• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Matej Mohoric: Junior & U-23 world champ

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Similar to the last time. I think it's fine.

DhgrFSYX0AIlXr-.jpg

Reactions: Sandisfan
So, he joined the club of stage winners in all Grand Tours. And there is a pretty remarkable fact hiding there:

He has never won a Grand Tour stage that wasn't the longest stage in the race.

And at least his Giro and Tour wins have been on days that will be forever remembered by the participating riders. I have heard a lot of riders referring to that Giro day as one of the craziest race days in their careers, and I would imagine yesterday to belong in that bracket too. Maybe a bit less intense, though.

Apr 30, 2021
Visit site
M. Mohorič is a very specific rider. He will never be a serial winner. But he is obviously very picky in choosing the stages where he will attack. The fact that he is usually a domestique also doesn’t help much. But yes ... he is very unique and recognizable by his driving style. Especially his crazy descents are ... pure beauty .
Also monuments Milan Sanremo and LBL siuts him very well. Hope , he will get a proper shot there in future years.

He talked about another stage yesterday that was supposed to be appropriate for him?
I don't know which one ... 10th, 14th ?! Both stages are with a suitable descent towards the end, but not so long.

Apr 30, 2021
Visit site
I agree, the gesture was unnecessary. But a man cannot be judged on the basis of one gesture. First, the guy isn’t stupid, far from ... Mitja (Moho) is actually a pretty intelligent young man. He was a “zlati maturant” (I don’t know the right term for ... you know when someone gets the highest grades at graduation) and was supposed to study math and physics, but eventually opted for professional cycling.
And secondly, Mitja as a person is honest, direct and always ready to help his comrades and submit to team goals. That is why he is even more appreciated by some Slovenian fans than the big two ... Rog & Pog .

I agree, the gesture was unnecessary. But a man cannot be judged on the basis of one gesture. First, the guy isn’t stupid, far from ... Mitja (Moho) is actually a pretty intelligent young man. He was a “zlati maturant” (I don’t know the right term for ... you know when someone gets the highest grades at graduation) and was supposed to study math and physics, but eventually opted for professional cycling.
And secondly, Mitja as a person is honest, direct and always ready to help his comrades and submit to team goals. That is why he is even more appreciated by some Slovenian fans than the big two ... Rog & Pog .

Yes, I thought of him as an intelligent guy with some great descending skill, so he wasn't my favourite cyclist but clearly on the positive side. One has to ask why an intelligent person reacts like that, but on the other hand everyone does something stupid now and then.

Reactions: CJCycling
Can somebody please explain to me why his celebration was so outrageous? I don't get it. So we expect everybody to smile at the camera and raise their hands like robots everytime?

With the gesture he clearly expressed what he thinks about the situation: "I know I did nothing wrong. I have faith in my team. The accusations are unnecessary." He then followed with the explanation in the interview.

I loved the celebration. I applaud him for that.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Why you keep calling him Mitja? I don't know if it's on purpouse or not, but his name is Matej.

I think people from different generations will likely look at his celebration with very different eyes.

I'm younger than Matej - for someone from my generation that gesture would mean something like 'shut up haters', in the same spirit in which you write 'GG n00bs' in an online lobby after winning a match. So, not an especially professional gesture but still only the frustrated and relatively innocent act of a young guy who believes he's been wronged either by the authorities or by 'jealous' members of the peloton.

I didn't think of Armstrong's gesture (which was specifically aimed at one rider) and its omertà significance simply because I wasn't (regrettably) watching GT stages as a toddler - in fact I wasn't even aware of the episode until today. Maybe Matej was, but I really doubt he meant anything similar to that.

Regardless of this controversy I thought that was a very gutsy ride and one that deserves to be remembered on its own merit. So chapeau MM!

TRENDING THREADS