any form on any patients. Cannot be trusted to provide proper care.

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
jonjungel said:
That is outside the jurisdiction of Portugese Cycling. I have no idea if he's done anything illegal wrt. Portugese law.

That's outside the jurisdiction of the Portuguese law, as the doctor is Spanish (wow, a big surprise, eh?), so only the Spanish justice can withdraw his medical license, and that's unlikely.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
How many things really need to be on a black list? The UCI should publish a list of banned substances and doctors, If you hold a pro license you need to hand the list to any hospital or doctor you go to for treatment. Portugal and Spain have better things to do with their courts and money. The list of dirty doctors can't be but a couple hundred names.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
jonjungel said:
That is outside the jurisdiction of Portugese Cycling. I have no idea if he's done anything illegal wrt. Portugese law.

I always thought licensing was regulated by the profession of medical practitioners themselves, ie a (state) medical board. Criminal investigations and punishments would only be required if he violated criminal law, but a medical board - perceived as a regulatory institution - could still revoke his license for lesser infractions/violations if he receives a 'fair trial'.

Violations could thus involve unprofessional, improper, incompetent (but also unlawful) practice of medicine, as defined by their own standards.

I don't know if their own regulations contain provisions that are applicable to doping doctors in general and more specifically, provisions that were applicable in this case.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Well given that doping is illegal in a country like France, and a French doctor was caught giving PEDS to an athlete on French soil, would he run the risk of losing his medical licence?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Well given that doping is illegal in a country like France, and a French doctor was caught giving PEDS to an athlete on French soil, would he run the risk of losing his medical licence?

I would say - supporting my first post - that when a doctor has violated criminal law, a medical board would surely have a good reason to revoke his license...

I actually wonder if this happens, when it happens, and if not, why it doesn't happen? Anyone any insights on how this really works? I mean, don't some doctors get suspended for less?

On the other hand, or all 'doctors' involved actually medical doctors? But if not, then they would be violating some laws as well ie, practicing medicine without the proper license...

TRENDING THREADS