• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Matteo Jorgenson has now outclassed his peers from the Chambery-system

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
But my point is that I thought it was Swedish because it ends in 'son', rather than 'sen' (with the ö just disappearing over the years/at some point). However, kristo confirmed that it was indeed originally Danish, ending with 'sen'.

Swedish names usually also has the double "ss" instead of just one s.

It is never an ö in "son" at the end. It is before if it is in the name.

And son literally means "son" in swedish too. That is where the surname derives from back in the day. If the fathers name was Erik. The sons surname would be Eriksson. Like Eriks son. Hence the double ss. Now they dont make surnames like that no more. The family name just continues.

Swedish names usually also has the double "ss" instead of just one s.

It is never an ö in "son" at the end. It is before if it is in the name.

And son literally means "son" in swedish too. That is where the surname derives from back in the day. If the fathers name was Erik. The sons surname would be Eriksson. Like Eriks son. Hence the double ss. Now they dont make surnames like that no more. The family name just continues.

I meant it should have been Jörgenson, of course not Jorgensön. Good poin with the double s, though.

And to the others discussing my point of ø not being that hard, you may have points but I still maintain that it wouldn't take more than 10 seconds of concentrated effort to figure out how to open your mouth to make the ø sound, where rolling double r's in Spanish for example require much more practice to master.

He was pretty impressive nonetheless. He was one of the first to react when Brambilla upped the pace on the second to last Giro and only Kwiato, Nibali were following.

He probably ran out of the gas when a later selection was made, but nice to see him fight in such horrible conditions against the big boys.

I'm not saying he wasn't impressive. I'm just saying it wasn't his debut.
And I can't help but wonder if Koronin briefly got him mixed up with a certain Dane. If so, here's a brief cheat-sheet:

Matteo Jorgenson
American.
Italian-sounding given name, Danish-ish sounding surname.
The new version of a French Ag2R rider, who's the new version of another French Ag2R rider, who's...

Mathias Norsgaard (Jørgensen)
Danish.
Danish-sounding names all the way through.
Not - as far as I know - the new version of anyone.

• Haha
Reactions: SafeBet
I'm not saying he wasn't impressive. I'm just saying it wasn't his debut.
And I can't help but wonder if Koronin briefly got him mixed up with a certain Dane. If so, here's a brief cheat-sheet:

Matteo Jorgenson
American.
Italian-sounding given name, Danish-ish sounding surname.
The new version of a French Ag2R rider, who's the new version of another French Ag2R rider, who's...

Mathias Norsgaard (Jørgensen)
Danish.
Danish-sounding names all the way through.
Not - as far as I know - the new version of anyone.

More like it's been too long since the first part of the season actually started.

TRENDING THREADS