Leaders for the GTs of 2017

Let's make a list for full overview.

Bora
Giro: Majka / Tour: König / Vuelta: Majka

Astana
Giro: Aru / Tour: Fuglsang/Lopéz / Vuelta: Aru

BMC
Giro: Tejay? / Tour: Porte / Vuelta: ?

Sky
Giro: Landa or Poels / Tour: Froome / Vuelta: Landa or Poels or Froome

Trek
Giro: Mollema! / Tour: Contador / Vuelta: Likely Contador

Lotto-NL
Giro: Kruijswijk / Tour: Unknown (maybe neither Gesink or Kruijswijk) / Vuelta: Gesink?

Baharin
Giro: Nibali / Tour: ? (possibly Izagirre or Purito) / Vuelta: ? (possibly Purito or Izagirre)

Movistar
Giro: not known (could be Valverde) / Tour: Quintana / Vuelta: Valverde, Quintana or both

FDJ
Giro: Most likely Pinot / Tour: ? / Vuelta: ?

AG2R
Giro: ? (Pozzovivo or Frank?) / Tour: Bardet / Vuelta: ? (Latour?)

Etixx
Giro: Jungels again? / Tour: Martin / Vuelta: De La Cruz again?

Orica
Not decided yet other than Chaves and Yates Brothers are the leaders

Cannondale
The same as last year? ; Giro = Uran, Tour = Rolland, Vuelta = Talansky?

Orica
Not decided yet other than Chaves and Yates Brothers are the leaders

Giant
Giro: Big Tom? / Tour: Barguil / Vuelta: Barguil AND Big Tom?

TJ
Meintjes is likely to be Tour leader but is Costa going to target a GC?

Soudal
No real GT riders, Gallopin being the closest. Maybe he targets a top 10 spot in Tour De France?

Dimension
No serious GT riders, therefore no captains?

Katusha
I think Zakarin wants to give the Giro another go. No idea who will lead the Tour or Vuelta. Maybe Taaramäe for the Tour?

Sources:
http://www.denik.cz/ostatni_sport/konig-opousti-sky-vraci-se-do-tymu-bora-na-tour-2017-bude-lidrem-20160920.html
http://sport.tvp.pl/27258397/majka-w-2017-roku-chcialbym-pojechac-w-vuelcie-i-giro-ditalia
http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/Plutot-giro-et-vuelta-pour-fabio-aru-en-2017/739778
http://sport.tv2.dk/cykling/2016-10-18-jakob-fuglsang-alt-tyder-paa-jeg-bliver-tour-kaptajn
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/porte-set-to-make-2017-debut-at-tour-down-under/
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/tour-de-france/froome-pleased-2017-tour-de-france-route-organisers-try-inspire-attacking-racing-290514
http://www.cyclingpro.net/spaziociclismo/transferts/ciclomercato-landa-rimane-in-sky
http://www.skysports.com/cycling/news/15264/10137127/team-skys-wout-poels-keen-to-lead-team-sky-at-future-grand-tour
https://www.procycling.nl/2016/10/19/bauke-mollema-2017/
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-confirms-he-will-target-the-tour-de-france-in-2017/
http://www.wielerrevue.nl/2016/07/11/kruijswijk-2017-twijfel-tour-alles-op-giro/
http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/26836487/__Gesink___Geen_klassement_in_Tour_2017___.html
http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/nibali_hoping_to_target_100th_giro/
http://www.elespectador.com/deportes/ciclismo/podra-nairo-quintana-ganar-el-tour-2017-articulo-660904
http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/pinot_in_2017_i_will_focus_on_the_giro/
http://www.nation.co.ke/sports/othersports/Froome-and-Bardet-eye-2017-Tour-de-France-mountain-duel/1951306-3421760-u3ssxlz/
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dan-martin-the-tour-de-france-is-where-its-at/
http://www.francetvsport.fr/videos/video-les-etapes-cles-du-tour-de-france-2017-363689
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
1
0
Majka also wants the Tour, so I could see Bora sending the Buchmann/Konrad combination that was already tested at this years Giro del Trentino to the Giro (and maybe also the Vuelta) and Bennett with a sprint train.
Superman Lopez himself wants ride the Giro as a superdomestiqe for Aru and the Vuelta as a leader. At the Tour it's probably going to be Birdsong as the team leader, but I'd also bring Aru as a stagehunter (after riding the Giro as the teamleader), let him ride the Tour without having to ride for gc, the guy badly wants to redeem himself. They should also let Scarponi ride the same way like they did this year, superdom at the Giro, plan b for the Vuelta.
 
