• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Lotto Dstny Cycling Team

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

So Lelangue out...
Obviously not a fan of the guy, his transfers and especially his communication style has done the team no good, but I do think the timing of this is super weird and the main problem is the level above, the owners (the Lottery). They have no idea what they want and what they're doing. They're the reason why Lotto is a low budget team because they (Lotto) don't want to put in more money and don't let other sponsors put in more cause they want to be the main title sponsor.

You fire (well not "extend" his contract) your CEO just when every single rider in your team can just walk away? And just after he did all the transfers for next season? And you let him go on for the rest of the year? I wasn't scared about riders or other important people leaving but now I kinda am. Why would anyone stay when you have no idea what direction the team is going on? De Lie signed his new contract with Lelangue, Van Gils did, Moniquet did, Kron did, ... Lelangue just signed Segaert, Lelangue made the u23 team continental, just completely changed the performance cell. If he was doing such a bad job, why let him do his thing for so long?

They have no idea what they want and what they're doing. They're the reason why Lotto is a low budget team because they (Lotto) don't want to put in more money and don't let other sponsors put in more cause they want to be the main title sponsor.
I don't see how the first follows from the latter. It's quite reasonable as a sponsor to want to be the main sponsor of a TdF participating team at the lowest cost possible.

I don't see how the first follows from the latter. It's quite reasonable as a sponsor to want to be the main sponsor of a TdF participating team at the lowest cost possible.

They won't be in the Tour in the future if they don't up their budget or let other sponsors take the first spot in the name like QS did with Soudal. Soudal wanted to put way more money into the Lotto team to build a better team but Lotto wanted to keep being the main sponsor. So Soudal left.

Lotto still lives in the past where you could be a top team without investing over 10M.

Reactions: Sandisfan
5d1a6e2934776-kantoorklerken.gif

In Lelangue's statement today in Belgian press it sounds more like it was his own decision. He also has signed with another WT team already.

(gt) “There is no noise at all on the line,” it sounds. “We have had a few good years in which important decisions have been made. We have restructured the team and invested in the youth. Our promise team will take the step to the continental category next year. That is the best proof and we are focusing even more on performance by strengthening our framework. The women's team is also fully integrated into the whole. Moreover, with 25 wins, we are having one of our best seasons. The squad is on track and I feel like my mission is accomplished. Hence the urge for a new challenge.”

Lelangue is also behind the transfers of Degenkolb and Gilbert still. "I don't regret that," it sounds. “Only Philippe fell in the 2020 Tour and that changed everything. But in any case, he has had a major impact: Arnaud de Lie's decision to stay with us as a pledge will be partly determined by the presence of Philippe. As for Degenkolb, I see that he is still in the World Tour at the moment.” Lelangue says that he has already found a new employer. “Cycling remains my passion. I've been in the race for thirty years now and that won't change. I cannot announce exactly what I will be doing from January 1st, but I will remain active in the World Tour.”

https://pressreader.com/article/282222309636697

So Lelangue out...
Obviously not a fan of the guy, his transfers and especially his communication style has done the team no good, but I do think the timing of this is super weird and the main problem is the level above, the owners (the Lottery). They have no idea what they want and what they're doing. They're the reason why Lotto is a low budget team because they (Lotto) don't want to put in more money and don't let other sponsors put in more cause they want to be the main title sponsor.

You fire (well not "extend" his contract) your CEO just when every single rider in your team can just walk away? And just after he did all the transfers for next season? And you let him go on for the rest of the year? I wasn't scared about riders or other important people leaving but now I kinda am. Why would anyone stay when you have no idea what direction the team is going on? De Lie signed his new contract with Lelangue, Van Gils did, Moniquet did, Kron did, ... Lelangue just signed Segaert, Lelangue made the u23 team continental, just completely changed the performance cell. If he was doing such a bad job, why let him do his thing for so long?
Cadel Evans had good things to say about him but I guess a Tour win makes even Cadel smile...........

Bunch of morons both having an ego war while both their tweets do harm to Lotto as a team when they both pretend to care about the team.

They are both at fault.
Dumb and dumber. Though i have to agree with Lelangue on this one. Sergeant and his minions have slowly been running Lotto into the ground for years, with outdated management and horrible in-race tactics. Lelangue going all in with young guys was actually quite refreshing.

Dumb and dumber. Though i have to agree with Lelangue on this one. Sergeant and his minions have slowly been running Lotto into the ground for years, with outdated management and horrible in-race tactics. Lelangue going all in with young guys was actually quite refreshing.

Agreed that's why I said both are at fault. Sergeants leadership turned Lotto into a completely outdated team that their own youngsters wouldn't even sign for anymore.
De Geyter first and then Lelangue tried to fix that and honestly he did do a decent job at it (with Maes and Monfort now leading the performance department they are making steps in the right direction). That being said he did some horrible transfers and his main focus on "only classics team" didn't pay off at all. He communication style was horrible and he didn't help the perception towards Lotto from the outside. I would say that the going all in on youngster was more of an effect of the teams budget decreasing and Lelangue throwing the little money he had at the wrong guys tho.

Anyways it's pathetic from both, acting like their children while they are 63 and 51 years old. Everyone loves Sergeant but his tweet was dumb knowing he is one of the reasons Lotto turned into what it is now and Lelangue reacting is even dumber as it doesn't help the team at all right now. They can't handle any more negative press and Lelangue should know that anything that comes out of his mouth is going to be laughed at. Should shut up now and after this year he can say whatever he wants.

No clausule in contract of Ewan in case of relegation, De Lie : what's in it is confidential, some riders have a special clausule on demand of the team...

No clausule in contract of Ewan in case of relegation, De Lie : what's in it is confidential, some riders have a special clausule on demand of the team...

He was just waffling. Ewan 100% has a clausule cause every single riders has it. It's obligated by the UCI.

Haek realized he was getting himself in trouble so he just gave some vague answers.

as mentioned before, that clause is in the "model contract" handed out by the UCI:

the World Tour "model contract" is in the UCI Road racing rules (on from page 226):

It indeed includes the part "The engagement shall be subject to the registration of the team as a UCI WorldTeam with the UCI. Should such registration not be obtained, the Rider may terminate the present contract without notice or compensation."

The joint agreement also says "The contract shall be drawn up in writing by means of a form corresponding to the sample contract agreed by and between the signatories and approved by the UCI as an insertion in its regulations as a standard contract." So they can probably change some parts, but I would expect the standard version to be used for most.

anyone has access to this article?

TRENDING THREADS