• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Marianne Vos/womens cycling thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Moose McKnuckles said:
So is Marianne Vos.

Kirsten Wild took Mariannes ticket to the Olympics.

edit: She beat Marianne in a 1n1 for a ticket to the WC last year. Not for the Olympics.

Kirsten is a real strong woman. She will and can never be as slim as for example Marianne Vos. Sure she can lose some weight right now, but she will always be pretty big. Her legs are probably very very strong.
I prefer slim bodies, but this is the way she is build.

HL2037 said:
If Kirsten Wild has a job on a pro team and is winning stages, then she doesn't need to look professional - she is professional. If her look collides with some people's esthetic ideals of what a pro athlete should look like, then those ideals are too narrow.

Imagine discussing the justification of male cycling based on the look of the athletes. How superficial can you people be?! The whole sport must be cancelled, George Hincapie is simply too ugly. Really?

Sorry I'm not buying that. We're not talking about catwalk models here, we're talking about professional athletes. The question is whether Kirsten is in the kind of shape that will enable her to perform at her ultimate potential. She isn't. She's about 10kgs away from it.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Polyarmour said:
Sorry I'm not buying that. We're not talking about catwalk models here, we're talking about professional athletes. The question is whether Kirsten is in the kind of shape that will enable her to perform at her ultimate potential. She isn't. She's about 10kgs away from it.

You seem so sure, do you mind sharing the reasoning behind your claim?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't that Van Vleuten win all the time because Vos is marked? I would be ****ed off by that more than the collarbone. :eek:

Anyway, she's a fighter all-right.

El Pistolero said:
Doesn't that Van Vleuten win all the time because Vos is marked? I would be ****ed off by that more than the collarbone. :eek:

Anyway, she's a fighter all-right.
On the other hand, Annemiek is good enough to stay away whenever anybody's over-marking Vos. Vos is still able to win more than enough without worrying about Annemiek getting a few wins here and there because of it.

At least until Annemiek wins the rainbow stripes, of course!

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I think it's time to have a thread on the greatest female cyclist of all time (yes, she's better than Jeannie Longo because Vos also does cross and is mighty good at it). Plus it's good to give women's cycling its share of space on the CN forum.

I haven't heard of this kind of dominance since reading about Eddy Merckx's career, as I'm too young to have seen Merckx race live. This is truly incredible.

How do you see her career evolve from now on? What do you suggest to keep someone so dominant motivated? What were your favourite Vos moments?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
She definitely deserves her own thread.

TheEnoculator said:
What were your favourite Vos moments?

favorite Vos moment Without a doubt the world champs a few days ago, when she just rode away from her breakaway companions like they were standing still. And scored the 3rd fastest ascent of the Cauberg in history. And when you consider that she had been 2nd every between 2007 until now that makes it all the more impressive.

There was a thread a few years back, which major pro cyclist has the least haters.

I believe this should be the winner.

Afrank said:
And scored the 3rd fastest ascent of the Cauberg in history. And when you consider that she had been 2nd every between 2007 until now that makes it all the more impressive.

What do you mean by 3rd fastest ascent in Cauberg history?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
There was a thread a few years back, which major pro cyclist has the least haters.

I believe this should be the winner.

What do you mean by 3rd fastest ascent in Cauberg history?

Saw it here http://climbing-records.blogspot.ro/2012/09/caubergs-fastest-times-phil-sets-new.html
But now that I look closer it looks like they were just listing the times of the woman and U23 men in comparison to Gilberts record. My mistake :eek:.

Still though, only 20 seconds slower than Gilbert on the Cauberg isn't too bad.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, I only started following Vos closely this year, me being a Rabo/Giant fan.

I think the London gold really takes the cake for me. That was epic racing that rivalled Cadel Evans' stage 7 win in 2010 Giro.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
The greatest I've seen of her, so far, is her fist Giro win in 2011. I knew she could sprint, win from small break-away groups, win solo, win in the field, win on the track (don't forget, she is also an Olympic gold medalist on track), and ride well on mountain stages, but actually winning the hardest stage race in the women's peloton, the Giro Donne, was a revelation for me. She won 50% of the stages in 2011, including big mountain stages, not just bunch sprints, which she also did.

It wasn't just a one year fluke, she repeated that trick this year, winning 5 of 9 stages (56%, but that's inflated, 2011 edition had 10 stages).

That said, there's one thing she could improve: time trailing. She has won major time trails, but at the Olympics she had a total off-day and there are better time trailers in the women's peloton. But, hey, you got to leave some races for the competition, else they might quit demoralized and demotivated.

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
WillemS said:
That said, there's one thing she could improve: time trailing. She has won major time trails, but at the Olympics she had a total off-day and there are better time trailers in the women's peloton. But, hey, you got to leave some races for the competition, else they might quit demoralized and demotivated.

Well, two of the best (Judith Arndt and Kristin Armstrong) are now retired. I suspect she'll get stronger in longer time trials as she gets older. Double gold at Rio 2016?

GPdesAmeriques said:
Well, two of the best (Judith Arndt and Kristin Armstrong) are now retired. I suspect she'll get stronger in longer time trials as she gets older. Double gold at Rio 2016?

Any other rider else and I'd think that was maybe a little optimistic, but with Vos you can never rule anything out. After all she'll need something to keep her motivated!

Libertine Seguros said:
This. I was desperately, desperately hoping that Daphny van den Brand could retire on a win, but not a chance, not a chance in hell.

Marianne rode all the way up the X-Duin. Half the elite men couldn't manage that, and no other women.

Thanks for posting that - just watched it again. Amazing riding.

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Rainbow Jersey back in action.

_AHV8546-001.jpg

theyoungest said:
This is one, from the Giro Donne last year. She arrives on top of the Mortirolo together with Emma Pooley, then wins the stage with 1'30" advantage built up on the descent. She's not only the best physiologically, but also technically.
I remember watching the sprint finish for the women's RR at Geelong a couple of years ago. Vos was on the far right and was using the line on the shoulder as a guide when she sprinted. She didn't deviate a mm in a 60 kph bunch sprint.