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Majka also wants the Tour, so I could see Bora sending the Buchmann/Konrad combination that was already tested at this years Giro del Trentino to the Giro (and maybe also the Vuelta) and Bennett with a sprint train.
Superman Lopez himself wants ride the Giro as a superdomestiqe for Aru and the Vuelta as a leader. At the Tour it's probably going to be Birdsong as the team leader, but I'd also bring Aru as a stagehunter (after riding the Giro as the teamleader), let him ride the Tour without having to ride for gc, the guy badly wants to redeem himself. They should also let Scarponi ride the same way like they did this year, superdom at the Giro, plan b for the Vuelta.
Majka has already comfirmed that he is targeting the Giro-Vuelta combi and is skipping the Tour in 2017. Check my links in "Sources".

http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/majka_to_focus_on_giro-vuelta_double_in_2017/
http://sport.tvp.pl/27258397/majka-w-2017-roku-chcialbym-pojechac-w-vuelcie-i-giro-ditalia
 
WheelofGear said:
Cannondale
The same as last year? ; Giro = Uran, Tour = Rolland, Vuelta = Talansky?
There's news from today on cyclingews main website that Formolo aims for leadership during the Giro.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/formolo-aims-for-leadership-role-at-giro-ditalias-100th-anniversary/

I also think Talansky should ride either Giro or Tour. With it's big amount of short, explosive climbs, Vuelta suits him the least of the 3 even though he has had the best results there so far. Of course he can ride Vuelta as a 2nd GT.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
1
0
Re: Re:

WheelofGear said:
Mayomaniac said:
Majka also wants the Tour, so I could see Bora sending the Buchmann/Konrad combination that was already tested at this years Giro del Trentino to the Giro (and maybe also the Vuelta) and Bennett with a sprint train.
Superman Lopez himself wants ride the Giro as a superdomestiqe for Aru and the Vuelta as a leader. At the Tour it's probably going to be Birdsong as the team leader, but I'd also bring Aru as a stagehunter (after riding the Giro as the teamleader), let him ride the Tour without having to ride for gc, the guy badly wants to redeem himself. They should also let Scarponi ride the same way like they did this year, superdom at the Giro, plan b for the Vuelta.
Majka has already comfirmed that he is targeting the Giro-Vuelta combi and is skipping the Tour in 2017. Check my links in "Sources".

http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/majka_to_focus_on_giro-vuelta_double_in_2017/
http://sport.tvp.pl/27258397/majka-w-2017-roku-chcialbym-pojechac-w-vuelcie-i-giro-ditalia
Thanks, in an earlier Interview Majka said that he'd like to ride the Tour, so I was a bit confused.
Pinot wants to ride the Giro, but the Team and the Sponsor will probably force him to ride the Tour, maybe he could ride the Giro for gc and go stagehunting at the Tour, but that's probably just wishful thinking.
 
JG Van Gardren should really target the Giro..it has long climbs that suit his style and alot of TT

The more explosive climbs at the Tour suit Porte ...but will TJ play ball and come to the Tour as a fully signed up dom for Porte ? Still think he feels the Tour is where its at for him and at BMC he has first choice of races

He would do well to take a step back like Talansky did and build up some confidence . Vuelta is usually too hot/late for him and Roche went to BMC to lead the Vuelta
 
BTW I am surprised at Majka riding the Giro /Vuelta as he said at end of the Tour he wanted to come to the Tour in 2017 to target GC especially with very little TT in it now

Would have thought Konig would do batter at the Giro

Also think Froome/SKY coukd nearly be goaded into riding the Giro as they are all about the next challenge and making history and maybe could be convinced that Froome could do the double ...which is possible with strong teams at both
 
Oct 31, 2016
275
0
0
Update for Esteban Chavez : he will not do the TDF 2017.
Talking to a local radio station, he said that he still have time ahead of him for the tour and he will wait for a good route. He said also that he likes the Giro and the italian athmosphere a lot. So he will go for another Giro-Vuelta double again next year.

I really wanted him to do the TDF, there is few time trials and the climbs are steeper.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/Pas-de-tour-de-france-pour-esteban-chaves-en-2017/744022
 
Re:

GenericBoonenFan said:
Won't amador be the Movistar leader in the Giro, he finished 4th and 8th in the last editions
He should, he has been very consistent in both Giros, despite lacking climbing talent. The Giro seems to be the only race where he really is able to climb well. But it mainly depends on Quintana.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY