• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Luke Durbridge

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I think he has more scope than Tony Martin. Maybe more David Millar or a lesser Cancellara (not suggesting he's about to become a monument winner) in that he could win TTs, one day races and smaller tours with a TT focus (Eneco, etc, and up to maybe the 2009 TdS parcours which Cancellara won - but that would top out his GC abilities)

PCutter said:
I think he has more scope than Tony Martin. Maybe more David Millar or a lesser Cancellara (not suggesting he's about to become a monument winner) in that he could win TTs, one day races and smaller tours with a TT focus (Eneco, etc, and up to maybe the 2009 TdS parcours which Cancellara won - but that would top out his GC abilities)
Martin is more talented as a climber than Durbridge is, so I don't know if the latter's scope is really that much bigger. In fact, so far I'm not that impressed by his ability to recover after a few hard stages. I can't imagine him ever winning Paris-Nice or whatever.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
This is sort of my point, Martin climbs well enough for the odd one week race, but durbo is heavier and from his triathlon days struggles to drop the weight. Which says he's either as good as he's going to be or needs another string to the bow. Super Dom? Lead out? Learn to climb a little? Cobbles? There seem to be a few young Aussies with the physical characteristics of cobbled riders, but no experience.

TRENDING THREADS