• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Greatness Comes in Small Frames! Lenny, The French Martinez - Thread

lenny-martinez-2023.jpeg

Lenny Martinez; part of the batch of young talented riders promoted from the FDJ conti team to the WT team for this season.
Continuing a proud tradition in his family, with his grandfather, great-uncle, father, and uncle all haven ridden in the past.
Despite his limited height, he is not the shortest member of his family. Here he is, standing next to his dad:

72c10.jpg

Of course at 1.68 (Lenny) and 1.64 (Miguel), they both have perfectly respectable heights!
In fact, according to German Wikipedia, Lenny has the perfect sized body for a climber.

Lenny Martinez – Wikipedia

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
The title is factually correct, but needs to be changed. Call it fate. This guy is going to win a bunch of Tours. And then you want him to have a thread title that makes it sound like he's just one in a row...? :mad:

You want me to jinx the poor kid by declaring him a future winner of the Tour already? If he wins a Tour, I might update it to "Lenny is the newest - and best - French Martinez."

"Lenny is the next/new and improved Kenny" is another option, seeing as they have similar heights, both have Cancer as their zodiac sign and both started their pro careers with FDJ.

You want me to ignore his ancestry. He's got a lineage!
And I really don't focus on riders' zodiacs.

The MVDP thread title doesn't mention his lineage either, which is arguably more impressive.

Unfortunately, I did not make that thread. If I had, the title would be something like this: "Mathieu is the newest Van der Poel, with a touch of Poulidor".
Rule #1:
If a rider has the same surname as one - or more - previous/current noticable riders he/she shall be declared the new(est) of that name.
Of course, in Lenny's case, there have been quite a few riders named 'Martinez', however, he just so happens to be related to the French ones.

You want me to jinx the poor kid by declaring him a future winner of the Tour already? If he wins a Tour, I might update it to "Lenny is the newest - and best - French Martinez."

It needs to be "a mythical rider comes up" now, and when he wins it, it has to be "a mythical rider has arrived". You don't know anything about thread titles. Or next French Tour winners. :mad: He cannot be jinxed. It is his fate.

• Wow
It needs to be "a mythical rider comes up" now, and when he wins it, it has to be "a mythical rider has arrived". You don't know anything about thread titles. Or next French Tour winners. :mad: He cannot be jinxed. It is his fate.

I remember one French guy - Lenny's teammate in fact - who was considered the next French Tour winner.
Look how that turned out!

I'm not removing the "Newest French Martinez" bit.