• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Matteo Jorgenson has now outclassed his peers from the Chambery-system

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Another awesome ride for him!

Ceiling wise I'd go with

1a) Sheffield
1b) Jorgenson
3 ) Simmons
4 ) Ricitello
5 )McNulty
6 ) Kuss
I don't quife get that list. Is that supposed to be a ranking of the % each is likely to improve? Because it's weird not to have Powless on there when he's still showing an upward arc in his performance and already has shown he can win. Whereas Simmons didn't look any better in Strade this year than last year, and that's supposed to be the race best suited to him.
I get where you have Kuss, since we know what he can do and what his ceiling is. Although you could argue that the others haven't won GT stages or been at the pointy end of the race in critical Tour stages, the others haven't reached his heights.

Anybody know if he enjoys cobbles and bad weather? I pretty much figured he could do well on these roads, but i didn't have him pegged as a rider who would like it or be motivated to rider Flemish classics. I assumed he'd be more of a hilly classics (which he still might obviously) and 1 week stage racer. Funny to see Movistar being well represented in the race though.

Reactions: Sandisfan
From my perspective, Sheffield has the best potential to be a top rider, largely because of Ineos and their ability to develop talent. And he's got a fabulous skill set, plus he seems really level headed.

Jorgensen is definitely on the way up, and finally winning seems to be great for his confidence. He may have to decide between classics or climbing.

I'm not an expert but I think Simmons is in need of a different training approach, or maybe needs to work with a better DS on strategy. He seems to expend a lot of energy for the benefit of others.

I don't quife get that list. Is that supposed to be a ranking of the % each is likely to improve? Because it's weird not to have Powless on there when he's still showing an upward arc in his performance and already has shown he can win. Whereas Simmons didn't look any better in Strade this year than last year, and that's supposed to be the race best suited to him.
I get where you have Kuss, since we know what he can do and what his ceiling is. Although you could argue that the others haven't won GT stages or been at the pointy end of the race in critical Tour stages, the others haven't reached his heights.

Yeah, messed that up........Powless was supposed to be 2, right ahead of Simmons. Not enough coffee I guess.

I think Simmons needs some sort of a change just as Bolder said. Perhaps a complete overhaul......new team might be the type of reset that could propel him forward. I feel the same for Ricatello, I question if IPT will help his career or end up costing him a few lost seasons.

Yeah, messed that up........Powless was supposed to be 2, right ahead of Simmons. Not enough coffee I guess.

I think Simmons needs some sort of a change just as Bolder said. Perhaps a complete overhaul......new team might be the type of reset that could propel him forward. I feel the same for Ricatello, I question if IPT will help his career or end up costing him a few lost seasons.
Interesting re:Simmons, hope that can work out.

Anybody know if he enjoys cobbles and bad weather? I pretty much figured he could do well on these roads, but i didn't have him pegged as a rider who would like it or be motivated to rider Flemish classics. I assumed he'd be more of a hilly classics (which he still might obviously) and 1 week stage racer. Funny to see Movistar being well represented in the race though.
He rides around Boise to Stanley Idaho so the answer to both is yes. You don't have much of a choice. The gravel hills are as steep as you can manage. Road hills are long and many can top out at 9,000' so it's a mixed bag. I haven't met him but those that have said he can do most anything for training.

Ineos, UAE, Soudal Quickstep and Trek Segafredo were all interested apparently. I can't say I'm surprised at that.

Jorgenson was probably one of the best riders on the market for this years transfer season

He definitely won't after this year so far. Mas doesn't really warrant 100% support in the Tour, and so he should have a lot of freedom to try to go for a top-10 or chase stages.
Mas is the (distant) third favourite, of course he warrants complete support. That should still leave room for breakaways for Jorgenson, but not GC and no free role in most stages.

TRENDING THREADS