• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance rakes in $2 mil for Down Under

A

Anonymous

why am i not surprised.. so unsurprised i cant really even be bothered to do anything more than shrug my shoulders.

A

Anonymous

WHAT?!?!

I thought Lance was doing all he could for the cancer community?

I'm crushed and completely shocked. SHOCKED!

A

Anonymous

El Pistolero said:
Dumb organizers lol. I didn't watch the Tour Down Under, but I'm guessing Armstrong stayed invisible in the peloton throughout the race.

Well, at least he didn't fuss it up down under. He was paid $1,000,000 to appear at the Giro, hid in the group only to lead a rider protest on a "dangerous" stage.

I'm guessing Angelo was not too happy with LA.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
“I am essentially racing for free. No salary. No bonus. Nothing on the line.… This one’s on the house. And you know what? At the end of the day, I don’t need money.… Not only will I be fine, my kids will be fine, my grandkids will be fine.”

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
2beeDammed said:
Victoria paid more than that to get Tiger Woods here, I'd have rather they blew the cash on cycling like SA.

However, at least Woods performed. El Pistolero was correct. While I couldn't get to SA for the race, Pharmstrong really did nothing to excite the event, others did plenty (and it was even obvious on a Pharmstrong biased SBS TV Coverage).

klmorgan said:
However, at least Woods performed. El Pistolero was correct. While I couldn't get to SA for the race, Pharmstrong really did nothing to excite the event, others did plenty (and it was even obvious on a Pharmstrong biased SBS TV Coverage).

Not sure what race you were watching, but as a local:

He led several laps of the Proluge which he had no chance of winning, but proved great promotion for his new team.

Broke away into strong headwind on the Goolwa stage only to be caught at the railway line on entrance into Goolwa.

there was 10,000 at the twitter ride.

I think he is work the $2M for the publicity he generates

regards

Hugh

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
“I am essentially racing for free. No salary. No bonus. Nothing on the line.… This one’s on the house. And you know what? At the end of the day, I don’t need money.… Not only will I be fine, my kids will be fine, my grandkids will be fine.”

By the time Lance splits the money with Livestrong, pays all of his expenses, pays all of his agents/cooks/accountants/mechanics/etc/etc/etc, then pays his taxes - he is essentially racing for free. Remember, Lance lives in a world where a couple hundred thousand dollars IS essentially "for free". One man's $50 prime is another man's couple hunded thou. peanuts. chump change.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
By the time Lance splits the money with Livestrong, pays all of his expenses, pays all of his agents/cooks/accountants/mechanics/etc/etc/etc, then pays his taxes - he is essentially racing for free. Remember, Lance lives in a world where a couple hundred thousand dollars IS essentially "for free". One man's $50 prime is another man's couple hunded thou. peanuts. chump change.

Got a link for that "Splits his money with livestrong" claim or is this just another Polish Trollvention?

A

Anonymous

Polish said:

Kinda like a comparison of an effective charity and one that enriches the principal.

That Lance fella is worth worshiping, no doubt.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Lance still does more for American cycling than any other person. I believe the Livestrong organization does a lot of good.

If anyone has a problem with the 2 million dollar donation made to Lance and his organization that is their problem.

Scott SoCal said:
Well, at least he didn't fuss it up down under. He was paid $1,000,000 to appear at the Giro, hid in the group only to lead a rider protest on a "dangerous" stage.

I'm guessing Angelo was not too happy with LA.

I believe his quote was something to the effect of 'I do not like to talk about riders who have disappointed me, in the same way that I do not like to talk about women that have spurned me'. Whatever the exact phrasing was, it was my favourite quote of last year.

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Dumb organizers lol. I didn't watch the Tour Down Under, but I'm guessing Armstrong stayed invisible in the peloton throughout the race.

He was invisible for all the race bar one failed break away attempt. The only other thing he did was get like 10 000 ppl to ride with him before the race.

Other than that most Australians have no idea about cycling and Armstrong is the only person they have heard of because of his Tour success. They can advertise he is going down there and might get a few more people to watch the race. I think its a waste of money tbh, but all state governments here waist money so meh.

$2M for an over the hill doper is a stupid waste of money. A better way to spend the money would be to offer $1M for first place, $500K for 2nd, $300K for third, and a couple hundred split for stage wins. Design a challenging course and top talent would show up to race seriously because the prize money would be huge compared to most other races. The TdF only gives 450 thousand euro to the winner for three weeks of racing.

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site
All other comments about Armstrong aside, I like how the article tries to say that South Australia misses out on his Livestrong funding.

Didn't he open up a Livestrong sponsored clinic their last year?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
$2M for an over the hill doper is a stupid waste of money. A better way to spend the money would be to offer $1M for first place, $500K for 2nd, and $300K for third. Design a challenging course and top talent would show up to race seriously because the prize money would be huge compared to most other races.

- In the 2009 tdu, I understood why they paid him the money.
- In the 2010 tdu, I thought it was odd but I guess it would give people who wanted to go see him after last years success.
- Now in 2011? I really don't understand it. Crowds won't flourish because Lance is coming back for the 3rd time in a row. The people who saw him would of already gone to SA.

Brodeal, the organisers will never make a challenging course because it is January.

Supposedly the organisers are trying to get Andy Schleck.

El Pistolero said:

You are wrong. In the Down Under Classic which was a fast criterium around adelaide he was in the main breakaway. And in another stage he broke away near the finish with Sebastien Roessler.

TRENDING THREADS