• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Laurent Jalabert is full of s**t

May 27, 2012
Visit site
I always had respect for the guy as a rider, but this statement:

Seems legit...:rolleyes:

free-candy-van.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
How easily some posters are deceived.

Just reading his employment history should be enough for anyone (in the clinic) or are some still believing in Santa Claus :rolleyes:

That being said at least Jaja raced year round and was an animator at the races and didn't just show up to train for le Tour. As for Doping, well he was the Number One ranked rider for repeated years against whom?

Dot, Dot, Dot, Dot, Dot, Dot.... :D

ElChingon said:
How easily some posters are deceived.

Just reading his employment history should be enough for anyone (in the clinic) or are some still believing in Santa Claus :rolleyes:

That being said at least Jaja raced year round and was an animator at the races and didn't just show up to train for le Tour. As for Doping, well he was the Number One ranked rider for repeated years against whom?

Dot, Dot, Dot, Dot, Dot, Dot.... :D

Sella used to animate races, now he is just a clown on two wheels.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Hey, what's not to believe? Magical recovery therapy that turns you from a field sprinter and gruppetto rider to winning a GT? Makes total sense to me.

I do think CN did a reasonable job of point out the ridiculousness of his comments, so I'm not sure why they're to blame?? I'm more bothered by the blog-like linguistic skills exhibited by the author than I am the content.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
This French Senate hearing is a joke.

Jalabert's testimony is released publicly and he does it tip-toeing around the questions.

Yet Didier Deschamps does his one behind closed doors and won't say if he was questioned about France's World Cup win in 1998. Obviously they don't want this to come out and are protecting this from being exposed to the public.

gooner said:

Jalabert's testimony is released publicly and he does it tip-toeing around the questions.

Yet Didier Deschamps does his one behind closed doors and won't say if he was questioned about France's World Cup win in 1998. Obviously they don't want this to come out and are protecting this from being exposed to the public.

Apparently he has been studying the tapes of the Armstrong deposition.

Thank goodness for Youtube.

Dave.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know if he could do jail time in France if he confesses? French laws are quite tough on this but i do not know if he may be pinched retro-actively? If that is the case, this would explain the tip toeing around the matter

Roude Leiw said:
Does anyone know if he could do jail time in France if he confesses? French laws are quite tough on this but i do not know if he may be pinched retro-actively? If that is the case, this would explain the tip toeing around the matter

Come on, you can't be serious. How could he be condemned under a law that didn't exist at the time?
He has said repeatedly that he does not want his image to be tarnished in the eyes of his children.

gooner said:

Too early to tell if the hearings are a joke. Or the joke was on Philippe Gaumont!

The only way they could get Deschamps to agree to testify was behind closed doors.

Le breton said:
Come on, you can't be serious. How could he be condemned under a law that didn't exist at the time?
He has said repeatedly that he does not want his image to be tarnished in the eyes of his children.

Aspiring pro-cyclist should have children as soon as they reach 18, then they will never dope. :p

Le breton said:
Too early to tell if the hearings are a joke. Or the joke was on Philippe Gaumont!

The only way they could get Deschamps to agree to testify was behind closed doors.

What is this about Deschamps and 98? I'm french and I must have missed this in the news?

Edit: a quick google enlightened me. You can't complain too much when a country is prepared to question their greatest sporting achievement ( culturally ), even if it goes nowhere in the end.
I personally get the feeling here in the UK that the brits would never even dare question any winning performance from their teams for example

May 26, 2009
Visit site
JaJa is being JaJa, a product of his times. I don't understand the shock and outrage, his position has been crystal clear from when he was a cyclist.

But once again I notice something at this forum that annoys me. France questions his athletes and it's still not enough. An athlete only agrees to speak behind closed doors (about something 15 years ago) and somehow this hearing is a joke.

Well, considering the official outrage about Rabo, the senate hearings into Carl Lewis were wideopen and the Inquiries into Linford Christie led to huge judicial action it certainly seems that once again the Latin countries are so much more corrupt :rolleyes:

Excuse me for being sick and tired of this nonsense. Instead of applauding France to act people here expect things which are way out of legal bounds. It's about as constructive as a baby throwing out it's toys out of the pram.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Le breton said:

I am not trying to defend Jalabert, I try to understand why someone i consider as one of the more intelligent top sportsmen is dancing around the issue which is crystal clear to everybody interested in the sport. Can't be sponsorship contracts, because i do not think that he has major ones. I do not think that french tv will fire him from his consulting job where he replaced Fignon who was still consultant after publishing his memoirs for confessing. So why does he dance around the issue?

My opinion is that Jalabert was connected to Fuentes in 2001-2002, so a full confession would be far more serious than Fignon admitting using amphetamines or corticoids and I don't think he could stay as TV commentator.

About Jaja there's also a strong rumour in the triathlete's world, saying he had a very suspicious control (maybe something like Armstrong's TdS 2001, consistent with EPO use but under the threshold) and was told by the federation to calm down on PED.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Kind of what happens when you are part of a sport that blackballs people that confess rather than use their knowledge to bring about change.

TRENDING THREADS