• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liège-Bastogne-Liège 2021 (April 25th)

As spring dies, will a new monument winner be born?

Men's race
Map
c5c60

bc23b

Recent winners
2020​
Primoz ROGLIC​
2019​
Jakob FUGLSANG​
2018​
Bob JUNGELS​
2017​
Alejandro VALVERDE​
2016​
Wout POELS​
2015​
Alejandro VALVERDE​
2014​
Simon GERRANS​
2013​
Daniel MARTIN​
2012​
Maxim IGLINSKIY​
2011​
Philippe GILBERT​

Women's race
Map
4d0cf

733f2

Recent winners
2020​
Elizabeth DEIGNAN​
2019​
Annemiek VAN VLEUTEN​
2018​
Anna VAN DER BREGGEN​
2017​
Anna VAN DER BREGGEN​

Climbs
Asterisked* climbs are climbed in the men's race only.

Côte d'Awan*
cote-d-awan-aywaille.png

Côte de La Roche-en-Ardenne*
cote-de-la-roche-en-ardenne.png

Côte de Saint-Roch*
saint-roch.png

Côte de Mont-le-Soie*
C%C3%B4te_de_Petit_Thier_Petit_Thier_profile.gif

Côte de Wanne
cote-de-wanne.png

Côte de Stockeu*
stockeu.png

Côte de la Haute-Levée
haute-levee.png

Col du Rosier
rosier-est.png

Côte de Desnié (first 3.6k only)
desnie.png

Côte de La Redoute
la-redoute.png

Côte du Hornay
451.svg

Côte des Forges
DxhSjqLX4AAr-sm.jpg

Côte de la Roche-aux-Faucons
roche-aux-faucons.png

More detailed profile of the categorised section:
EjanvdEX0AEhM_-

Excellent OP.
A go to when they'll be hitting the different côtes on Sunday.

As for the race, I really hope UAE can start. They have a ridiculous team on paper and different options to play with.
Fingers crossed, epic Formolo solo from La Redoute incoming.:cool:
Apparently Fabbro is racing to support Schachmann, Bora could try something. Of course I'm always hoping for a surprise win by Wawa.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Looking forward to this. The route is clearly much better after removing Saint-Nicolas (and Ans) and making Roche-Facons the decisive point.

My bet is on Rogliic or Pogacar here. Don't think neither Ala, Hirschi, Schachmann or Pidcock neither has the form and/or the endurance in such a long and tough race.

Btw: Would the route have been even better with an additional (and easier) climb after Roche Facons?

Last edited:
What Ala did last year was a masterpiece. I'm curious if Roglic sent him a bottle of good French wine for this (or maybe he will pay back tomorrow by crashing himself and Pogi meters before the line?). It's possible: I'm definitely expecting these three guys in the winning group (if Pog rides, hopefully he will!).

Looking forward to this. The route is clearly much better after removing Saint-Nicolas (and Ans) and making Roche-Facons the decisive point.

My bet is on Rogliic or Pogacar here. Don't think neither Ala, Hirschi, Schachmann or Pidcock neither has the form and/or the endurance in such a long and tough race.

Btw: Would the route have been even better with an additional (and easier) climb after Roche Facons?
If they must keep Côte de la Roche-aux-faucons, I'd like Côte de Colonster afterwards. And with the former still in the finale, I don't think Côte des Forges does anything good.

LBL is a different race and a different finish involved, compared to the FW, still you likely wouldn't want a cheerful and punchy Alaphilippe besides you on the finish line. Multiple teams are likely aware of that and will likely be prepared to make the race harder. There are chances we will get to see something long(er). Maybe by jumping on Mohoričs train. Still, it could come down to a fist fight. Then i guess positioning and the amount of bluff balls will likely end up being a determinant. Tactics will likely play a bigger role on this race.

All in all likely great race ahead!

TRENDING THREADS