• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liquigas. Are they in control of the future?

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Sagan. Moser. Viviani. Caruso. Oss. Ratto. Nerz.

For there ages:

Sagan 1st
Moser 2nd

Viviani 4th (even in a year he is focusing on the Olympics)
Nerz 11th
Ratto 18th

Sky has many talented guys that are young, but they are mostly 1987, and so are too old next year to be considered young riders.

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
This isn't football (or, as it's known in this country, soccer), where teams are permanent fixtures. Who knows if Liquigas is going to be around 5, 10, 15 years from now.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Yeah, if they survive as a team. They already had problems.

But definitely, a team with colourful future ;)

I heard they have found a sponsor now?

but yeah, Liquigas has an embarassment of riches when it comes to young sprinters and classic riders. They do perhaps now lack GC men for the future unless Caruso or maybe Agostini come through.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
gustienordic said:
I'm not sure if I know what you are talking about, what problems?

There's plenty of links about it. Basically Liquigas were pondering exit of pro cycling. But it seems now Cannondale will take over as main sponsor and Liquigas secondary and much smaller one ( sponsor ). Team will become know as Cannondale-Liquigas. That's from Trasnfer news thread ;)

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
this coming from a SKY fan:p

Why ? I didn't hear any sponsor problems about Sky.

But I did plenty about Liquigas exiting pro cycling, many wrote about this in transfer news ; /

Hopefully they stay. I love how they develop their talent. Moser/Sagan combo will be scary though... :eek: :D

SetonHallPirate said:
This isn't football (or, as it's known in this country, soccer), where teams are permanent fixtures. Who knows if Liquigas is going to be around 5, 10, 15 years from now.

The Team will remain with a different sponsor. Same DS, same management, based in the same country.
There are plenty of teams in the current peloton which has been around for about 10-15 years' albeit with different names and sponsors.
AG2R- 1992 with AG2R name from 2000.
Euskatel- 1994
FDJ-1997
Liguigas-1999
Lotto-1985
Movistar-1980. Org is a continuation from reynolds & banesto teams
Quick Step-2003
Rabobank-1984
Saxo bank-1998, Initially as jack & jones then as CSC, but under same guy,

In the pro Conti Level

Coffidis-1997
Europcar-2000.

There were a large number of fold ups in the llate 90s, early 00s due to doping cases, but by & large Cycling teams stay for a considerable number of years.
Most of the new teams are Anglo saxon ones, like OGE, SKy and Garmin.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Why ? I didn't hear any sponsor problems about Sky.

But I did plenty about Liquigas exiting pro cycling, many wrote about this in transfer news ; /

Hopefully they stay. I love how they develop their talent. Moser/Sagan combo will be scary though... :eek: :D

and why that is the problem at first place? Sponsor change happen all the time, so what a big deal? They are still running smoothly and doing a fantastic job in the Tour.

You should worry about your precious SKY. Haven't you heard W and F stop talking to each?? that is not a team problem?

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
and why that is the problem at first place? Sponsor change happen all the time, so what a big deal? They are still running smoothly and doing a fantastic job in the Tour.

You should worry about your precious SKY. Haven't you heard W and F stop talking to each?? that is not a team problem?

Why are you bringing Sky to this ?

And why ? Do you know what happened to HTC. Yeah, that's right. They folded. Same story here can happen. I hope not and things look better, but it can still happen.

And if this happens, then Liquigas are not in control of the future basically ;)

Gloin22 said:
Why are you bringing Sky to this ?

And why ? Do you know what happened to HTC. Yeah, that's right. They folded. Same story here can happen. I hope not and things look better, but it can still happen.

And if this happens, then Liquigas are not in control of the future basically ;)

It will be much easier for a Italian team to find a sponsor than an American team.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
the asian said:
It will be much easier for a Italian team to find a sponsor than an American team.

Indeed. However HTC was most successful team in cycling - and still couldn't find one.

Market is tougher now and even Italian team can find it hard to find it sponsor.

whittashau said:
I heard they have found a sponsor now?

but yeah, Liquigas has an embarassment of riches when it comes to young sprinters and classic riders. They do perhaps now lack GC men for the future unless Caruso or maybe Agostini come through.

Caruso i thought looked great at the Giro.

Moser and Sagan could also be GC riders in the future.

TRENDING THREADS