• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question Live race coverage in the US, best options?

Mar 6, 2021
Visit site
Hi All - I have tried a string of subscriptions in an attempt to be able to watch the best spring classics, but it appears that I can't get access to races like Paris Roubaix even in subscription services... how is everyone planning to watch the classics? Even Strade Bianche today I can't find... it's frustrating...dang!!!

See the thread
Cycling on USA TV 2019

GCN racepass is the best option this year coupled with NBC Sports Network will get you almost all the big races.

Mar 6, 2021
Visit site
Thanks!! I checked GCN, does anyone know why some events can be watched live, but others are highlights only? Like Paris Roubaix - highlights only. Is this some legal thing with licensing outside of EU? Just wondering how that works.. thanks!

Thanks!! I checked GCN, does anyone know why some events can be watched live, but others are highlights only? Like Paris Roubaix - highlights only. Is this some legal thing with licensing outside of EU? Just wondering how that works.. thanks!
I thought it was because GCN’s feed is tied to Eurosport’s broadcasts, and Eurosport doesn’t have the right to all the races—in the last few years broadcast rights to many French races have been owned by L’equipe.fr or France3

Races NBC holds the US broadcast rights for GCN cannot show the races for in the US and only can show the highlights. Races FloBikes holds the US rights for GCN can't show in the US, only highlights. GCN is living streaming (and allowing for viewing when you have time the entire race) for races no one in the US holds the broadcast rights for.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Easiest US option imo for anyone anywhere on the planet is simply use a Chrome Extension VPN & sign up to Eurosport/GCN/Amazon subscription when it's on offer/sale. Any races that they don't have the rights to during the season, they'll typically be on Sporza, France 2/3, rtbf, rtve etc anyway. So long as you sign up to Eurosport through the VPN of the version of Eurosport you want, it'll accept your credit card in my experience. If you don't, it might not let you subscribe. Even if you have e.g. a British Eurosport Subscription, you can still watch French Eurosport even though not a French Eurosport customer so often don't even need to go off finding other feeds with VPN.

This is the best option, no VPN needed: https://tiz-cycling-live.io/live.php
To each their own. This morning I got to watch Paris-Nice Stage 1, the women’s Alpine World Cup race, and portions of the Nordic WorldChampionships and the European Indoor Athletics Championships, on a combination of RTBF.be, France3.tv, and Eurosportplayer via VPN. Yes, I paid for a VPN service, but since I haven’t gone out to a movie, for dinner, or for drinks for a year now—the amount is a pittance.
But I was glad Tiz existed when I was trying to get free race feeds, and anything that provides more folks with the chance to watch cycling (particularly in the U.S. where subscriptions are so expensive) is a good thing!

See the thread
Cycling on USA TV 2019

GCN racepass is the best option this year coupled with NBC Sports Network will get you almost all the big races.
Thanks. It looks like I have to cancel Flobikes now. What would I miss if I cancel Flobikes this year, do you know?

To each their own. This morning I got to watch Paris-Nice Stage 1, the women’s Alpine World Cup race, and portions of the Nordic WorldChampionships and the European Indoor Athletics Championships, on a combination of RTBF.be, France3.tv, and Eurosportplayer via VPN. Yes, I paid for a VPN service, but since I haven’t gone out to a movie, for dinner, or for drinks for a year now—the amount is a pittance.
But I was glad Tiz existed when I was trying to get free race feeds, and anything that provides more folks with the chance to watch cycling (particularly in the U.S. where subscriptions are so expensive) is a good thing!
I have sources for all of those things for free, which is why I never went VPN, though I have considered it because of the ease of use.

You'd need to compare schedules, I think GW, the Ronde, Amstel in the spring. But you get all the RCS races :). I'm assuming you have NBC Gold.
Yes. Correct I have NBC Gold. I believe I can get The Ronde, GW and Amstel in Tiz-Cycling. I noticed that the RCS races went to GCN+ so I will probably need to change. Three subscriptions are redundant and expensive. Thanks.

Yes. Correct I have NBC Gold. I believe I can get The Ronde, GW and Amstel in Tiz-Cycling. I noticed that the RCS races went to GCN+ so I will probably need to change. Three subscriptions are redundant and expensive. Thanks.

Indeed. My Flobikes doesn't expire until 10/30 and there is no refund. But I will not renew. Whatever falls between the cracks of GCN and NBC I'll catch on Tiz.

It looks like GCN+ does not have replays. That is weird. And the website looks very amateurish. They need to step up the game or leave the rights to someone else!

Yes they do have replays. On the race board it should say Watch Replay on the race. Their major issues are 1-technical issues with loss of feed. 2-The race board reflecting the same message no matter what country you're in. Omloop is a good example. It wasn't shown in the USA yet it shows on the board and post race it has the Watch Reply label but all you get is the same generic error. For Post race Highlights for a race that isn't shown in the USA just scroll down past the error message and select Highlights.
I sent an email to support with some suggestions for relevant error messages and a couple of design modifications and received a nice response.
The site definitely needs some work but once you get used to it it's okay. I like the great quality of the stream picture :).

TRENDING THREADS