Marion Jones interview on BBC tomorow.

I know this isnt directly related to cycling, but I think its relevant because of the whole Armstrong investigation, seeing as she is one of the few people to be targeted in a (federal ?) investigation, and even went to prison.

This is what she is going to talk about, the drugs and the investigation.

So those of you who can watch it, im telling you its on ;)
 
Thanks Hitch.

It will be interesting to see to what extent she acknowledges doping, let alone provides any sinse of remorse. As noted in other threads, the TV interview(s) didn't give much of a sense of this.

Of course, it was not for doping that she went to jail - but she has had medals stripped.

Dave.
 
I watched her interview on The Daily Show and it sounded to me like she blamed the whole thing on the people around her, claiming she didn't know she was doping at the time, at which point I had to turn it off, my undying love for Jon Stewart notwithstanding.
 
Oct 8, 2010
450
0
0
D-Queued said:
Thanks Hitch.

It will be interesting to see to what extent she acknowledges doping, let alone provides any sinse of remorse. As noted in other threads, the TV interview(s) didn't give much of a sense of this.

Of course, it was not for doping that she went to jail - but she has had medals stripped.

Dave.
Marion Jones is is till the same liar she was before she went to prison. I saw her on Jonathan Stewart Show a few weeks ago and she said two (2) outright lies:

1.) That she voluntarily returned her Olympic medals after it was shown she took doping substances (she still claims she didn't know she was taking doping products).

The LIE: The Court of Arbitration for Sport issued a ruling that disqualified her results from the Olympics.

2.) That she never knowingly doped, but only took "unknown" substances provided to her by BALCO.

The LIE: She wrote checks to BALCO for thousands of dollars for what she claims were injections of "vitamins." What honest person thinks that injectable vitamins cost thousands of dollars for a few injections?

You can watch her lying right here:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-november-15-2010/marion-jones
 
Sep 14, 2010
212
0
0
TERMINATOR said:
Marion Jones is is till the same liar she was before she went to prison. I saw her on Jonathan Stewart Show a few weeks ago and she said two (2) outright lies:

1.) That she voluntarily returned her Olympic medals after it was shown she took doping substances (she still claims she didn't know she was taking doping products).

The LIE: The Court of Arbitration for Sport issued a ruling that disqualified her results from the Olympics.

2.) That she never knowingly doped, but only took "unknown" substances provided to her by BALCO.

The LIE: She wrote checks to BALCO for thousands of dollars for what she claims were injections of "vitamins." What honest person thinks that injectable vitamins cost thousands of dollars for a few injections?

You can watch her lying right here:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-november-15-2010/marion-jones
Jeez, she even lies about the fight that put her into solitary. I believe the proper term for a cellmate who does your laundry is "b!*@h". And, why would her cellmate be mad about not having to do her laundry?

I could see that happening with LA. Some fanboy goes to jail so he can be cellmates with the guy. It wouldn't exactly be sniffing the chamois, but prison jump suits absorb the same sweat.
 
Apr 14, 2010
727
0
0
Watching her on Jon Steward (Int'l Edition) made my stomach churn. I can't believe she was cheered onto the stage. As someone who watched her run in Sydney I would have booed for the fraud she committed on the world.

To add further insult she was completely unrepentant, blamed everyone but herself (even though juniors trying to break into national teams know they are solely responsible for what they ingest), and almost sounded like her 4x100m relay team mates should make and effort to build a bridge. These 3 (possibly) innocent runners who had their medals - their life's goal - taken off them so that Jones could grab some chemical enhanced glory. It was disgraceful. Of course, if she were a cyclist it would just be 'that dirty sport'!
 
Jun 19, 2009
5,220
0
0
TERMINATOR said:
Marion Jones is is till the same liar she was before she went to prison. I saw her on Jonathan Stewart Show a few weeks ago and she said two (2) outright lies:

1.) That she voluntarily returned her Olympic medals after it was shown she took doping substances (she still claims she didn't know she was taking doping products).

The LIE: The Court of Arbitration for Sport issued a ruling that disqualified her results from the Olympics.

2.) That she never knowingly doped, but only took "unknown" substances provided to her by BALCO.

The LIE: She wrote checks to BALCO for thousands of dollars for what she claims were injections of "vitamins." What honest person thinks that injectable vitamins cost thousands of dollars for a few injections?
You can watch her lying right here:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-november-15-2010/marion-jones
And what Olympic level athelete with her long competitive history doesn't know exactly what's injected into her body? I can't name any. What vitamins do you need to inject when you are an elite athelete that mostly needs to eat, sleep, train...that answer is none.
Even Oprah wouldn't give her a second tour on the Couch of Redemption.
 
Mar 4, 2010
1,826
0
0
Oldman said:
And what Olympic level athelete with her long competitive history doesn't know exactly what's injected into her body? I can't name any. What vitamins do you need to inject when you are an elite athelete that mostly needs to eat, sleep, train...that answer is none.
Even Oprah wouldn't give her a second tour on the Couch of Redemption.
Thomas Frei said cyclists receive legal injections of vitamins, nutrients, magnesium and what not... More specifically he said that at first he wouldn't even take those legal injections.

Not that I believe Marion's BS.
 
Jun 19, 2009
5,220
0
0
Tyler'sTwin said:
Thomas Frei said cyclists receive legal injections of vitamins, nutrients, magnesium and what not... More specifically he said that at first he wouldn't even take those legal injections.

Not that I believe Marion's BS.
My point is that a good diet is adequate enough; even for a 3 week stage racer on the bike for 6 hours a day. A track sprinter needing to inject vitamins? Nonsense.
 
Tyler'sTwin said:
Thomas Frei said cyclists receive legal injections of vitamins, nutrients, magnesium and what not... More specifically he said that at first he wouldn't even take those legal injections.

Not that I believe Marion's BS.
And JV has confirmed directly that they are a 'no needles' team.

I don't believe Marion's BS. And, am skeptical of vitamin injections. Please provide confirming chemical analysis and third party oversight.

Dave.
 
Folks, the Jon Stewart interview was nothing compared to the ESPN sports documentary "Press Pause". It's part of their excellent "30 For 30" series.

I vomited quite a number of times while watching it.

Her hubris, lying, and clear lack of remorse is absolutely astounding.

It really is perverse how people insist these athletes should be role models for our youth.
 
Mar 4, 2010
1,826
0
0
Oldman said:
My point is that a good diet is adequate enough; even for a 3 week stage racer on the bike for 6 hours a day. A track sprinter needing to inject vitamins? Nonsense.
And my point is that this practise is in use in cycling whether you think it's necessary or not. It's possible that sprinters do it as well if they believe it speeds up recovery since that would obviously help in training.
 
Berzin said:
....

It really is perverse how people insist these athletes should be role models for our youth.
According to her attorney,

JOE BURTON, ATTY. FOR MARION JONES: "She's been defamed by Mr. Conte, who has finally publicly stated that she used illegal performance enhancing drugs, and she has and continues in this litigation to categorically deny that."

...

"Ms. Jones is the most tested athlete in sports. She's passed over 160 drug tests, and she's never taken performance-enhancing drugs, and we're going to prove that"
That should be an excellent role model situation - something for today's youth to aspire to and a new record to be broken.

Dave.
 
Jun 22, 2009
794
0
0
from the daily show appearance it looks like she hasn't learned a single thing. i want to, but i cannot feel the least bit sorry for marion jones so long as she continues to deflect blame and insult our intelligence.

they say we all travel the same path but we just get where we're going at different times. if that's true, then marion jones is stuck in super slow motion.
 
Nov 24, 2010
263
1
0
Question 1: Marion, you knew what BALCO's main business was? ......ah.....yes
Question 2: Marion, did you believe BALCO were in the vitamin business as well? ......ah.....well.....ah.....
In my opinion, I dont believe she could truthfully answer question 2

The audience claps as she walks onto the stage. Does that mean the general public still adore this 'champion'?

"Marion is the most tested athlete in sports AND never tested positive". Where have I heard that bs spin before?

cheers dallas
 
Tyler'sTwin said:
Thomas Frei said cyclists receive legal injections of vitamins, nutrients, magnesium and what not... More specifically he said that at first he wouldn't even take those legal injections.
Sorry, but I think this has been dealt with elsewhere - AFAIR no injections are legal any longer, hence the illegality of the 09 syringes from the Tour, no matter what's in them?

Dallas_ said:
The audience claps as she walks onto the stage. Does that mean the general public still adore this 'champion'?
Hopefully it just means they're in a tv show where somebody holds a "CLAP NOW" sign.

Unbelievable! As I'm writing this the BBC is showing a 30 sec bite from an interview with her aired last night (Insight). Yes, she definitely looks like she's lying - why does she bother? She could just move on...
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
JPM London said:
Sorry, but I think this has been dealt with elsewhere - AFAIR no injections are legal any longer, hence the illegality of the 09 syringes from the Tour, no matter what's in them?



Hopefully it just means they're in a tv show where somebody holds a "CLAP NOW" sign.

Unbelievable! As I'm writing this the BBC is showing a 30 sec bite from an interview with her aired last night (Insight). Yes, she definitely looks like she's lying - why does she bother? She could just move on...
that could be applied to lots of former athletes.
 
Does anybody make any sens of what she's saying?

Just heard another tidbit of her interview. She's also saying that she thinks "society would have benefited more from just stripping her for victories and fame than putting her away for 6 months".

Sorry, didn't you also say you were innocent? Or am I missing something?
 
JPM London said:
Does anybody make any sens of what she's saying?

Just heard another tidbit of her interview. She's also saying that she thinks "society would have benefited more from just stripping her for victories and fame than putting her away for 6 months".

Sorry, didn't you also say you were innocent? Or am I missing something?
Many moons ago, I worked briefly in criminal defence, and back then it was called 'stacking the case'.

You went out with your first line being "my client is innocent" but - and you'll love this - you also had another line ready if you thought the jury wouldn't buy the first, sort of like: "and anyway punishing my client with the appropriate sentence won't help him rebuild his life, become a useful citizen etc". You built lots of these lines from the facts.

It was like holding a position on a battlefield but getting others ready in the rear in case you had to fall back. The result was a stronger, layered battlefield which you hoped would swing the battle in your favour.

Marion has obviously spent a lot of time around lawyers and has learned how to put her case. She's had plenty of time to rehearse and now she's publishing her cribnotes to pay off the lawyers, layer upon layer of them. :)
 
Jul 11, 2010
177
0
0
Someone in the know (RR?) correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the purpose of injecting vitamins is to reduce the load on the liver versus ingesting the vitamins orally. The demands on the body are enough during a grand tour that apparently the difference in rider fatigue is substantial (at least anecdotally).

That said, I've lost all respect for Marion Jones. There is no way I believe that bilge.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY